Rack stuck in Free Radical frame

  • Gobo
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 13, 2013
      Hello,

      I used my Free Radical heavily during the last winter and
      now for the first time in ~10 months wanted to remove the
      racks to do some maintanance on my bicycle.

      Unfortunatly the water and salt removed all the
      lubricant i put in the vertical tubes into which
      the rack slides in.

      The rack is stuck solid within the free radical.

      There is some whitish "rust" and neither MoS nor
      WD-40 could help.

      So basically im stuck here.

      Thankfull for every hint/comment

      gobo
    • Pete B

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 13, 2013
          Cold/hot is one of the choices recommended by Sheldon Brown.

          A particularly good cheap/useful source of cold is a soft freezer-pack.
          Here's where I was doing this to shorten a stem just enough to loosen the stuck bolt:
          http://dr2chase.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/img_0399_2.jpg

          Another thing you can try is to also hit the steel part of the frame with boiling water, possibly after you have cooled the aluminum tube; that's a little less drastic than a torch, and won't burn off your lubricant.

          David

          On 2013-06-13, at 7:55 AM, Pete B <nackterman@...> wrote:
          > Sheldon Brown knows all.... ;-)
          > http://sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html
          >
          > On 13/06/2013 9:34 PM, "Gobo" <gl@...> wrote:
          >
          > Hello,
          >
          > I used my Free Radical heavily during the last winter and
          > now for the first time in ~10 months wanted to remove the
          > racks to do some maintanance on my bicycle.
          >
          > Unfortunatly the water and salt removed all the
          > lubricant i put in the vertical tubes into which
          > the rack slides in.
          >
          > The rack is stuck solid within the free radical.
          >
          > There is some whitish "rust" and neither MoS nor
          > WD-40 could help.
        • Pete B

            On 2013-06-13, at 7:55 AM, Pete B <nackterman@...> wrote:
            > Sheldon Brown knows all.... ;-)
            > http://sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html
            >
            > On 13/06/2013 9:34 PM, "Gobo" <gl@...> wrote:
            >
            > Hello,
            >
            > I used my Free Radical heavily during the last winter and
            > now for the first time in ~10 months wanted to remove the
            > racks to do some maintanance on my bicycle.
            >
            > Unfortunatly the water and salt removed all the
            > lubricant i put in the vertical tubes into which
            > the rack slides in.
            >
            > The rack is stuck solid within the free radical.
            >
            > There is some whitish "rust" and neither MoS nor
            > WD-40 could help.

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                rootsradicals-digest@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Neil Schneider
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 13, 2013
              I can make two suggestions. Oil of wintergreen, which you can get from a
              pharmacy and heat. I learned about oil of wintergreen from an old
              machinist. It's better than most penetrating oils. From boating I learned
              that heat helps. Use a small torch and heat for a while, take the heat
              away and apply something like WD-40. Work the joint/bolt and repeat. If
              you do it several times, it will usually work loose. You don't need to get
              the metal red hot. It doesn't have to get hot enough to peel paint. The
              point is to make the metal expand and contract, to break the corrosion
              free. I would recommend using anti-seize on the parts, after you get them
              apart. You can get it at auto parts stores. Don't use it on anything that
              must stay tight by friction, like a seat post bolt. I made that mistake
              once. Had to take everything apart and clean the anti-seize out. The bolt
              would not remain tight and my seat would tilt while riding.

              YMMV