Need tips on how to carry a large leather chair

  • Ty Smith
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 13, 2014
      Hey Everyone!

      Got my Xtracycle last Friday. Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll get pics up soon.

      This weekend will be surprising my wife by taking her and the dogs for a ride. She still doesn't know about the xtracycle, (my bikes are in the back of the house, so she never sees them),  so my plan is to get the trailer set up to it and then ask her out front to see us off and then offer her a helmet and (hopefully) off we go!

      So also contemplating a big haul. I have a leather chair, similar to the one below, that I want to take to the dump. It's big, but I know not too heavy for the Xtracycle. I'm thinking of strapping it down to the deck and securing it with bungie cords as well. I think I can take the top back rest off.  Other than making sure it doesn't top over when I put it on, being careful stopping, etc.,  is there anything else I should be aware of?

      Also, is this  crazy idea to begin with? Maybe I should start out with a few loads of groceries first...

      Thanks,

      Ty
      Inline image 1
      Thanks,

      Ty
    • rltilley
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 13, 2014
      I'd probably try to put it on the deck upside down with the backrest hanging down behind the bike. That would keep the weight lower. I'd be using straps as well since the bungies would allow the chair to move around too much.

      I have the Sidecar now but I'm not sure the a chair like that would fit on it.

      Robert Tilley
      San Diego, CA

      Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network.

      Message 3 of 4 , Feb 13, 2014
        Well, around here, the standard way to dispose of a big chair is to drag it to the curb where someone will haul it off for you before you make it back to the house, but that's no fun.

        Big boxy stuff like this is kind of the xtracycle's Achilles' heel. Not to say you can't do it, it's just more awkward than almost any other kind of load.

        I'd either lay it over the top of the deck if you can get both arms to sit on the deck with the back dangling off one side. If it's too wide for that I'd probably go with sitting it flat on the deck facing backwards and strap it down with some webbing cam straps. Chair like that's going to be mostly bulk so I'd think that'd be okay as long as you can get it strapped down well enough. For extra credit, dress up a mannequin and sit it in the chair for the ride.

        Good luck! Post pics!
        Jeff

        On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 7:39 AM, Ty Smith <tyjedi@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Ty's Gmail
        Message 4 of 4 , Feb 13, 2014
          That is exactly the point! Anyone can drag it to the curb and leave it with a tasteful "Free" sign on it.

          I scoff at that! Hah!

          I will definitely document this adventure. Thanks for the tips!

          Ty

          Sent from my iThing

          On Feb 13, 2014, at 5:24 PM, Jeff Youngstrom <jeffy@...> wrote:

[...]

          <brown-leather-chair_~OHO0035.jpg>