new member says 'G'day'...

  • smpowrie
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 7, 2013
      Hi Folks,

      I'm a Big Dummy rider from Adelaide, Australia. Glad to have found this group and looking forward to some guidance as to how I can 'improve' my bike and get more practical value out of it. I'm particularly interested in what owners may have done to add side-load carrying capacity to their BDs. I know Xtracycle make side-load attachments but they are a bit wide, stick out a bit far and look a bit clunky to my eye! I'm also really interested in practical, simple approaches to electric-assist...

      I am general coordinator for a project aimed at documenting an amazing flowering of home-grown Longbike culture that spontaneously occurred here in Adelaide in the mid-late '70s. Some initial documentation can be found here: http://portadbug.org/the-adelaide-longbike-an-earlier-cargo-bike-movement
      We've shot quite a lot of video with the original designers of these bikes and with current owners which we hope to submit for inclusion in Liz Canning's cargo bike doco.

      These pre-internet 'Adelaide Longbikes' were never developed and marketed in the fantastic manner that more modern longtails have been. However they were the result of a world-wide correspondence, including exchanges with some who remain cargo-bike luminaries today. I have found it really interesting to see how the design evolution of the modern longbike has converged toward what we saw locally 25 or more years ago (smaller rear wheel, solid side racks, shorter wheelbase, heavy-duty stand etc). I think being mindful of such worldwide synchronicities and convergence can be very positive sometimes and is maybe what we really need today.

      Anyway, that's me!

      best wishes,

      Savvas.
    • rlwieneke
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 9, 2013
        Hi Savvas

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "smpowrie" <kabir@...> wrote:

        > Hi Folks,
        > I'm a Big Dummy rider from Adelaide, Australia. Glad to have found this
        > group and looking forward to some guidance as to how I can 'improve' my
        > bike and get more practical value out of it. I'm particularly interested
        > in what owners may have done to add side-load carrying capacity to their
        > BDs. I know Xtracycle make side-load attachments but they are a bit
        > wide, stick out a bit far and look a bit clunky to my eye! I'm also
        > really interested in practical, simple approaches to electric-assist...
        > I am general coordinator for a project aimed at documenting an amazing
        > flowering of home-grown Longbike culture that spontaneously occurred
        > here in Adelaide in the mid-late '70s. Some initial documentation can be
        > found here:
        > http://portadbug.org/the-adelaide-longbike-an-earlier-cargo-bike-movemen\
        > <http://portadbug.org/the-adelaide-longbike-an-earlier-cargo-bike-moveme\
        > nt> We've shot quite a lot of video with the original designers of
        > these bikes and with current owners which we hope to submit for
        > inclusion in Liz Canning's cargo bike doco.
        > These pre-internet 'Adelaide Longbikes' were never developed and
        > marketed in the fantastic manner that more modern longtails have been.
        > However they were the result of a world-wide correspondence, including
        > exchanges with some who remain cargo-bike luminaries today. I have found
        > it really interesting to see how the design evolution of the modern
        > longbike has converged toward what we saw locally 25 or more years ago
        > (smaller rear wheel, solid side racks, shorter wheelbase, heavy-duty
        > stand etc). I think being mindful of such worldwide synchronicities and
        > convergence can be very positive sometimes and is maybe what we really
        > need today.
        > Anyway, that's me!
        > best wishes,
        > Savvas.