Edgerunner electric question

  • goldenmatt1812
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2014
      I am about to pull the trigger on an edgerunner custom electric bike.  The entire design is tuned so that I (or my wife) can get up some very steep hills to our sausalito home... with 2 small kids and sometimes groceries...  So keep that in mind.

      I am considering:

      1) Edgerunner with FALCO 750w 48volt system

      2) Edgerunner with Bike.ca new mid-drive nuvinci hub system

      They end up being about the same price.

      Any thoughts?  Once concern... on the Falco, I would have a local shop to support me... on the mid-drive, I would be thousands of miles away from the folks who built it.

      Thoughts anyone?
    • Sam Powrie
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 25, 2014
        I am not familiar with either system. I can't even find the 'BIKE.ca'
        mid-drive you refer to.

        But it does strike me that the Falco drive just looks like a
        Crystalite Crown DD motor running at 48V with some swish wireless
        controls. Stuff I'd distrust until someone could prove to me what the
        advantages are in foregoing a hardwired arrangement that I could fix
        myself!

        I don't know what prices you've been quoted but have you looked at
        comparable 48V Crystalite DD systems from vendors such as ebike.ca?

        Or maybe 48V MAC systems such as em3ev sell? At least you know you
        are buying quality stuff. The battery on the Falco system looks a bit
        dodgy to me. I'd much rather go with a Ping or something from em3ev
        or Ezee. There's nothing so distressing as a heavy e-cargo bike that
        won't go!

        Savvas.
      • Brian Livelsberger

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 25, 2014

            I am not familiar with either of the options you mention but I would steer you towards Michael Bock at Geronimo wheel works right next door in San Geronimo. I've been test riding one of his creations up here in the Foothills and am really impressed with power and options and claimed reliability.

            Michael is a great guy who has been working with Xtracycle to help them develop an electric offering of their own; until then, he is offering his own builds separate from them. The one that he's mostly been selling (originally with the big dummy and now with the edgerunner) is a Crystallite hub with controller and cycle analyst from ebikes.ca and battery from All-Cell.

            Kipchoge

            Sent from my pocket teleportation device

          • Kipchoge Ogie
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 25, 2014

              I wanted to add a couple things. First, I realized that the second bike you were talking about is probably the new stoke monkey? I'm sure it's great, as was the original. Ebikes.ca is a great small company.

              Second, there are lots and lots of electric options out there these days (though few developed specifically for cargo bikes). Many will have all the oomph you need or want, especially when coupled with the small rear wheel the edgerunner. You can go back and forth about the merits of mid drive vs hub, torque sensing vs throttle, regenerative braking vs cogging (the endless sphere forums are a great place to witness this intelligent discussion), etc. To me, the most important feature of an ebike besides just working well is that it be reliable. Most are simply not, especially with the increased demands of a cargo bike.

              Michael says that he has 30 of his builds out on the roads of Marin, many for a couple years,  and basically never sees them back in the shop. This is especially noteworthy given how powerful his bikes are. Anyone who's been in this industry for a few years knows that this is an outstanding record.

              Kipchoge

              Sent from my pocket teleportation device

            • Carolyn Weber
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 25, 2014
                Personally- I would go with the one that a local shop would support you. I personally haven't not tried the FALCO system yet- but I know from experience having that local support can make a world of difference for troubleshooting any issues the crop up.

                --
                Carolyn Weber
                Coast In Bikes- Milwaukee, WI

                Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.  ~Albert Einstein