time to think about snow / ice tires again

  • David Backeberg
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2013
      It's the most wonderful time of the year.

      The time when I ponder the winter tires to put on the Big Dummy.

      I've used Schwalbe Winter Marathons on my non-longtail commuter. But this year I'm usually on the Dummy. I've had the 2.1"x26" Continental fat tires, which I've really enjoyed. If I wanted to stay with a 2.1" tire, I'd probably take the Nokian Extreme 2.1" tire, but it seems like it's total overkill for pavement, and I'm almost only ever on cleared city streets.

      Has anybody used the Schwalbe Winter Marathons on a longtail? They're 26"x1.75, and I'm worried that I'll miss the fat tires. Is that a silly concern? Will it feel about the same?

      In case anybody is curious, I'm shopping for these from: http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/studdedtires.asp

      Thanks in advance,
      Dave
    • Dave Lloyd

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 4, 2013
          I have used Marathon Winter on a longtail, not sure if they were 700c or 26".
          I would skip the Nokian Extreme anyway -- W106, maybe?
          Marathon Winter also seems like a good choice given what you say -- better on pavement
          than the Nokians, not as grabby on the ice however, but grabby enough.
          I'd avoid Schwalbe Snow Stud -- I tried them, did not like them.

          Handling with studded tires is yucky, the Marathon Winters a little less so.

          David