Stolen big dummy!

  • Liz W Durham
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 31 1:31 PM
      So very angry and sad.
      My bike was stolen late last night. If any of you are in the Chicagoland area and hear of a black older BD for sale...it might be mine!

      I have filed police reports and all.

      Such a terrible terrible thing. From our backyard that has a 6 ft. high privacy fence. Evolution u-lock on it.

      This bike is my "car" for me and my kids.

      --
      -Liz

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 31 1:58 PM
        http://www.searchcraigslist.org/result.php?q=Big%20Dummy

        I would also preemptively post a "stolen bike alert" to Craigslist, and if you have a good picture of the bike and know of some distinctive customizations, spam the local bike stores, too.

        I'm baffled that anyone would steal a cargo bike; they're useful, sure, but the market for them is still pretty small, and they stick out like a sore thumb. I had a tandem stolen earlier this year, and the police spotted some kids riding it, and I got my bike back.

        David

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 31 2:04 PM
          You might try this, too; it seems to also hit Ebay:

          http://www.searchtempest.com/results.php?location=60616&maxDist=400®ion_us=1&search_string=Big+Dummy&keytype=adv&Region=na&cityselect=zip&page=0&category=8&subcat=bia&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max

          I'm starting to think I might want to buy one of those bicycle-theft-tracking devices.
          And why aren't the police doing more with bait bikes?

          David
        • Cara Lin Bridgman
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 31 7:31 PM
            From your own back yard, too! That really sounds intentional and
            directed - not at all as though it were a couple of kids joy riding.

            CL
          • Liz W Durham
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 1, 2013

              I have some notification alerts set up for Chicagoland big dummys for sale.

              Yes, seems a foolish theft. Although it could end up heading to the bike swap...lots of stolen bikes pass through there. And that particular swap is not one to attend alone.

              I have tried to out the word to the bike community but Chicago is a big town. Still, I am hopeful. The power of the spreading word through community can be amazing.

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 1, 2013
                On 2013-11-01, at 9:29 AM, Liz W Durham <lizwdurham@...> wrote:
                > I have some notification alerts set up for Chicagoland big dummys for sale.
                >
                > Yes, seems a foolish theft. Although it could end up heading to the bike swap...lots of stolen bikes pass through there. And that particular swap is not one to attend alone.

                There's also Facebook cargo-biking groups, I'm on one of those, I could mention it there if you aren't there already.

                David
              • lizwdurham
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 1, 2013
                  You know, I posted all over FB EXCEPT to the Big Dummy group! Now who's being the dummy, eh? I will post there. I am not on any other FB cargo bike groups so if you are… that would be a great help!

                  Sent from Windows Mail

                  > I have some notification alerts set up for Chicagoland big dummys for sale.
                  >
                  > Yes, seems a foolish theft. Although it could end up heading to the bike swap...lots of stolen bikes pass through there. And that particular swap is not one to attend alone.

                  There's also Facebook cargo-biking groups, I'm on one of those, I could mention it there if you aren't there already.

                  David

                • bayou_ratt_283
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 1, 2013

                    Don't forget to post it up on the I Love My Surly Big Dummy group on FB.