Re: [rootsradicals] Rack stuck in Free Radical frame

  • Pete B
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 13, 2013

      Was thinking more of this solution...

      "8. Aluminum seatposts frequently become stuck by corrosion also, and penetrating oil is almost useless against aluminum oxide. Fortunately, aluminum oxide can be dissolved like magic by using ammonia. [Jobst Brandt doesn't think this works, because the ammonia won't penetrate -- see his comments on stuck handlebar stems. Drano drain cleaner in water also dissolves aluminum oxide. Leaving the frame upside down with the seatpost soaking in one of these liquids may possibly free the seatpost. With the frame upside down, you might also run liquid down from inside as described in additional suggestions.-- John Allen]"

      On 13/06/2013 11:15 PM, "David Chase" <dr2chase@...> wrote:
      Cold/hot is one of the choices recommended by Sheldon Brown.

      A particularly good cheap/useful source of cold is a soft freezer-pack.
      Here's where I was doing this to shorten a stem just enough to loosen the stuck bolt:
      http://dr2chase.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/img_0399_2.jpg

      Another thing you can try is to also hit the steel part of the frame with boiling water, possibly after you have cooled the aluminum tube; that's a little less drastic than a torch, and won't burn off your lubricant.

      David

      On 2013-06-13, at 7:55 AM, Pete B <nackterman@...> wrote:
      > Sheldon Brown knows all.... ;-)
      > http://sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html
      >
      > On 13/06/2013 9:34 PM, "Gobo" <gl@...> wrote:
      >
      > Hello,
      >
      > I used my Free Radical heavily during the last winter and
      > now for the first time in ~10 months wanted to remove the
      > racks to do some maintanance on my bicycle.
      >
      > Unfortunatly the water and salt removed all the
      > lubricant i put in the vertical tubes into which
      > the rack slides in.
      >
      > The rack is stuck solid within the free radical.
      >
      > There is some whitish "rust" and neither MoS nor
      > WD-40 could help.

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          rootsradicals-digest@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Neil Schneider
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 13, 2013
        I can make two suggestions. Oil of wintergreen, which you can get from a
        pharmacy and heat. I learned about oil of wintergreen from an old
        machinist. It's better than most penetrating oils. From boating I learned
        that heat helps. Use a small torch and heat for a while, take the heat
        away and apply something like WD-40. Work the joint/bolt and repeat. If
        you do it several times, it will usually work loose. You don't need to get
        the metal red hot. It doesn't have to get hot enough to peel paint. The
        point is to make the metal expand and contract, to break the corrosion
        free. I would recommend using anti-seize on the parts, after you get them
        apart. You can get it at auto parts stores. Don't use it on anything that
        must stay tight by friction, like a seat post bolt. I made that mistake
        once. Had to take everything apart and clean the anti-seize out. The bolt
        would not remain tight and my seat would tilt while riding.

        YMMV