Cost effective method for XtraCyle with twins.

  • mwingmaher@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2013

      Hi, I am interested in biking around with my almost 5 year old twins.  I've seeen the hoodie, but it seems a bit expensive ($150).  Has anyone figured out a secure way to carry 2 kids around for less?  Should I just go the hoopdie route?

      I live in the Cambridge/Arlington area, so we live in an urban area where a very secure seating area is required.

      Also, I have 3 kids anyone know if 3 kids would fit in the hoopdie?  My eldest can ride is own bike, but sometimes it would be easier not to have another bike (school drop off/pickup) to worry about.

      Thanks

      marie

    • Evan Lewis
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 5, 2013
        Hey Marie,

        I created my own version of the Hooptie a few years ago (posted previously with video and pictures) and when I retired it, shifted to the official Hooptie, which I now use on an NYC Big Dummy and a summer house Big Dummy.

        Three kids can fit in the Hooptie, it really depend on how big the kids are and how far you're going. I have comfortably had my daughter (6 y.o.), son (4.5 y.o.) and a friend (6 y.o.) in the Hooptie. They are all tall for their respective ages and rode comfortably.

        Regards,
        Evan

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 5, 2013
          What are you starting with?
          And if you want to get a look at a Hooptie,
          you might try Bicycle Belle (local to you),
          she might have one in stock.

          I also saw an EdgeRunner+Hooptie at Harris yesterday in Newton,
          if you wanted to get a look at one in the flesh to decide if it is worth the expense.

          On 2013-11-06, at 12:53 PM, WingMaherMA@... wrote:
          > Hi, I am interested in biking around with my almost 5 year old twins. I've seeen the hoodie, but it seems a bit expensive ($150). Has anyone figured out a secure way to carry 2 kids around for less? Should I just go the hoopdie route?
          >

          > I live in the Cambridge/Arlington area, so we live in an urban area where a very secure seating area is required.
          >

          > Also, I have 3 kids anyone know if 3 kids would fit in the hoopdie? My eldest can ride is own bike, but sometimes it would be easier not to have another bike (school drop off/pickup) to worry about.
          >

          > Thanks
          >
          > marie

        • brad.lide
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 11, 2014

            Sorry so late with the reply.  I used a regular stoker stem and instead of mountain bike handlebars used a Stingray handlebar like a schwinn but go online and get a generic one.  The kid in front has the stingray bars going around them like the hooptie and the one in back has the regular grips on the handlebars.  Because they are open at the back your 5 year olds can climb up with floor boards on your wide loaders.  Cheap solution.