Roof Rack Suggestions for Xtracycle

  • hal.ninek@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 20 7:15 PM
      I'm the proud owner of a new Edgerunner (bye-bye Weehoo trailer), and am wondering what folks are using to transport their long-tails by car. I already have the Thule Aero bar set-up on my car, and have a strong preference for not having a $2,000 bike on a trunk mount carrier.

      Has anyone used one of the three tandem rack solutions that are on the market? Thule, Yakima and Rocky Mountain all seem to have a fork mount that swivels 90 degrees so that you needn't lift the entire weight over your head. Seems like an elegant solution, as you would expect for something costing $300-$400.

      Any experience would be much appreciated.

      Steve Seelig
    • Neil Schneider
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 20 10:08 PM
        On Sun, October 20, 2013 7:15 pm, hal.ninek@... wrote:

        > Has anyone used one of the three tandem rack solutions that are on the
        > market? Thule, Yakima and Rocky Mountain all seem to have a fork mount
        > that swivels 90 degrees so that you needn't lift the entire weight over
        > your head. Seems like an elegant solution, as you would expect for
        > something costing $300-$400.

        I have the Thule tandem mount on top of my car. If properly positioned, I
        can load our Bilenky Viewpoint tandem by myself. I seem to often forget to
        tie up the handlebars, which is necessary for the pivoting mount to work
        properly. Once it place I feel it's quite secure.

        YMMV

        --
        Neil Schneider velorambler over-at gmail dot com
        http://www.velorambler.com

        Surly Cross Check
        Surly Long Haul Trucker
        Bachetta Giro 26
        Bilenky Viewpoint Tandem
        Bike Friday New World Traveler
        Quest Velomobile (on order)

        __o
        _'\<,_
        (*)/ (*)

        "Work to eat, eat to live, live to bike, bike to work." -- Naomi Bloom
      • Sam Knight
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 21 6:04 AM
          I never finished a project I started to make my own tandem rack out of a regular Thule tray rack, but I'll tell you about what I was cooking.  I started by simply extending a short tray rack by combining two together, bolting them in the middle.  That did NOT work.  It survived the trip, albeit barely and folded up as I was unloading the bike at the end of a 250 mile drive.  My 2nd gen was going to be longer and more sturdy to support a tandem I picked up after that.  I found galvanized chain link fence tubes at Home Depot for not too much money, bought two of them (about 2"diameter, I think they were "corner posts") and secured them together in parallel using the P-clamps used for attaching the chain link fencing to the posts, basically attaching the p-clamps to each other in the middle.  Then I detached a regular fork mount tray from it's clamp at the front and mounted the tray using the same bolts that met in the middle of the p-clamps in rear. Then for the front, I took a small piece of rectangular Thule load bars that I had from an old messed up bar set I had and mounted that across the top of the two main tubes, just bolting down through it all.  Could just as easily have used a short round or square tube from HD.  Then I mounted the fork clamp to the rectangular bar which gave it enough rise to clear my BB.  It seemed to be pretty secure, the only thing I never got to was actually attaching it to my load bars on the car, which I was intending to do with U-bolts.  Wouldn't have been the prettiest rack on the street, but it would have only cost me about $50 and an extra rack I already had.  Never finished it because I bought a truck, still have the fence parts up in my garage waiting for another project.

          -Sam

          On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 1:08 AM, Neil Schneider <pacneil@...> wrote:

          On Sun, October 20, 2013 7:15 pm, hal.ninek@... wrote:

          > Has anyone used one of the three tandem rack solutions that are on the
          > market? Thule, Yakima and Rocky Mountain all seem to have a fork mount
          > that swivels 90 degrees so that you needn't lift the entire weight over
          > your head. Seems like an elegant solution, as you would expect for
          > something costing $300-$400.

          I have the Thule tandem mount on top of my car. If properly positioned, I
          can load our Bilenky Viewpoint tandem by myself. I seem to often forget to
          tie up the handlebars, which is necessary for the pivoting mount to work
          properly. Once it place I feel it's quite secure.

          YMMV

          --
          Neil Schneider velorambler over-at gmail dot com
          http://www.velorambler.com

          Surly Cross Check
          Surly Long Haul Trucker
          Bachetta Giro 26
          Bilenky Viewpoint Tandem
          Bike Friday New World Traveler
          Quest Velomobile (on order)

          __o
          _'\<,_
          (*)/ (*)

          "Work to eat, eat to live, live to bike, bike to work." -- Naomi Bloom

        • David Dannenberg
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 21 7:01 AM
            We have used the Yakima mount for a tandem and it works very well. Should work equally well for a longtail. If you have a receiver hitch the Draftmaster would work well also.

            David
          • Santiago Oleas
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 21 7:51 AM
              I have the Rocky Mountain and find it works well.  Here are my specific recommendations and observations.

              I have roof rails and the cross bars I have pretty much end at the roof rails.  This means that the tandem bike holder lies inboard on my car and not at the edge of the car or even past the edge of the car.  This causes me problems when using the pivoting head as the bike will hit the top corner of my car.  I have to adjust for this by having the bike higher off the ground before I lift the front onto the bike.  If you can get longer bars then your problem is solved.  It may also be that my roof rails are more inboard than most.

              I have three Rocky Mountain bike racks and think they are great.  I particularly like that the Quick Release that holds the front fork can be locked.  Here's a problem, though.  For some reason this lockable QR is not compatible with the tandem bike rack.  Not a huge problem if you don't intend to leave the bike on the roof or worst case use a bike lock on the roof.

              On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 10:15 PM, hal.ninek@... <hal.ninek@...> wrote:

              I'm the proud owner of a new Edgerunner (bye-bye Weehoo trailer), and am wondering what folks are using to transport their long-tails by car. I already have the Thule Aero bar set-up on my car, and have a strong preference for not having a $2,000 bike on a trunk mount carrier.

              Has anyone used one of the three tandem rack solutions that are on the market? Thule, Yakima and Rocky Mountain all seem to have a fork mount that swivels 90 degrees so that you needn't lift the entire weight over your head. Seems like an elegant solution, as you would expect for something costing $300-$400.

              Any experience would be much appreciated.

              Steve Seelig

            • Brad Lide

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 22 7:30 AM
                  I made a bike rack that carried two regular sized bikes end to end. I used this on the roof of my old 60 series Land Cruiser.

                  I used a 12' long galvanized steel street sign post of the variety that in profile is shaped like a U with flanges extending from the tops of the legs of the U. For uprights I used 3/4" iron pipe as follows: I took a three inch nipple and threaded it into an elbow. Threaded into the other elbow was a piece of pipe long enough to reach beyond the top tube of the bike. I then smashed the small nipple flat, drilled it out, and bolted it through one of the numerous holes in the bottom of the sign post U channel. Then I sleeved foam pipe insulation over the long piece of pipe and taped it on. The pipe was threaded tightly enough into the elbow that it would hold the upright in any position, but loosely enough that if I grasped the far end of the long end of the upright I could set it at any angle from flat to vertical. I put two of these on the sign post, one forward, one back.

                  It worked wonderfully. I would keep them folded flat when there was no bike (a good thing as the rig loaded with bikes stuck up about 10'), then bend them upright when I wanted to load bikes. I would just strap the top tube to the upright and strap the tires to the sign post trough and take off down the road.

                  Never had a problem and I could carry two bikes end to end (with the front one cantilevered over the hood of the Cruiser about two feet) and still have just about the entire width and length (4 x 8 feet) of the roof available for assorted other gear; I could easily manage 1500 lbs up there if necessary, though typically the load would not exceed 500--unless there were a half dozen adults sitting up there.

                  Anyway, this type of set up would work fine for a long tail. Do note though that loading would require lifting the bike wholesale into the trough. (On the LC I just stood on the roof rack and someone handed me bikes that I then just hoisted into place by hand. Very easy).

                  Main take away: sign posts work well; stiff and strong. Also heavy. Just u bolt them to the cross rails.

                • Brad Lide