Re: [rootsradicals] InterBike convention next week

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 15, 2013
      John,

      I too did not know there was an Urban Cycling Hall of Fame until about
      two or three weeks ago when I was told I was going to be inducted. This
      is going to be the UCHOF's first year. I believe nine people are being
      inducted across three categories (riders, organizers, and makers) to
      make up for lost time and try to get a more diverse grouping of
      inductees in its fledgling year. If I understand things correctly, after
      that they will only pick three people each year, one in each category.
      _TONE_
    • argecko
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2013
        I know it has been a while since you mentioned it, Tone, but UrbanVelo had a blog post on the ceremony a couple of days ago. Here's the link:

        http://www.urbanvelo.org/issue39/p70-71.html

        So, which one is you?

        Congratulations!
        Steve

        Avon, Ohio

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 4, 2013
          Steve,
          Thanks for the congratulations, and the link to the Urban Velo article.
          Unfortunately as luck would have it, I am not in that photo. I was one
          of the first inductees to come up on stage, and after I received my
          award I quickly made my way outside the venue.
          I am not into drinking, hate the smell of cigarette smoke, and I am
          already practically deaf in one ear, so I dislike being in very loud
          enclosed spaces. On that particular night the ceremony was suppose to
          start at 10pm, but it did not get under way until after midnight, which
          meant I had to wait around that entire time screaming into people's ears
          just to have a casual conversation over the unnecessarily loud music,
          which was a type I did not even enjoy.
          I imagine that photo from the Urban Velo blog was taken when I was
          inside the entry way of the bar/club talking without having to scream to
          a former messenger I had not seen in years. If someone had bothered to
          come and get me to pose for the group photo, then I was not that far
          away and I would have gone, but of course no one did.
          Just for the sake of identifying people in the photo though, from right
          to left starting with the crouched guys...

          1) Kevin "Squid" Bolger, long time messenger from NYC, who I consider a
          good friend. He was on the selection committee for the UCHOF, but I
          swear me being inducted was not rigged!
          2) Sean Martin, an inductee who I was never formerly introduced to.

          right to left standing...

          3) Gregory Ugalde, inductee, crazy awesome artist, and NYC messenger. We
          shared a hotel room while in Vegas and spent a lot of time together at
          the convention. I did not really like Vegas, but it was cool hanging
          with him.
          4) Sarah Murder, inductee, who I was also never formerly introduced to.
          5) Andy White, selection committee member, who actually won a couple of
          my NYC Cranksgivings.
          6) Christina Peck (?), I am not sure if that is her for sure because we
          were never formerly introduced, but she is another selection committee
          member.
          7) "Sino", inductee, and Japanese messenger, who I WAS formerly
          introduced to despite having quite a language barrier.
          8) Nelson Vails, selection committee member and old school NYC messenger
          well before beepers and cell phones. Among many other accolades he also
          happens to be an Olympic Silver Medal winner in cycling and raced Kevin
          Bacon's character in the messenger movie "Quick Silver." I met Nelson
          once or twice in the past at various messenger/cycling events.
          9) Billy "SoupHorse", a major organizer for the Urban Cycling Hall of Fame.
          10) Austin Horse, selection committee member, and NYC messenger. He also
          acted as the stunt double in the relatively recent messenger movie
          "Premium Rush." After that he also acted as a consultant/'executive
          producer' for the reality-TV messenger series called "Triple Rush,"
          which I believe aired on the Travel channel.
          11) John "Prolly" Watson (?), I am pretty sure that is John, but I was
          never formerly introduced to him. I stopped messengering in NYC at the
          very end of 2006 and moved to PA in the late Spring of 2007, so if he
          came into the NYC cycling/messenger scene around that time, then our
          paths may not have crossed.

          I do find something incredibly amusing about my absence in the Urban
          Velo group photo. Even though I would have willingly been a part of that
          photo if asked, usually I prefer to avoid being in photographs simply
          for the sake of not being identifiable to strangers, such as law
          enforcement for instance. It is not that I am a criminal or anything,
          but I have no need or desire to have strangers know what I look like. I
          do not even like using social media sites like Face Book or anything for
          the same reason.
          In fact, when I posed for a photo in the book "Messengers Style" I even
          wore a ninja-like outfit. There was a time back then when I would
          regularly wear a full head-and-neck balaclava with
          skull-hologram-imprinted ski goggles during the winter to stay warm, so
          I just went with the look of a ninja for the fun of it. I actually did
          train in martial arts for a number of years, and the image of an agile
          ninja fit in with being a quick and nimble messenger. In that fashion
          photography book I even did a high kick as a pose for the shot to really
          play up the ninja theme. Just to confuse things even more and play on my
          anonymity, the quote I included with my photo was very cryptic and
          included a couple of other pseudonyms from my past.

          What is even funnier to me about the lack of my presence in the Urban
          Velo photo is that there have been a number of times when I actually
          wanted to be a part of group photos, and for various reasons I missed
          them. For instance, some messengers in NYC organized what was called
          "Metropoloco" the weekend before the Cycle Messenger World Championships
          were held in Philadelphia. I had busted my ass volunteering for
          Metropoloco, but there were no official events happening on the last
          day. Instead, everyone just knew to gather and hang out on the boardwalk
          in Coney Island. Well, I was beat from working so hard the previous
          several days and did not want to bother going all the way out to Coney
          Island, so I stayed homed and relaxed. Sure enough, the official group
          photo ended up taking place in front of the old broken down Cyclone
          roller coaster. I have the really cool photo mounted in my hallway, but
          I am not even in it, but that is one I would have wanted to be in.
          Later on when NYC hosted the Cycle Messenger World Championships,
          everyone agreed I was the most trustworthy and dependable person to
          handle the cash while selling the official event merchandise. When
          everyone gathered for the official group photo though, of course I got
          stuck having to continue manning the booth to watch the cash and
          merchandise, so I am not in that photo either. The most ironic part of
          both the NYC CMWC and Metropoloco was that I was also in charge of
          making every participant's photo ID card, so I handled everyone's photo,
          but my own face never showed in the group photo!

          Oh wait, come to think of it, there is also another story about my
          photograph and the Urban Cycling Hall of Fame. Apparently there is a new
          "Tone" in the NYC messenger scene, who goes by the nick name "Stone
          Tone" or something like that. Well, when the UCHOF was gathering photos
          of the inductees to put up on a gallery wall with short profile/bios
          apparently they had Stone Tone's photo up as me until Squid or someone
          else noticed and forced them to take it down. Just so you know, Stone
          Tone is a black dude with dread locks, who rides a track bike. Me, well
          I am a white guy with a buzzed head, who rides a long tail cargo bike.
          Ultimately the photo, which was posted up on short notice for the UCHOF
          inductee wall, was one of me at one of my NYC Cranksgiving events. In it
          I am wearing my full head/neck balaclava, but no ski goggles, so I think
          it is kind of crappy.

          Maybe fate just does not like the way I look and does not want my image
          to be recorded for the ages. There are most likely more photos of my
          cargo bike floating around the internet than of me. Out of curiosity I
          just did a quick Google image search of "Tone Cranksgiving" and I did
          find a number of decent photos of me if anyone really does care to
          see/know what I look like. Just to prove I really was at the UCHOF
          inductee ceremony, here is a photo the Urban Velo reporter took of me
          when I was presented my award by Nelson Vails:
          http://urbanvelo.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/uchof2013-4.jpg
          I also came across a good collection of photos from the 2004 and 2005
          Cranksgivings in NYC, the latter being the event where that
          balaclava-wearing photograph came from, which ended up posted on the
          UCHOF gallery wall. They are also the years when Andy White, a UCHOF
          selection committee member, won Cranksgiving....
          http://www.cranksgiving.net/cranksgiving04.html
          ...and...
          http://www.cranksgiving.net/cranksgiving05.html

          I think that I have probably gone over the narcissistic quota for
          talking about photos of myself for one day, but enjoy it if you can,
          _TONE_
        • Steve Morris
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 4, 2013
            Tone,

            Thank you for the informative commentary on the ceremony. When I read that it was Nelson Vails in the photo, I had to stop reading then and there, and go look at the article again. I *never* would have recognized who that was, even though I have seen much earlier photos of him several times.

            You sound a lot like me in hiding from the camera. As an avid photographer, I/m behind the camera, not in front of it. My bio photo on my online gallery even has my face hidden behind my camera. Photos of me on my Vespa are in full-face helmet, and like your photo with Nelson, I also always wear a ball cap, and tilt my face down in candid shots.

            Steve