Re: [rootsradicals] why doesn't 700C fit well?

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 17, 2013
      On 2013-06-17, at 8:25 AM, rdstreet <rdstreet@...> wrote:

      > We all know that one is limited in tires size (too skinny for cargo) using a 700C rim and tire.
      >
      > My question: where are the clearance issues? Hits the chain, the deck, part of the freeRad assembly, or something I have not imagined?

      Hits the rear tube first, hits the bottom of the deck (but you can boost that upwards) next. Probably hits the front part of the freeradical next, but never got that far. Running 700c snow tires is especially delicate, because the clearances are on the order of a millimeter or so, and whatever collides with carbide studs gives way. The bottomside of my snapdeck is nicely sculpted, from when I hit a bump, with studded tires, with a kid on the back. There was a brief drag and "bzzzt!" as the studs removed the offending wood, then it rolled free again.

      David
    • rdstreet
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 17, 2013
        What was the max tire size you ran?

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 17, 2013
          I think the snow tires were supposed to be 35mm. It was a very near thing, and probably also depends on the rim width. I don't recommend 700c on the pack of an xtracycle.

          David

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 17, 2013
            The motivation for the question is that I am curious about modifying a FR to fit 700c fat tires. I still intend to pick up a used one to answer these questions myself.

            It sounds like too many modifications would be required.

            > I think the snow tires were supposed to be 35mm. It was a very near thing, and probably also depends on the rim width. I don't recommend 700c on the pack of an xtracycle.
            >
            > David
            >
            > On 2013-06-17, at 9:30 AM, rdstreet <rdstreet@...> wrote:
            >
            > > What was the max tire size you ran?

          • laughter medicine
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 17, 2013
              I have toured extensively with my 700c Xtracycle and love it dearly.  37c is the widest tire that will work.  38c might if you shave it a bit.  There are risers for the V racks that come with the kit to elevate the SnapDeck.  Must be pounded into the V rack tubes with a mallet.  It limits the weight you carry somewhat but mine has carried to adults at the same time. Fat tires are overrated.