Re: new member says 'G'day'...

  • rlwieneke
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 9, 2013
      Hi Savvas

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "smpowrie" <kabir@...> wrote:

      > Hi Folks,
      > I'm a Big Dummy rider from Adelaide, Australia. Glad to have found this
      > group and looking forward to some guidance as to how I can 'improve' my
      > bike and get more practical value out of it. I'm particularly interested
      > in what owners may have done to add side-load carrying capacity to their
      > BDs. I know Xtracycle make side-load attachments but they are a bit
      > wide, stick out a bit far and look a bit clunky to my eye! I'm also
      > really interested in practical, simple approaches to electric-assist...
      > I am general coordinator for a project aimed at documenting an amazing
      > flowering of home-grown Longbike culture that spontaneously occurred
      > here in Adelaide in the mid-late '70s. Some initial documentation can be
      > found here:
      > http://portadbug.org/the-adelaide-longbike-an-earlier-cargo-bike-movemen\
      > <http://portadbug.org/the-adelaide-longbike-an-earlier-cargo-bike-moveme\
      > nt> We've shot quite a lot of video with the original designers of
      > these bikes and with current owners which we hope to submit for
      > inclusion in Liz Canning's cargo bike doco.
      > These pre-internet 'Adelaide Longbikes' were never developed and
      > marketed in the fantastic manner that more modern longtails have been.
      > However they were the result of a world-wide correspondence, including
      > exchanges with some who remain cargo-bike luminaries today. I have found
      > it really interesting to see how the design evolution of the modern
      > longbike has converged toward what we saw locally 25 or more years ago
      > (smaller rear wheel, solid side racks, shorter wheelbase, heavy-duty
      > stand etc). I think being mindful of such worldwide synchronicities and
      > convergence can be very positive sometimes and is maybe what we really
      > need today.
      > Anyway, that's me!
      > best wishes,
      > Savvas.

    • Robert Tilley
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 9, 2013
        I use the WideLoaders a ton & think that they really add to the usefulness of the Big Dummy. I also recently picked up the SideCar & am still trying to work out how to best use it. So far I prefer the WideLoaders. I've got a bunch of pictures of various loads using both here:

        On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 8:23 PM, smpowrie <kabir@...> wrote:

        Hi Folks,

        I'm a Big Dummy rider from Adelaide, Australia. Glad to have found this group and looking forward to some guidance as to how I can 'improve' my bike and get more practical value out of it. I'm particularly interested in what owners may have done to add side-load carrying capacity to their BDs. I know Xtracycle make side-load attachments but they are a bit wide, stick out a bit far and look a bit clunky to my eye! I'm also really interested in practical, simple approaches to electric-assist...

        I am general coordinator for a project aimed at documenting an amazing flowering of home-grown Longbike culture that spontaneously occurred here in Adelaide in the mid-late '70s. Some initial documentation can be found here: http://portadbug.org/the-adelaide-longbike-an-earlier-cargo-bike-movement