FS: 29er Conversion Custom FAP

  • thirdraildesignlab
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 25, 2013
    For about a year, I rode a custom build based off of a 29er wedded with a free radical kit. It was a pretty involved project, and I posted about it before on this group. The biggest hurdle was the FAP: the tongue of the Free Radical could not reach a suitable anchor point on the 29er, because the frame's stays were too long. Ultimately I had a machinist cyclist buddy build a custom FAP out of aluminum. It is considerably overbuilt for what it does, but since I was attempting to carry two toddlers with a high center of gravity, I wanted to be sure I was covered for the high torque I anticipated.

    We've moved on to a different system this fall, using a trailer for ths kids and in spring are going to be looking at a bikfiet design. I disassembled the bike and sold the free radical and most of the accessories to one person and the 29er and components to another, though I still have some assorted parts left over.

    Most importantly, for anyone looking to do a 29er conversion, I still have my sweet custom FAP. It could theoretically be of use on a standard 26" frame, but it's optimized for the longer stays of the 29er. I've attached a few photos of it, and I'll follow up with some install photos. I saw there were very few 29er builds out there documented when I built mine, and the posts about them were helpful. Solving the FAP issue was always a problem. So, its my hope someone here has been working on one, or has been contemplating one, and that this could be of use to them. I'd like to recoup some of the investment in the development of the piece, but let's talk.

    Any interest?

    Pics!