Re: [rootsradicals] Big Dummy Rear Light Mount

  • Drew
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 18 8:52 AM
      Hey Andy,
      Cool mount. I had the same problem. My only thought would be, if you moved it down lower on the rail so it is truly vertical; it might be less blinding to whoever's behind you. I have that light too and it is a flame thrower. ;-)

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 18 7:39 PM
        I just attach mine to the reflective strips right below where your is mounted. Two blinkies for more attention.

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Zipper" <pefozzy@...> wrote:

        > I just designed a new rear light mount for my Big Dummy. I wanted something to hold a rear blinking light so it was still visible even when I had my son in his Pea Pod or lots of cargo on board the rear deck. So far, it seems to work fairly well. I've uploaded the files to thingiverse if anyone else would like to print it out and give it a try.
        >
        > This is round 4 of the design. Some of the earlier versions attached to the Xtracycle frame on both sides, and I found that under large loads or heavy acceleration the frames would shift enough to crack the light mount. So, this version only attaches to one side of the frame.
        >
        > Here is the link to the thingiverse page:
        > http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:118588
        >
        > Enjoy!
        > Andy

      • MikeW
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 18 7:52 PM
          Admittedly, my idea is much lazier.

          Here's a pic of it:

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Zipper" <pefozzy@...> wrote:

          > I just designed a new rear light mount for my Big Dummy. I wanted something to hold a rear blinking light so it was still visible even when I had my son in his Pea Pod or lots of cargo on board the rear deck. So far, it seems to work fairly well. I've uploaded the files to thingiverse if anyone else would like to print it out and give it a try.
          >
          > This is round 4 of the design. Some of the earlier versions attached to the Xtracycle frame on both sides, and I found that under large loads or heavy acceleration the frames would shift enough to crack the light mount. So, this version only attaches to one side of the frame.
          >
          > Here is the link to the thingiverse page:
          > http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:118588
          >
          > Enjoy!
          > Andy

        • rkt88edmo
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 19 6:33 AM
            Thanks for posting the light mount to thingivers, now I just need ot get certified over at techlab to print up.  I've attached directly to the V-racks, but they just get banged into too much and loosen up or twist around.
          • the_sun_always_rises
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 19 6:41 AM
              That's exactly what I've got on my CargoJoe. The benefit for me of having two distinct lights is that the lights I have also have LEDs on each side, so I get 270 degrees of blinky goodness.

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "MikeW" <bayou_ratt_283@...> wrote:

              > Admittedly, my idea is much lazier.
              >
              > Here's a pic of it:

            • David Dannenberg
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 20 4:22 PM
                Here are some hastily shot and uploaded pictures of my rear light mount. It is not terribly sophisticated but it works fine. I used a piece of scrap stainless steel, some black spray paint, two Pclips, and the mount for my Radbot1000. The mount is the same for a Superblinky. This mount also helps prevent the P racks from spreading if you do not have a deck with Superclips.

                The Radbot by the way is wonderful, very very bright inexpensive, tough, easily mounted, and easy on batteries. It can be seen a block away in full daylight. Check it out here: https://www.ridepdw.com/goods/lights/radbot-1000  and you can buy it cheaply here: https://picasaweb.google.com/daviddannenberg1/BigDummyRearLightMount?authkey=Gv1sRgCJ_05Pftna7saQ#

                David Dannenberg
              • David Dannenberg
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 21 11:08 AM