Re: [rootsradicals] Brooks Cambium C17

  • Brian Livelsberger
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 18, 2013
      Please do review, I'm quite intrigued.

      On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 5:00 AM, MikeW <bayou_ratt_283@...> wrote:

      Anyone that knows me knows that I love my Brooks saddles. I was pretty excited about a new Cambium version coming out that was weatherproof and required no break in. I have one on order and will be using in on my Xtracycle as soon as it comes in. Review to follow.....

    • MikeW
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3 8:05 AM
        My Brooks Cambium came in yesterday and as soon as it was taken out of the box it was installed and I was headed to the bank to make my deposit. This is a 4.6 mile ride through traffic, rough roads, down the rough, unpaved shoulder of a busy highway and a few neighborhoods. At first I thought to myself that this saddle is too stiff since I'm used to riding a Brooks Flyer but within half a mile that changed. After that half mile I didn't even really notice the saddle except for one thing, I did notice that I wasn't bouncing as much now since I didn't have a pair of coil springs under me. After the bank I decided to hit my favorite pizza buffet on the way home. I say hit because this is where one of the differences in this saddle comes into play. I'll explain it like this, I have a habit of partially dismounting my bike as I'm coming to a stop where I'm planning to get off of the bike anyway. It's just so much easier to swing my right leg over the back whilst still moving and then step off when I stop. Yeah, when I say I hit the pizza place, I literally did. As I was slowing down I went to swing my leg but because the saddle has a denim style top to it, it kinda grab my shorts leg and kept me from swinging and in my confusion I sorta ran into the window of the dining room, oops!. Thankfully no damage to it or the bike and also the fact that it was early and it wasn't crowded yet spared me much embarrassment. I joked to the owner about almost making the dining room a drive thru upon entering, but I digress.

        Back to the saddle. If you ride Brooks then you know how slick they are especially when new, not even the case with these. These tend feel like a denim material glued to thick rubber. The saddle is close to the same shape as the B17 except for the sides which don't drop down as far. I find the initial ride to be stiff yet comfy and not that weight matters on a cargo bike but it is only 5 grams heavier than the B17 titanium. Although I'm not sure that this saddle will stay on my Xtracycle(it might end up on my mountain bike) but I plan on using it for several months at least before I even think about taking it off. I'll add another post in a month or so after I've had more time to evaluate it.

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3 8:09 PM

          Keep the info coming, very much appreciated. I'm particularly curious as to how the grippiness of the saddle changes or doesn't over time and wear, and if you find it to be more boon or bane.

          Cheers,
          Brian

          On Aug 3, 2013 11:06 AM, "MikeW" <bayou_ratt_283@...> wrote:

          My Brooks Cambium came in yesterday and as soon as it was taken out of the box it was installed and I was headed to the bank to make my deposit. This is a 4.6 mile ride through traffic, rough roads, down the rough, unpaved shoulder of a busy highway and a few neighborhoods. At first I thought to myself that this saddle is too stiff since I'm used to riding a Brooks Flyer but within half a mile that changed. After that half mile I didn't even really notice the saddle except for one thing, I did notice that I wasn't bouncing as much now since I didn't have a pair of coil springs under me. After the bank I decided to hit my favorite pizza buffet on the way home. I say hit because this is where one of the differences in this saddle comes into play. I'll explain it like this, I have a habit of partially dismounting my bike as I'm coming to a stop where I'm planning to get off of the bike anyway. It's just so much easier to swing my right leg over the back whilst still moving and then step off when I stop. Yeah, when I say I hit the pizza place, I literally did. As I was slowing down I went to swing my leg but because the saddle has a denim style top to it, it kinda grab my shorts leg and kept me from swinging and in my confusion I sorta ran into the window of the dining room, oops!. Thankfully no damage to it or the bike and also the fact that it was early and it wasn't crowded yet spared me much embarrassment. I joked to the owner about almost making the dining room a drive thru upon entering, but I digress.

          Back to the saddle. If you ride Brooks then you know how slick they are especially when new, not even the case with these. These tend feel like a denim material glued to thick rubber. The saddle is close to the same shape as the B17 except for the sides which don't drop down as far. I find the initial ride to be stiff yet comfy and not that weight matters on a cargo bike but it is only 5 grams heavier than the B17 titanium. Although I'm not sure that this saddle will stay on my Xtracycle(it might end up on my mountain bike) but I plan on using it for several months at least before I even think about taking it off. I'll add another post in a month or so after I've had more time to evaluate it.

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "MikeW" <bayou_ratt_283@...> wrote:

          > Anyone that knows me knows that I love my Brooks saddles. I was pretty excited about a new Cambium version coming out that was weatherproof and required no break in. I have one on order and will be using in on my Xtracycle as soon as it comes in. Review to follow.....

        • bayou_ratt_283
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 10, 2013

            Still liking the saddle although I do believe that it will end up on either my mountain bike of the road bike I plan to build early next year.  It's a little too firm for an upright riding position but I think it will do great on a bike with a more aggressive stance.  My new Big Dummy frame will be here in a few days and when I build it up I plan on putting the sprung Brooks on it.

            As far as the "stickiness" goes, it went away after a week of riding and hasn't been noticeable since then.

            All in all, I'm glad I bought the saddle.  If you like Brooks, like a firm saddle and want a Brooks that you don't have to worry about getting wet, this will be the saddle for you.

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 10, 2013
              Thanks, looks like a sprung Cambium may be the ticket when those come out eventually. Your description is much appreciated.