Seeking advice as I get started..

  • eturrigiano
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 13, 2014
      Hi all-
      I have been burning the midnight oil every night reading everything I can about xtracycles and my husband and I are ready to do it. We are just looking for some suggestions on what bike to get to attach the free radical to.
      A bit of background... We live in Brooklyn, have 2 kids (a baby and a 5 year old). We both cycle a lot and use our bike as a means of getting our 5 year old to and from school which is approx 1.5 miles from our home.
      Up until now we have just had her in a standard child seat on our bike, but as the new baby approaches 1 year old, I need to be able to cycle with both of them. The free radical with a yepp seat and a hooptie is the perfect solution.
      The issue is that neither of us have a bike that would make a good convert. My husbands bike is too big for me to ride, and my bike is a single speed Linus Mixte with 700c wheels.

      So. Any suggestions on a good bike to look for?

      I'd like 26" wheels for stability. And I've always ridden a steel bike so I think I'd like to stick with that.
      I would like it to be a step through, or at least something that is easy for me to get on and off. I love the look of a mixte frame, but I don't believe I have ever seen a mixte with 26" wheels?
      Of course the look of the bike is not the most important thing to me, but this is a huge purchase for us (we have been saving for quite some time) and it is going to become my primary bike- so I want it to be stylish ; )
      I like a classic look with wrap around handlebars. I saw someone on here used a Civia Loring frame and that looks great.

      Any suggestions?

      We are trying to keep the total cost of the bike and free radical with hooptie to under $1300.

      Thanks so much!
      Liz

      -I also saw a brand new xtracycle radish for sale for $1200. Would that be a good option?
    • hal.ninek@verizon.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 14, 2014
        I would suggest checking out the Edgerunner at http://www.redlanternbicycles.com/ just to see what you might get if you saved up for awhile.  Even though I live in DC, that is where I bought mine back in October when they were difficult to come by.  I think they are the only dealer in Brooklyn that carries them.

        Semi-funny story.  Red Lantern is a sorta hipster bike shop/coffee shop/bar.  I had read they were an Xtracycle dealer, so when in NYC I visited hoping I might find a brand new Edgerunner months before I would get one in DC.  I walked in, and spoke the the very nice tatooed fellow wearing a black tee shirt.  In fact, every person in the place was dressed in black.  So I asked him if he had any Edgerunners in stock and he said yes, there was one that someone decided they didn't want, and it just happened to be in my size.  My hopes soared - i really wanted a baby blue paint job - so I asked him what color it was.  He brought me around the corner, and there were 4 new Edgerunners, all of them in black.  I didn't even ask him if they knew there were other colors.

        So I now have a black Edgerunner my 5 year old calls black beauty.

        Steve Seelig
      • Liam Casey