DIY - Home-made Xtracycle running boards

  • Jeffrey
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 16, 2013
      I know Xtracycle came out with new aluminum side steps to replace their heavier wood ones... but I liked the old wood ones. Looks classy. Here is my take on it.

      -Used 1/2 plywood.
      -Strengthening rib running the full length of the board which is glued and pocket holed with a Kreg jig
      -Rib has two sets of slots to fix a flashlight underneath or for strapping whatever I want under.
      -Re-used my used once wide loader bars and cut them down.
      -3" hole with (3) 2" holes for decoration and to allow me to use as a tie-down if necessary
      -1/4" round-over bit to match the snap-deck profile
      -6 coats of water based poly - although sadly I did not notice until after that the snap-deck uses oil based poly so the color does not match

      Rear lights are some Chinese 90 lumen blue and red flashlights (lost my green for xmas... bummer). Lights up the ground around the bike pretty well and provides some night time visibility.

      Pictures Linked below
      http://imageshack.us/a/img546/5712/scze.jpg
      http://imageshack.us/a/img43/4342/f1tw.jpg
      http://imageshack.us/a/img42/4287/oov8.jpg
      http://imageshack.us/a/img834/6139/e0kw.jpg
      http://imageshack.us/a/img593/8343/r4ca.jpg
      http://imageshack.us/a/img585/9343/oy3l.jpg
      http://imageshack.us/a/img132/94/s44x.jpg
      http://imageshack.us/a/img545/7346/f68r.jpg

      Also added to the gallery so that when the web-hosting dies off eventually, other can get ideas.
    • Devian Gilbert

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 18, 2013
              Thanks all!...

              I forgot the best part of the install and neglected to say at the end of my initial post. I now have a set of wideloader slings that I now cannot use. I think $10 shipped is fair (shipped CONUS) and if someone wants to eMail me or the list if you want it, let me know.

              -Jeff

              --- In ROOTSRADICALS@yahoogroups.com, Lise Kuhr <lisekg@...> wrote:

              > Jeffrey! These look great - well done!
              >
              > > On Dec 17, 2013, at 7:24 AM, Steve Fuller <sfuller@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > The green light would easily be reproducable with a regular white light and piece of that colored gel used for stage lighting. You might be able to buy a small piece through a local theater or lighting supply company.
              > >

              > >> On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 5:21 PM, Jeffrey <jeffrey_hiroshima@...> wrote:
              > >>
              > >> I know Xtracycle came out with new aluminum side steps to replace their heavier wood ones... but I liked the old wood ones. Looks classy. Here is my take on it.
              > >>
              > >> -Used 1/2 plywood.
              > >> -Strengthening rib running the full length of the board which is glued and pocket holed with a Kreg jig
              > >> -Rib has two sets of slots to fix a flashlight underneath or for strapping whatever I want under.
              > >> -Re-used my used once wide loader bars and cut them down.
              > >> -3" hole with (3) 2" holes for decoration and to allow me to use as a tie-down if necessary
              > >> -1/4" round-over bit to match the snap-deck profile
              > >> -6 coats of water based poly - although sadly I did not notice until after that the snap-deck uses oil based poly so the color does not match
              > >>
              > >> Rear lights are some Chinese 90 lumen blue and red flashlights (lost my green for xmas... bummer). Lights up the ground around the bike pretty well and provides some night time visibility.
              > >>
              > >> Pictures Linked below
              > >> http://imageshack.us/a/img546/5712/scze.jpg
              > >> http://imageshack.us/a/img43/4342/f1tw.jpg
              > >> http://imageshack.us/a/img42/4287/oov8.jpg
              > >> http://imageshack.us/a/img834/6139/e0kw.jpg
              > >> http://imageshack.us/a/img593/8343/r4ca.jpg
              > >> http://imageshack.us/a/img585/9343/oy3l.jpg
              > >> http://imageshack.us/a/img132/94/s44x.jpg
              > >> http://imageshack.us/a/img545/7346/f68r.jpg
              > >>
              > >> Also added to the gallery so that when the web-hosting dies off eventually, other can get ideas.

            • jay_dagar
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 22, 2013
                Hi Jeff,
                If you still have the slings I'm interested.
                Email me directly at jay_dagar@...

                jason