Re: [rootsradicals] Re: new commuter, buyer's regret, and wanting and xtracycle

  • Brian Livelsberger
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 3, 2013

      A pitch for nuvinci. The range is better in the 2nd gen hub, and it is smooth and solid. No regrets after 1 year of riding it on an X. I have occasion to get on a standard shift bike and an internal gear hub, and the biggest thing that I always miss is my nuvinci.

      On Aug 3, 2013 1:19 AM, "brad.lide" <brad.lide@...> wrote:

      Rob, I have personally owned two Yuba Mundo's both vs. 3. Wouldn't fool with 1's and 2's. I have personally ridden 2 girls, one weighing 150+ and one weighing 110 with bags and gears. We rode down through main street about 9:30 at night having a great time. I have also ridden my 170 lb son with no issues. The bike is a beast. I have hookworm tires and downhill tubes on it. Not real fast, but clips along at a leisurely 10-12 mph and gets up to 18 down hills. Very stable. I take it on trails, go off road, handles great on grass with the big tires. Very low geared and am able to go up pretty steep grades (very slowly). I am 56 and am pretty heavy myself so appreciate how stable and smooth this is. I find it easier to ride than my commuter.

      I am building an x with a Swobo Heywood and Imotion 9, although may go Nuvinci.
      Am putting a Patterson 2 speed up front so all internal with disc. I have a great time with my grandson and by all means put a bell on the stoker bars.

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Rich W" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

      > Rob;
      >
      > Hi-Ten steel is always a cost consideration driven choice. It is NOT stiffer than chrome-moly FOR THE SAME WALL THICKNESS AND WEIGHT. In Steel the alloy has little effect on the modulus of elasticity. Effective stiffness is a matter of tube diameter and wall thickness.
      >
      > I am not sure about current production but I have read reports of some older Yuba Mundos that had some standard part/accessory mounting holes misaligned making assembly difficult.
      >
      > Rich Wood
      >
      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "rdstreet" <rdstreet@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I am impressed with the amount of response. Thanks to all.
      > >
      > > The more I read the more attracted I am to a Yuba Mondo. It has the highest weight rating, and costs much less than a Big Dummy. Odd to me that they use high tensile steel, though. Does anyone know if this is a cost or design consideration? I initially assumed it was cost, but I am now considering that it may be because high tensile steel is less flexy, which is a good thing in a cargo bike.
      > >
      > > I don't have the cash, but I don't have the cash for a fully outfitted FreeRadical either, so a manufactured longtail means saving a little longer, and probably avoiding another thread with "buyers regret" in the title.
      > >
      > > I am still considering the FreeRadical though, particularly for my wife's bike, which *I think* has conforming dropouts. Her load would be much less, as I have at least 80 pounds on her, and I will carry the heavier children.
      > >
      > > Rob

    • David Dannenberg
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 3, 2013
        For a lark recently I sat with my friend on the back of my Big Dummy while another friend pedaled it around. Very short ride, but did include hills. There were absolutely no problems. Total weight: at least 500lbs plus bike. I wouldn't necessarily recommend that for every day--the Yuba is rated for a higher load--but for the BD ditto what Brad said about his Yuba regarding comfort and stability with and without loads and on grass, gravel, or even trails and if properly geared very very steep hills.