Re: Xtracycle Edgerunner-hopeful owner

  • MikeW
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 4, 2013
      1) Not sure there would be a lot of difference between a 24 and a 27 speed since you're only talking about the difference of one sprocket in the back. There's usually so many overlaps with different gear combinations that it shouldn't really matter especially if the largest cog and the smallest cog are the same size on each.

      2) As far as locks go, I prefer the Kryptonite New York Noose as my main lock. I like it because it allows me to lock up to things that a regular U lock won't. Yes, it's heavy but in the grand scheme of things, so is my bike and I just keep it tucked away in the Xtracycle bag.

      3) Can't help you out on the child seat since I don't have kids and have never had to deal with a child seat.

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "JeannieW" <leslievillejeannie@...> wrote:

      > Greetings from Toronto - new member - 1st time posting.
      >
      > Last year we became a carless family, and we love it. We have a 2 Y/O son and I am 8 months preggo with son #2.
      >
      > Currently, I am riding a 40lb beast (12 speed?) from the 1970s with my son, which we purchased off Craigslist in 2012 to see if biking would be worth while - it is - yea!
      >
      > We are now looking at next summer (2014) with two children - and checking out the "factory" model of the Edgerunner with the bike seats. Any thoughts are appreciated.
      >
      > A couple of things, we live in the middle of a hill, so any trip includes a hill. Most days I can make it up the hill...some days (might be because I'm pregnant) I walk it...I'm hoping to have more lung capacity after DS#2 is born.
      >
      > Questions:
      > 1. Is there a big difference between 24 and 27 speeds
      > 2. What lock is best for this bike?
      > 3. Has anyone had the childseat stolen?
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Jeannie

    • Davey Oil
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 4, 2013
        I think the other parts differences between the 24 and the 27 are much lore significant than the number of cogs in the back. The overall spec is higher quality/ longer lasting/ more fun to ride. Most important are the brakes Avid bb7, rather than bb5 is a world of difference When it comes to safety and reliability. I'd stongly recommend the 27d model over the 24, if you can swing the slightly higher cost.

        Davey Oil

        On Aug 4, 2013, at 3:39 AM, "MikeW" <bayou_ratt_283@...> wrote:

        1) Not sure there would be a lot of difference between a 24 and a 27 speed since you're only talking about the difference of one sprocket in the back. There's usually so many overlaps with different gear combinations that it shouldn't really matter especially if the largest cog and the smallest cog are the same size on each.

        2) As far as locks go, I prefer the Kryptonite New York Noose as my main lock. I like it because it allows me to lock up to things that a regular U lock won't. Yes, it's heavy but in the grand scheme of things, so is my bike and I just keep it tucked away in the Xtracycle bag.

        3) Can't help you out on the child seat since I don't have kids and have never had to deal with a child seat.

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "JeannieW" <leslievillejeannie@...> wrote:

        > Greetings from Toronto - new member - 1st time posting.
        >
        > Last year we became a carless family, and we love it. We have a 2 Y/O son and I am 8 months preggo with son #2.
        >
        > Currently, I am riding a 40lb beast (12 speed?) from the 1970s with my son, which we purchased off Craigslist in 2012 to see if biking would be worth while - it is - yea!
        >
        > We are now looking at next summer (2014) with two children - and checking out the "factory" model of the Edgerunner with the bike seats. Any thoughts are appreciated.
        >
        > A couple of things, we live in the middle of a hill, so any trip includes a hill. Most days I can make it up the hill...some days (might be because I'm pregnant) I walk it...I'm hoping to have more lung capacity after DS#2 is born.
        >
        > Questions:
        > 1. Is there a big difference between 24 and 27 speeds
        > 2. What lock is best for this bike?
        > 3. Has anyone had the childseat stolen?
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Jeannie

      • MikeW
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 4, 2013
          Sorry, I thought it was a general question about gearing. You're right though, it's a good idea to get the 27d model for the brakes, the upgraded headset, cranks and the external bottom bracket.

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Davey Oil <daveyoil@...> wrote:

          > I think the other parts differences between the 24 and the 27 are much lore significant than the number of cogs in the back. The overall spec is higher quality/ longer lasting/ more fun to ride. Most important are the brakes Avid bb7, rather than bb5 is a world of difference When it comes to safety and reliability. I'd stongly recommend the 27d model over the 24, if you can swing the slightly higher cost.
          >
          > Davey Oil
          >
          > On Aug 4, 2013, at 3:39 AM, "MikeW" <bayou_ratt_283@...> wrote:
          >
          > > 1) Not sure there would be a lot of difference between a 24 and a 27 speed since you're only talking about the difference of one sprocket in the back. There's usually so many overlaps with different gear combinations that it shouldn't really matter especially if the largest cog and the smallest cog are the same size on each.
          > >
          > > 2) As far as locks go, I prefer the Kryptonite New York Noose as my main lock. I like it because it allows me to lock up to things that a regular U lock won't. Yes, it's heavy but in the grand scheme of things, so is my bike and I just keep it tucked away in the Xtracycle bag.
          > >
          > > 3) Can't help you out on the child seat since I don't have kids and have never had to deal with a child seat.
          > >
          > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "JeannieW" <leslievillejeannie@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Greetings from Toronto - new member - 1st time posting.
          > > >
          > > > Last year we became a carless family, and we love it. We have a 2 Y/O son and I am 8 months preggo with son #2.
          > > >
          > > > Currently, I am riding a 40lb beast (12 speed?) from the 1970s with my son, which we purchased off Craigslist in 2012 to see if biking would be worth while - it is - yea!
          > > >
          > > > We are now looking at next summer (2014) with two children - and checking out the "factory" model of the Edgerunner with the bike seats. Any thoughts are appreciated.
          > > >
          > > > A couple of things, we live in the middle of a hill, so any trip includes a hill. Most days I can make it up the hill...some days (might be because I'm pregnant) I walk it...I'm hoping to have more lung capacity after DS#2 is born.
          > > >
          > > > Questions:
          > > > 1. Is there a big difference between 24 and 27 speeds
          > > > 2. What lock is best for this bike?
          > > > 3. Has anyone had the childseat stolen?
          > > >
          > > > Cheers,
          > > > Jeannie

        • brad.lide
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 4, 2013
            Agree with others that if you can get upgrades on everything if you can swing it. As far as the locks I carry a cheap cable lock when I am in a really nice neighborhood and throw a New York chain and U lock on when I don't know the area, and I skip the questionable areas all together. Whatever bike you choose, the most important thing is to ride it, and ride it with your kids. It is a time you will cherish. I have memories riding with my mom on my dad's 46 Schwinn when I was a kid, on the rear rack flying down the road, no helmet, no child seat, keep the legs out so they don't get in the spokes. Good memories on an old gravel road in the fall.

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "MikeW" <bayou_ratt_283@...> wrote:

            > Sorry, I thought it was a general question about gearing. You're right though, it's a good idea to get the 27d model for the brakes, the upgraded headset, cranks and the external bottom bracket.
            >
            > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Davey Oil <daveyoil@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I think the other parts differences between the 24 and the 27 are much lore significant than the number of cogs in the back. The overall spec is higher quality/ longer lasting/ more fun to ride. Most important are the brakes Avid bb7, rather than bb5 is a world of difference When it comes to safety and reliability. I'd stongly recommend the 27d model over the 24, if you can swing the slightly higher cost.
            > >
            > > Davey Oil
            > >
            > > On Aug 4, 2013, at 3:39 AM, "MikeW" <bayou_ratt_283@> wrote:
            > >
            > > > 1) Not sure there would be a lot of difference between a 24 and a 27 speed since you're only talking about the difference of one sprocket in the back. There's usually so many overlaps with different gear combinations that it shouldn't really matter especially if the largest cog and the smallest cog are the same size on each.
            > > >
            > > > 2) As far as locks go, I prefer the Kryptonite New York Noose as my main lock. I like it because it allows me to lock up to things that a regular U lock won't. Yes, it's heavy but in the grand scheme of things, so is my bike and I just keep it tucked away in the Xtracycle bag.
            > > >
            > > > 3) Can't help you out on the child seat since I don't have kids and have never had to deal with a child seat.

          • JeannieW
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 4, 2013
              Hi All,
              It WAS a general question about gearing, but the thorough answers let me see that there is more to it than that - wow - you all are terrific with responses! Thank you!

              I am not planning to purchase this fall, probably in Spring 2014 - I did meet someone with an 11month old on his xtracycle and she was having a grand old time. So I will wait until next summer. I WISH there was a way to have an infant seat, but you can't have everything!

              Thanks again,
              Jeannie

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "MikeW" <bayou_ratt_283@...> wrote:

              > Sorry, I thought it was a general question about gearing. You're right though, it's a good idea to get the 27d model for the brakes, the upgraded headset, cranks and the external bottom bracket.
              >
              > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Davey Oil <daveyoil@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I think the other parts differences between the 24 and the 27 are much lore significant than the number of cogs in the back. The overall spec is higher quality/ longer lasting/ more fun to ride. Most important are the brakes Avid bb7, rather than bb5 is a world of difference When it comes to safety and reliability. I'd stongly recommend the 27d model over the 24, if you can swing the slightly higher cost.
              > >
              > > Davey Oil
              > >
              > > On Aug 4, 2013, at 3:39 AM, "MikeW" <bayou_ratt_283@> wrote:
              > >
              > > > 1) Not sure there would be a lot of difference between a 24 and a 27 speed since you're only talking about the difference of one sprocket in the back. There's usually so many overlaps with different gear combinations that it shouldn't really matter especially if the largest cog and the smallest cog are the same size on each.
              > > >
              > > > 2) As far as locks go, I prefer the Kryptonite New York Noose as my main lock. I like it because it allows me to lock up to things that a regular U lock won't. Yes, it's heavy but in the grand scheme of things, so is my bike and I just keep it tucked away in the Xtracycle bag.
              > > >
              > > > 3) Can't help you out on the child seat since I don't have kids and have never had to deal with a child seat.

            • Jesse Leifert
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 5, 2013
                I've always wondered about attaching an infant car seat base to the xtracycle. Imagine the looks you'd get!

                My wife was not on board with the idea when our son was that age. :)

                Good luck!

                On Aug 4, 2013, at 9:59 PM, JeannieW <leslievillejeannie@...> wrote:

                Hi All,
                It WAS a general question about gearing, but the thorough answers let me see that there is more to it than that - wow - you all are terrific with responses! Thank you!

                I am not planning to purchase this fall, probably in Spring 2014 - I did meet someone with an 11month old on his xtracycle and she was having a grand old time. So I will wait until next summer. I WISH there was a way to have an infant seat, but you can't have everything!

                Thanks again,
                Jeannie

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "MikeW" <bayou_ratt_283@...> wrote:

                > Sorry, I thought it was a general question about gearing. You're right though, it's a good idea to get the 27d model for the brakes, the upgraded headset, cranks and the external bottom bracket.
                >
                > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Davey Oil <daveyoil@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I think the other parts differences between the 24 and the 27 are much lore significant than the number of cogs in the back. The overall spec is higher quality/ longer lasting/ more fun to ride. Most important are the brakes Avid bb7, rather than bb5 is a world of difference When it comes to safety and reliability. I'd stongly recommend the 27d model over the 24, if you can swing the slightly higher cost.
                > >
                > > Davey Oil
                > >
                > > On Aug 4, 2013, at 3:39 AM, "MikeW" <bayou_ratt_283@> wrote:
                > >
                > > > 1) Not sure there would be a lot of difference between a 24 and a 27 speed since you're only talking about the difference of one sprocket in the back. There's usually so many overlaps with different gear combinations that it shouldn't really matter especially if the largest cog and the smallest cog are the same size on each.
                > > >
                > > > 2) As far as locks go, I prefer the Kryptonite New York Noose as my main lock. I like it because it allows me to lock up to things that a regular U lock won't. Yes, it's heavy but in the grand scheme of things, so is my bike and I just keep it tucked away in the Xtracycle bag.
                > > >
                > > > 3) Can't help you out on the child seat since I don't have kids and have never had to deal with a child seat.

              • J. Nelson
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 8, 2013
                  Depending on your level of comfort... we bolted an extra PegPerego infant seat cradle to the snapdeck of our Xtracycle and just plopped the littlest one in there... but that meant that the other kids couldn't ride on the snapdeck easily. I also live in a pretty bike friendly place, and have no hills, so I have fewer objective hazards that might endanger passengers on the bike. The handle of the carrier can work as a roll-bar, however.

                  Brakes are a HUGE DEAL, especially when carrying kids and cargo. Get big rotors. I like the metallic pads, as they stop well, even when wet. They squeak a lot as they burn in, but I sort of liked making a lot of noise and letting people know where I was.

                  Good luck!

                  Jaime.