tire experiences

  • David Dannenberg
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 5, 2013
      In case anyone is interested, I recently changed from Maxxis Hookworms to S. Big Apples on my Big Dummy. The Hookworms rolled nicely and could be kept at 65PSI which was great on the street, but were not nearly flat resistant enough. Also Hookworms are very heavy. So after much research I opted for Big Apples. They are not as wide which doesn't seem to matter so far in handling or load capacity. They have nice reflective strips on the sidewalls. They are only rated to 55 PSI. but are designed to be quite puncture resistant. They are lighter than Hookworms. As far as riding, at 55 PSI they have a nice small contact patch. They are noticeably sticky on asphalt in a way that is annoying, especially if the pressure is lower than the maximum. They do not grip loose gravel/stones or wet gravel or stones nearly as well as the Hookworms; I was spinning my back wheel on a climb where that never happened with the Hookworms regardless of whether I mashed or spun. Time will tell whether the lower puncture resistance is real and whether the lighter weight out\weighs the stickynes and lack of traction on wet/loose surfaces.

      Dave
    • Devian Gilbert
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 5, 2013
        Tyres are like flip flops

        It seems that I go round and round with tyres.  However on the BD I've settled on some schwalbe marathons.  I think they are the extreme version.  They seem to be a decent choice.  I've been on them for over a year now.
        In the past I'd opt for something like a sefras drifter or wtb mutanoraptor if I was doing a bunch of dirt.
        Another favorite is wtb vulpine, but it's a thin tyre.

        I've kind of given up on "the perfect tyre".  For now those schwalbe marathon extremes seem to be "ok".

        Sent from the ether

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 9, 2013
          Devian,

          Thanks for sharing your experiences.

          Unfortunately for me, Marathons only come up to about 2" wide. I prefer the suspension and rim protection (and rugged good looks) of a 2.3-2/5" tire.