DAMN!

  • Mark Garvey
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 19, 2007
      I guess that I have to start saving my money AGAIN!  DRAT! I need to put an X on my 700c Power assist bike now!  Drat Drat Drat!  Maybe I can put the PA 700 C wheel on the back of my Mountain bike???

      mark

      Mark  Garvey
      Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

      Check out the web site at:
      http://www.vine-ave.com

      contact us to have INVISIBLE INC! appear at your next program!  Details at www.vine-ave.com

      I am a bicycling lifestylist!
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 20, 2007

                    Usually I would not bother people on the list about my rides, but I occasionally I notice Rootsradicals members writing about their touring and commuting exploits, so I thought I would share.

                    Yesterday I did a major ride from my home in York, PA to the Center of Baltimore, then I biked back… all in the same day. In the past I have done long touring rides in a day’s time, including an 80 mile length of a tour in the hills and mountains of Upstate New York and an approximate 90 mile ride to Philadelphia from NYC. Yesterday’s trip to and from Baltimore was a total of 116 miles.

                    I believe that might be the longest stretch I have ever ridden in the course of a day, but what made it even tougher was I really have not been riding as much as I did when I lived in NYC and stopped messengering in December of last year. Since moving to PA, sadly I can probably count how many bike rides I have actually ridden on one hand. L After Yesterday’s ride though I think I can safely say I will be riding more often, especially with the opening of another local rail trail being announced today.

                    Speaking of rail trails, most of the trip I took yesterday consisted of a 41 mile length of rail trails. The first 21 miles consists of the Heritage Rail Trail and starts just five minutes away from my apartment. After the 21 miles of rail trail heading south through mostly farmland, the trail hits the Mason-Dixon Line at Pennsylvania’s border, then it continues on through more wooded state park areas via Maryland’s North Central Rail Trail. It is all pretty flat except for about a five mile stretch. However, that stretch is deceptive because though it appears really flat it has a consistently long 2-3% grade and is near the center of the combined trails, so after riding 20 miles you just THINK you have been wearing yourself out.

                    There were times on the ride, when I was hitting that deceptive stretch, where I felt really beat. Luckily I came prepared. Since I could conveniently haul whatever I wanted with my Xtracycle, I brought three bottles of ice water, snacks, repair tools, first aid stuff, lights, and even a roll of toilet paper. On 80 miles of mostly rural trail over the course of several hours, you do not want to take a chance… Toilet paper, don’t leave home without it! J  Along the ride I also picked up three different bottles or beverages and a sandwich.

                    I forgot to mention something… 1/3rd the time it was raining, another 1/3rd the time it was drizzling, and the rest of the time there was either spotty mist or dry clouds. I did not have to worry about getting sun burnt at all, but I did have to lug two sets of rain gear, an extra pair of shoes (I started with cycling sneakers, but switched to my cycling sandals in the rain), and a change of dry clothes along with extra warmer layers as a precaution

                     Around sunset while it was raining I noticed a couple fixing a flat, so I stopped to offer some help. They were fine, but the woman asked me where there was camping along the trail because she noticed how big a load I had. When I told them I was carrying extra gear because I was riding to and from Baltimore, they just looked at me in surprise. It took them a couple of seconds to respond because they probably never conceived someone doing that distance in one day. At that point they only had five miles to go before getting to their car, but I still had over a dozen miles before I got back home.

                    The Xtracycle also helped me haul my 15 pound 3’ long “NY-style” Kryptonite chain and lock, which I did end up using twice, once at my 7-11 stop where I bought a sandwich & extra beverages then another time at my destination in Baltimore. For those of you wondering, my destination was the Baltimore Convention Center. In two weeks there will be a comic convention held there and one of my favorite comic artists will be in attendance. Even though I can order tickets in advance via Ticket-Master, I thought I would ride down to the convention center to see if I can buy tickets in advance at their box office without paying Ticket-Master’s processing fee, which would be a “whopping” $4-$5.

                    It turned out I could not buy advance tickets there, but I had actually guessed it would be that way beforehand. I just mainly wanted to do the ride as a reconnaissance mission for myself before the day of the event. I also wanted to get a sense of how practical it would be for me to ride down to the convention, spend a number of hours there, then ride back home. I left my place in York at 6:23am and arrived at the convention just after 1pm. On my return I arrived back home at 8:15pm. On each half of the trip I took roughly a 30 minute break along the way, so with a break included one length of the route seems to take approximately 7 hours. My Xtracycle rig also has a single speed set up, so if I was doing the route on a streamlined road bike it would obviously take less time. Personally, I would rather arrive somewhere in style by taking my time while also having the convenience of hauling whatever I MIGHT need or want with an Xtracycle. J

        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 20, 2007

                      A good friend of mine just recommended a new independent documentary film, called "What a Way to Go - Life at the end of Empire." It has to do with the peak-oil crisis, global warming, human population growth, the environment, and the social-political structure contributing to all the problems. Apart from what my friend told me along with the film’s two previews and web site, I do not know all the details, but it looks appealing, and I thought Xtracyclers might find it interesting. Has anyone seen it? Here is a link to the site’s QuickTime formatted trailers: http://www.whatawaytogomovie.com/trailers/#

          _TONE_

        • Pete.B
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 20, 2007
            On a similar note, Moreland BUG here in Melb Australia hosted a film night recently where they screened a copy of "The Power of Community: How Cuba Survived Peak Oil" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0814275/

            It examines Cuba as an example of how the way we live may have to change when the the world's demand for oil outstrips maximum production.

            In Cuba's case, the removal of cheap subsidized oil from the soviet system was the catalyst for a major re-think on how Cuban society functioned (transport was NOT the biggest problem they had to face up to).

            A bit of a one-sided documentary that IMHO didn't ask enough tough questions but well worth a viewing.

            --
            Rgds
            Pete

            ---- Tone <Tone@...> wrote:
            > A good friend of mine just recommended a new independent
            > documentary film, called "What a Way to Go - Life at the end of Empire."
            > It has to do with the peak-oil crisis, global warming, human population
            > growth, the environment, and the social-political structure contributing
            > to all the problems. Apart from what my friend told me along with the
            > film's two previews and web site, I do not know all the details, but it
            > looks appealing, and I thought Xtracyclers might find it interesting.
            > Has anyone seen it? Here is a link to the site's QuickTime formatted
            > trailers: http://www.whatawaytogomovie.com/trailers/#
            > <http://www.whatawaytogomovie.com/trailers/>
            > _TONE_

          • Rainbow Flight
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 21, 2007
              Hi folks
              I'm a 'virtual' friend of the makers, Tim and Sally. I found Tim through the Derrick Jensen discussion list a couple of years ago. He has a great way of writing, I really like both Tim and Sally's blogs that you can read at their website.
              They sent me a preview which I've shown to a few folks and the local ASPO-Nelson (peak oil) group. It's a real gem, and I highly recommend it. It's long and intense and takes you to a place way deeper than most other docos I've collected over the last 7 years.
              Please support them by buying a copy yourself at: http://www.whatawaytogomovie.com/purchase-the-dvd/
              Tim and Sally need the sales as they went into debt to finish the doco.
              You can also go check out an interview with them at: http://www.peakmoment.tv/conversations/72.html

              In reflection of their message, I'm happy to have found community here amongst some great folk who recognise the importance of simple living and being on bikes, rather than in cars.....

              Regards
              Ted

              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 21, 2007

                Ted,

                            Since you say you know Tim and Sally, the maker’s of the “What a Way to Go” documentary, do you know if they want to have their film available for rent through Netflix? When my friend recommended the movie to me my first response was to check to see if I could put add it to my Netflix Q. I have gotten to see a number of independent not so easy to come by documentaries that way. Unfortunately it does not appear as if Netflix carries the title, but I did put in for a request for them to carry it. I figured having the documentary on Netflix would make it extremely convenient and available to millions of possible audience members, who might not be able to see it. I do not know how Netflix arranges distribution deal, but I would imagine it would also be financially worth it for Tim and Sally.

                _TONE_

              • Mark Garvey
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 21, 2007
                  On 8/20/07, Tone <Tone@...> wrote:

                  On 80 miles of mostly rural trail over the course of several hours, you do not want to take a chance… Toilet paper, don't leave home without it!

                  TONE!  WAY WAY cool ride man!  I LOVE it and on a Single speed!  WOW!  But I too have discovered that riding a bike is not necessarily how FAST you get somewhere because the JOURNEY is what you are there for!  If it were me, I would stake out a camping spot somewhere about halfway home or maybe closer to the event if possible, stop on the way, set up the tent and then continue on and ride back to the camp.  Or better yet, if you are into gorilla camping, you can find a secluded spot and set up a hidden bivouac somewhere.  In my truck driving, I know a few spots where I can stop and sleep if I wish with no one bothering me!  Maybe in Baltimore it might be different, but around here it wouldn't be difficult to find a spot to lay a sleeping bag!  (a friend uses cemetaries!  slip in, find a secluded place, roll the bag out and sleep out of sight, then scarper just about dawn!)

                  Personally I think the X was MADE to be a super tourer!

                  mark

                  Mark  Garvey
                  Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

                  Check out the web site at:
                  http://www.vine-ave.com

                  contact us to have INVISIBLE INC! appear at your next program!  Details at www.vine-ave.com

                  I am a bicycling lifestylist!
                • Pete B
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 22, 2007
                    On a similar note, here in Melbourne (Australia not Florida) recently,
                    Moreland BUG hosted a film night where they screened a copy of "The Power
                    of Community: How Cuba Survived Peak Oil" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0814275/

                    It looks at Cuba as an example of how the way we live may have to change when
                    the world's demand for oil finally outstrips maximum production.

                    In Cuba's case, the removal of cheap subsidized oil from the soviet system
                    was the catalyst for a major re-think on how Cuban society functioned. Almost
                    counter intuitively, transport was NOT the biggest problem they had to resolve.

                    ---- Tone < Tone@...> wrote:
                    > A good friend of mine just recommended a new independent
                    > documentary film, called "What a Way to Go - Life at the end of Empire."
                    > It has to do with the peak-oil crisis, global warming, human population
                    > growth, the environment, and the social-political structure contributing
                    > to all the problems. Apart from what my friend told me along with the
                    > film's two previews and web site, I do not know all the details, but it
                    > looks appealing, and I thought Xtracyclers might find it interesting.
                    > Has anyone seen it? Here is a link to the site's QuickTime formatted
                    > trailers:
                    http://www.whatawaytogomovie.com/trailers/#
                    > <http://www.whatawaytogomovie.com/trailers/>
                    > _TONE_

                  • Rainbow Flight
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 22, 2007
                      Hi Pete
                      I was at the Community Solutions Conference in 2005 when they launched the doco, and bought a copy as soon as it became available. I've shown it to our peak oil groups and others here.

                      I also explained to them the rest of the story that the film makers told us at the launch. They said through tears, that the Cubans had a really really tough time, and most simply stopped having children for about 15 years. A lot were fleeing the country over that period due to starvation. The way the Cubans treated the US film makers with amazing kindness and hospitality, regardless of how tough and shameful the US governments embargo on them was, appeared to be very humbling.

                      The film makers wanted to paint a positive picture of what could be done with community, but admitted that Cuba was a special case, as the revolution was still going on on the streets, and there was solid community networks to make the switch to organic growing and urban permaculture possible. The reality of what's happening in the 'developed' world may make it difficult to impossible/improbable for the same social cohesion to kick in and support people as the manure hits the wind farm. The message I got from them was 'we' in the 'developed' world had better get our act togeather, build community as fast as possible, and do whatever we can to prepare for the shit-storm...they pretty much agreed that the US was screwed and not ready.....

                      Their responce is "Plan C – Our strategy of culture change, conservation and curtailment." http://www.communitysolution.org/solutions.html
                      I think this is great, except their transport 'solution' is the "Smart Jitney" http://www.communitysolution.org/transport.html  not bicycles, and I doubt they have ever mentioned transpot/utility bikes...

                      I came back to New Zealand, and bought an Xtracycle! Yee hah!

                      Their latest conference is happening in October:"Planning For Hard Times" http://www.communitysolution.org/conference.html
                       ....I'll be in the US over that time and was really hoping to go to it, but financially I now doubt I can do it.

                      Tim and Sally's doco is in a different class again. Very powerful and confrontive, but for me as a fan of Daniel Quinn and Derrick Jensen, I really loved it, its awesome.

                      Regards
                      Ted

                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 26, 2007

                        Hey guys,

                                    You guys know I recently biked 116 miles on my Xtracycle to and from Baltimore within a day. Well, if I did not mention it already my butt and hands were sore for a couple of days afterward. It is really too bad I had totally forgotten the slip-on gel seat cushion I had packed away during my recent move. I actually bought that cushion exactly for the purpose of long touring rides, but simply forgot about it. You better believe the next time I ride down to Baltimore I will remember to pad my saddle!

                                    Unfortunately, that still leaves my palms feeling quite tender and out of whack, even though I usually wear padded cycling gloves. The day I biked to Baltimore the rain soaked into the padding, so I think that may have caused the padded gloves to be somewhat pointless. Whatever the issue, I decided to do something about it.

                                    I actually did not have any bar tape or grips on my handlebars, so clearly that was a major factor to the pain I felt in my palms following the 116 mile ride. However, while working as a messenger in NYC I got used to not having crap on my handlebars because anything I put on them would just wear down then rip and flake away. Besides, the unusual shape of my handlebars makes it difficult to install grips correctly or properly wrap bar tape.

                                    Regardless, after biking the 116 miles I felt handlebar tape or grips would just not be sufficient. I decided to try something a little bit more extreme. My downstairs neighbor recently got one of those 12’ diameter 4’ deep inflatable ring pools for our backyard, which got me thinking. Upon a visit to a local “Dollar General” store, for only $1.50 I returned home with one of those 5’ long foam noodles. With the help of a utility blade to cut the noodle lengthwise down one side along with some 2” wide one-wrap style Velcro straps I usually carry in my Freeloaders anyway, I got some rather interesting results. Check this out and tell me what you think…

                        http://www.moon-shine.net/xs/HandleBars-FromFront.jpg

                        http://www.moon-shine.net/xs/HandleBars-FromRear.jpg

                        http://www.moon-shine.net/xs/HandleBars-FromSeat.jpg

                                    Do you guys think it is too absurd? I already took a ride on it and I can tell you it feels very cushy. I did not even need gloves of any kind. Those padded cycling gloves actually stained my palms somewhat black in all the rain during that long ride anyway, so it is nice not having to ride with any gloves. With the foam noodle on my handlebars I can also lean forward with my elbows against my handlebars to completely give my hands and wrists a rest. Considering it only cost me $1.50 the price can not really be beat. In fact I bought two foam noodles just in case I messed up, so now I have a back up foam noodle, which I can also use now in my neighbors pool! J

                        _TONE_

                      • Murray Neill
                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 26, 2007
                          Good idea Tone. I've used pool noodles before to make padding for my
                          kite buggy and it works great!
                          http://kitebuggy.co.nz/archives/000004.html
                          I never thought to try them on my bike though. I can agree from
                          experience on long tours comfort is key and particularly the hands and
                          wrists. When touring strength doesn't count for much; its endurance
                          that's important and comfort makes all the difference.
                          Your bike will probably float now too!

                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 26, 2007

                            Murray,

                                        I am not exactly sure what a kite buggy is. When I first read your reply I was thinking it was another name for a land or ice based wind-surfing, except with wheels or ice-skates. However, after following your link and looking at the photos I THINK I know what you mean. Basically, it is just a simple three wheeled buggy you sit/recline in and steer with your feet, right? Theoretically you could just roll yourself down a hill like a go-cart, but instead I IMAGINE you use a specially-made “kite” or sail floating up in the air to pull yourself with the winds. J

                                        If that is the case, that sounds pretty cool. I never had much luck with even regular kites, so I doubt I would be able to go far in a kite-buggy, so I will stick with my bicycle. J

                                        By the looks of it, with those “Pool-Stix” your kite-buggy looks like you could float too! J

                                        The main difference in the way you and I applied the tubes for padding appears to be in the manner you were actually more thoughtful. You lubed and slid the Pool-Stix over the entire length of the steel tubing. Where as, I was lazy and simply sliced the Foam Noodle lengthwise (rather than its original extruded “o” shape, I made it into an extruded “c” shape), then attached it with six to eight zip-ties. It was only after I secured the Foam Noodle with zip-ties that I wrapped them in Velcro straps for comfort and a better grip. By using the Velcro straps as a more effective handlebar wrap over the Foam Noodle, I saved myself space in my Freeloaders too.

                                        Either way, we both found very effective alternative uses for Pool-Stix and Foam Noodles!

                            _TONE_

                          • Bill

                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 26, 2007
                                I have tried that but it is nowhere near as durable as the noodles.
                                The pipe insulation I used first lasted only a few weeks of use before
                                it started breaking up. The noodle has lasted two seasons so far.

                                Message 15 of 22 , Aug 26, 2007
                                  > I have tried that but it is nowhere near as durable as the noodles.
                                  > The pipe insulation I used first lasted only a few weeks of use before
                                  > it started breaking up. The noodle has lasted two seasons so far.
                                  If only the noodle were a little less gigantic. And I guess they
                                  would have to be durable, given how they get (ab)used in the pool.

                                  My solution to tired/sore/numb hands was somewhat less drastic (but
                                  more expensive, and probably not as cushy). I just double-wrapped my
                                  handlebars with cork/cork-like tape.

                                  David
                                • Juergen Weichert
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Aug 27, 2007
                                    Soon we (I?) will be adding Xtracycles to recumbent bikes! :-)
                                    Juergen

                                    Tone wrote:

> [...]
                                    > <http://www.moon-shine.net/xs/HandleBars-FromRear.jpg>
                                    >
                                    > http://www.moon-shine.net/xs/HandleBars-FromSeat.jpg
                                    > <http://www.moon-shine.net/xs/HandleBars-FromSeat.jpg>
                                    >
                                    > Do you guys think it is too absurd? I already took a ride on it and I
                                    > can tell you it feels very cushy. I did not even need gloves of any
                                    > kind. Those padded cycling gloves actually stained my palms somewhat
                                    > black in all the rain during that long ride anyway, so it is nice not
                                    > having to ride with any gloves. With the foam noodle on my handlebars
                                    > I can also lean forward with my elbows against my handlebars to
                                    > completely give my hands and wrists a rest. Considering it only cost
                                    > me $1.50 the price can not really be beat. In fact I bought two foam
                                    > noodles just in case I messed up, so now I have a back up foam noodle,
                                    > which I can also use now in my neighbors pool! J

                                  • Ken Ismert
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Aug 28, 2007
                                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Juergen Weichert <juergen@...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > Soon we (I?) will be adding Xtracycles to recumbent bikes! :-)
                                      > Juergen

                                      Here's a link, if you haven't seen it, of just that:

                                      Recumbent Trucks
                                      http://www.angletechcycles.com/bikes/freighter/index.htm

                                      These are Xtracycle upgrades to RANS recumbents...

                                      -Ken
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Sep 6, 2007

                                                    Did someone mention Kona’s 2008 cargo bike, which they are calling the “Ute”? The name sounds familiar, but I do not remember seeing a picture of it. Here is a link:

                                        http://www.konaworld.com/08_ute.htm

                                                    It costs $800 USD, and unless I am reading the specs wrong, it only has front brakes(?)! It also looks like their web page is buggy because a number of the links to the right do not seem to display correctly.

                                                    I find it funny how there seems to be a number of companies coming out with cargo-style bikes… now that Xtracycle has really pushed the market first. Of course it is nice to know major bicycle manufacturers are appreciating the value of a bicycle for practical, work, and hauling purposes.

                                                    I will certainly stick with the Xtracycle or the Big Dummy when it comes out though. At least I know Surly collaborated with Xtracycle to tweak all the design kinks out of the Big Dummy before releasing it. I also really like how the Free Radical’s design allows it to be adaptable for different uses depending on what Xtracycle-brand or retrofitted attachments are put on.

                                        _TONE_

                                      • murray

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Sep 7, 2007
                                              on Sep 6, 2007 Tone wrote:

                                              > It costs $800 USD, and unless I am reading the specs wrong, it only
                                              > has front brakes(?)! It also looks like their web page is buggy
                                              > because a number of the links to the right do not seem to display
                                              > correctly.

                                              I think what's posted on Kona's site is pretty preliminary. There's
                                              more info over on Bike Hugger:

                                              <http://bikehugger.com/2007/08/more_on_konas_ute.htm>

                                              ...looks like it will have a rear v-brake. I'm not sure why you'd mix
                                              brake technologies on a production bike, but I guess it's been done
                                              before (with U-brakes and cantilevers on early mountain bikes, for
                                              example.)

                                              > I find it funny how there seems to be a number of companies coming
                                              > out with cargo-style bikes. now that Xtracycle has really pushed
                                              > the market first. Of course it is nice to know major bicycle
                                              > manufacturers are appreciating the value of a bicycle for
                                              > practical, work, and hauling purposes.

                                              I agree that this is a positive direction for bicycle technology, and
                                              I give Xtracycle a ton of credit for pushing utilitarian longbikes
                                              into the mainstream. Of course, like many things in cycling, it's not
                                              an entirely new technology: <http://clevercycles.com/?p=7>

                                              > I will certainly stick with the Xtracycle or the Big Dummy when it
                                              > comes out though. At least I know Surly collaborated with Xtracycle
                                              > to tweak all the design kinks out of the Big Dummy before releasing
                                              > it. I also really like how the Free Radical's design allows it to
                                              > be adaptable for different uses depending on what Xtracycle-brand
                                              > or retrofitted attachments are put on.

                                              I agree that the Free Radical and Big Dummy designs offer a more
                                              flexible platform than the Kona design. I don't necessarily think
                                              that it's a one-size-fits-all solution though, and Kona's bike may be
                                              more appropriate for some people's needs. I hope Kona's entry into
                                              this part of the market becomes part of a rising tide that will lift
                                              all boats.

                                              Cheers,

                                              Michael (Mauricio B.) Lemberger
                                              Madison, WI
                                              sconnyboy.blogspot.com
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Sep 7, 2007
                                                Looking at the two sites, and looking at the picture, and considering
                                                our
                                                recent discussion on tires, I think one problem with this bike is
                                                that it
                                                might not support really large (2.35 inch) tires, and it might have
                                                limited
                                                clearance for snow tires. There's a post extending between the rear
                                                stays (in the picture) that ought not be quite so long as it is in
                                                the picture.