Re: [rootsradicals] Rack stuck in Free Radical frame

  • Neil Schneider
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 13, 2013
      I can make two suggestions. Oil of wintergreen, which you can get from a
      pharmacy and heat. I learned about oil of wintergreen from an old
      machinist. It's better than most penetrating oils. From boating I learned
      that heat helps. Use a small torch and heat for a while, take the heat
      away and apply something like WD-40. Work the joint/bolt and repeat. If
      you do it several times, it will usually work loose. You don't need to get
      the metal red hot. It doesn't have to get hot enough to peel paint. The
      point is to make the metal expand and contract, to break the corrosion
      free. I would recommend using anti-seize on the parts, after you get them
      apart. You can get it at auto parts stores. Don't use it on anything that
      must stay tight by friction, like a seat post bolt. I made that mistake
      once. Had to take everything apart and clean the anti-seize out. The bolt
      would not remain tight and my seat would tilt while riding.

      YMMV