edgerunner frame sizes

  • b295c11a1a0d9dcb286a9762c24bf7b6
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2013
      Hi,
      I am looking to get the 2nd version of the edgerunner, which comes in two frame sizes; unfortunately I can't actually try both bikes to compare the two.  I am 5'8 1/2, ad have a 32" inseam - I have had one dealer steer me toward the larger frame, saying that I will have more options with the handlebar position in the larger model.  Anyone have any thoughts?  Also, anyone in Vancouver BC that has the smaller frame, and would be willing to let me sit on it?  Thanks!
    • Davey Oil
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 3, 2013
        I am an Xtracycle dealer in Seattle. I've ridden both and set up dozens of folks on test rides and sales at this point. I am smaller than you and I am going for the larger size for myself. The smaller frame is pretty darn small.

        Why can't you test ride them? Frustrating!

        If you feel like taking a trip down south I'll show you around the bikes sometime!

        On Dec 2, 2013, at 8:58 PM, <lisekg@...> wrote:

        Hi,
        I am looking to get the 2nd version of the edgerunner, which comes in two frame sizes; unfortunately I can't actually try both bikes to compare the two.  I am 5'8 1/2, ad have a 32" inseam - I have had one dealer steer me toward the larger frame, saying that I will have more options with the handlebar position in the larger model.  Anyone have any thoughts?  Also, anyone in Vancouver BC that has the smaller frame, and would be willing to let me sit on it?  Thanks!

      • Lise Kuhr
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2013
          Hi,
          Thanks for your comment.  Why can't I test drive the two sizes?  One of the two "dealers" is really not a bike shop, and the bike shop that is also a dealer is a small shop, and doesn't always have an edgerunner there.  I have test driven the original edgerunner, but given the huge investment, it would be nice to feel sure about the frame size.  I plan to get the electrified version.
          Thanks again,
          Lise.

          Lise Kuhr

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 3, 2013
            Well, it doesn't sound like you are getting shop-level support for your big purchase. Let me know if you need somebody to bounce ideas off of. Any member of this group is a friend of mine!

            Good choice, by the way. You are going to love the ER, especially electrified.

            Davey Oil

            --
            Davey Oil

            the "O" of
            G&O Family Cyclery,
            a cargo and family bike shop for Seattle,
            now open!

            Riding on Roadways

            is my blog about Roads, Bikes and Pedal Parenting in Seattle.
            Read it at: daveyoil.com
            Also, we twitter: @gofamilycyclery
            Thanks!
          • hal.ninek@verizon.net
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 5, 2013
              I'm 5' 9" and just got the smaller frame size. I will add that I am older perhaps than most purchasers, 53, so moving to a more upright position made more sense to me. I think that is the bottom line here. When you are riding this bike must you have the same more aggressive position you might take on your other bikes? For me the answer was no - I can't think of situation where I need to be leaning more than a little bit forward on the bike. And I still ride my commuting bike with drop bars and have no problems moving back and forth between the two.

              And most of my riding is of the low speed variety simply because that is the nature of things when you are riding with a 4 year old on back. I will say that I flipped the handlebars over a bit so that the rise is lower since I felt like the hand grips were too high before, but I tend to do that on all my non-racing bikes.

              I assure you that when you first get on the smaller frame it will seem weird and not stretched out enough - it did for me on the test ride. But I do think that if you got the longer one, you'd be unhappy as you grew older and wanted a more upright ride.

              On another note, Davey Oil, what is that front basket on your Xtracycle? It looks to be attached to the frame and not the fork. Please dish on how I can get one.

              Steve Seelig, Washington, DC

              --- In ROOTSRADICALS@yahoogroups.com, Davey Oil <daveyoil@...> wrote:

              > Well, it doesn't sound like you are getting shop-level support for your big
              > purchase. Let me know if you need somebody to bounce ideas off of. Any
              > member of this group is a friend of mine!
              >
              > oil@...
              >
              > Good choice, by the way. You are going to love the ER, especially
              > electrified.
              >
              > Davey Oil
              >

              > On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 11:49 AM, Lise Kuhr <lisekg@...> wrote:
              >

              > > Hi,
              > > Thanks for your comment. Why can't I test drive the two sizes? One of
              > > the two "dealers" is really not a bike shop, and the bike shop that is also
              > > a dealer is a small shop, and doesn't always have an edgerunner there. I
              > > have test driven the original edgerunner, but given the huge investment, it
              > > would be nice to feel sure about the frame size. I plan to get the
              > > electrified version.
              > > Thanks again,
              > > Lise.
              > >
              > > Lise Kuhr
              > >
              > > On Dec 3, 2013, at 6:00 AM, Davey Oil <daveyoil@...> wrote:
              > >

              > > I am an Xtracycle dealer in Seattle. I've ridden both and set up dozens of
              > > folks on test rides and sales at this point. I am smaller than you and I am
              > > going for the larger size for myself. The smaller frame is pretty darn
              > > small.
              > >
              > > Why can't you test ride them? Frustrating!
              > >
              > > If you feel like taking a trip down south I'll show you around the bikes
              > > sometime!
              > >
              > > On Dec 2, 2013, at 8:58 PM, <lisekg@...> wrote:
              > >

              > > Hi,
              > > I am looking to get the 2nd version of the edgerunner, which comes in two
              > > frame sizes; unfortunately I can't actually try both bikes to compare the
              > > two. I am 5'8 1/2, ad have a 32" inseam - I have had one dealer steer me
              > > toward the larger frame, saying that I will have more options with the
              > > handlebar position in the larger model. Anyone have any thoughts? Also,
              > > anyone in Vancouver BC that has the smaller frame, and would be willing to
              > > let me sit on it? Thanks!
              > >

              > --
              > Davey Oil
              >
              > the "O" of
              > *G&O Family Cyclery,*
              > a cargo and family bike shop for Seattle,
              > now open!
              > visit familycyclery.com
              >
              > *Riding on Roadways*
              > is my blog about Roads, Bikes and Pedal Parenting in Seattle.
              > Read it at: daveyoil.com
              > Also, we twitter: @gofamilycyclery
              > Thanks!

            • Davey Oil
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 5, 2013
                Hi!
                My black EdgeRunner is a 2013 bike, from the first run. The 2014 bikes are an amazing improvement in just about every way, accept that the earlier bikes had these cool braze-ons on the front for a basket. The one I used is the Yuba Bread Basket, which worked after some modification. I'm bummed that such a frame mounted option will not be available without seriously hacking your bike but a nice big wald basket or Gamoh King Carrier will serve almost as well.

                Davey Oil

              • Lise Kuhr
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 9, 2013
                  Steve,
                  I really appreciate your comments on this matter; I was actually quite sure I would go with the bigger frame, but the test rides swayed me to the smaller frame.  I completely felt like both bikes could work, but the lower step over and easily achieved upright position (and overall feel) helped to convince me.
                  Anyway, thanks, I was close to choosing my bike on spec, and glad that I made a journey to really test the two frames, and your post helped to encourage me.
                  Lise.

                • hal.ninek@verizon.net
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 10, 2013
                    Lise,

                    I'm so glad that was helpful to you. I've been so happy with my bike, as has my 4 year old. Living in DC, the coolest part has been that we can take the bike on the Metro, which really has expanded our ability to do fun stuff.

                    Steve

                    --- In ROOTSRADICALS@yahoogroups.com, Lise Kuhr <lisekg@...> wrote:

                    > Steve,
                    > I really appreciate your comments on this matter; I was actually quite sure I would go with the bigger frame, but the test rides swayed me to the smaller frame. I completely felt like both bikes could work, but the lower step over and easily achieved upright position (and overall feel) helped to convince me.
                    > Anyway, thanks, I was close to choosing my bike on spec, and glad that I made a journey to really test the two frames, and your post helped to encourage me.
                    > Lise.
                    >
                    > > On Dec 5, 2013, at 6:08 AM, "hal.ninek@..." <hal.ninek@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I'm 5' 9" and just got the smaller frame size. I will add that I am older perhaps than most purchasers, 53, so moving to a more upright position made more sense to me. I think that is the bottom line here. When you are riding this bike must you have the same more aggressive position you might take on your other bikes? For me the answer was no - I can't think of situation where I need to be leaning more than a little bit forward on the bike. And I still ride my commuting bike with drop bars and have no problems moving back and forth between the two.
                    > >
                    > > And most of my riding is of the low speed variety simply because that is the nature of things when you are riding with a 4 year old on back. I will say that I flipped the handlebars over a bit so that the rise is lower since I felt like the hand grips were too high before, but I tend to do that on all my non-racing bikes.
                    > >
                    > > I assure you that when you first get on the smaller frame it will seem weird and not stretched out enough - it did for me on the test ride. But I do think that if you got the longer one, you'd be unhappy as you grew older and wanted a more upright ride.
                    > >
                    > > On another note, Davey Oil, what is that front basket on your Xtracycle? It looks to be attached to the frame and not the fork. Please dish on how I can get one.
                    > >
                    > > Steve Seelig, Washington, DC
                    > >
                    > > --- In ROOTSRADICALS@yahoogroups.com, Davey Oil <daveyoil@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Well, it doesn't sound like you are getting shop-level support for your big
                    > > > purchase. Let me know if you need somebody to bounce ideas off of. Any
                    > > > member of this group is a friend of mine!
                    > > >
                    > > > oil@
                    > > >
                    > > > Good choice, by the way. You are going to love the ER, especially
                    > > > electrified.
                    > > >
                    > > > Davey Oil

                    > > > --
                    > > > Davey Oil
                    > > >
                    > > > the "O" of
                    > > > *G&O Family Cyclery,*
                    > > > a cargo and family bike shop for Seattle,
                    > > > now open!
                    > > > visit familycyclery.com
                    > > >
                    > > > *Riding on Roadways*
                    > > > is my blog about Roads, Bikes and Pedal Parenting in Seattle.
                    > > > Read it at: daveyoil.com
                    > > > Also, we twitter: @gofamilycyclery
                    > > > Thanks!

                  • Brian Livelsberger
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 10, 2013

                      Hey, another DC area person, yay! Hope to see you around sometime!

                      Brian,
                      Silver Spring
                      Xtra w. E-bike Kit up front and NuVinci in back.