Re: new commuter, buyer's regret, and wanting and xtracycle

  • samdodge@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 19 , May 31, 2013
      The Mundo's HiTen tubing is custom and fat and stiff as hell. It's not your typical 70's crappy road bike HiTen. It's definitely a cost decision but Yuba has always been upfront about trying to keep costs down so that they could bring an affordable option to the market where most cargo-specific bikes are $2k+ (and most are $3k+).

      I recently rode 2 adult passengers for 45 minutes through city traffic and the frame handled the 480lbs (total weight) and potholes just fine.

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "rdstreet" <rdstreet@...> wrote:

      > I am impressed with the amount of response. Thanks to all.
      >
      > The more I read the more attracted I am to a Yuba Mondo. It has the highest weight rating, and costs much less than a Big Dummy. Odd to me that they use high tensile steel, though. Does anyone know if this is a cost or design consideration? I initially assumed it was cost, but I am now considering that it may be because high tensile steel is less flexy, which is a good thing in a cargo bike.
      >
      > I don't have the cash, but I don't have the cash for a fully outfitted FreeRadical either, so a manufactured longtail means saving a little longer, and probably avoiding another thread with "buyers regret" in the title.
      >
      > I am still considering the FreeRadical though, particularly for my wife's bike, which *I think* has conforming dropouts. Her load would be much less, as I have at least 80 pounds on her, and I will carry the heavier children.
      >
      > Rob
      >
      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Rich W" <astronut1001@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Minimum cost is probably an Xtracycle conversion kit installed on a older pre suspension mountain bike. Look around both on Craigslist and at local Salvation Army and other donated material stores such as St. Vincents etc. The old pre suspension MTBs are frequently available cheap. A couple of years ago I picked up a Trek 950 for about $75 at a Goodwill store. It needed new tires, a new bottom bracket and some cleanup but is an excellent older steel MTB that now has a NuVinci rear hub in it. Go for a good quality aluminum or steel frame bike for conversion.
      > >
      > > Rich Wood
      > >
      > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Brian Livelsberger <livelsbe@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > re: flex -- if you have the cash, I'd go with big dummy, Edgerunner, Yuba
      > > > or the like to minimize flex. If cash is a problem, or if you just like the
      > > > add-on idea, aluminum frame is the next best bet, but still only does so
      > > > much, as the primary point of flex comes in the mating between the donor
      > > > frame and the bolt-on attachment. I have an aluminum donor frame and carry
      > > > my 6yo and 3yo, and I've gotten used to the flex, just toned down my riding
      > > > to accommodate when loaded. Is the flex annoying? Yes. Does it limit what I
      > > > do when loaded? Yes, mostly it makes me slower and more deliberate about
      > > > everything. Is it a deal breaker? Heck no! My X is the only bike I ride.
      > > > The other day I lashed a trailer tongue and a couple of cheapo wheels on a
      > > > 2x4 to a 6' length of 7" diameter log and towed it home with both kids on
      > > > bike. It's not a choice between bad and good, but a choice between good and
      > > > better.
      > > >
      > > > Brian, DCish

    • Lawrence
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 3, 2013
        Free Radicals are like levers: bolt one to the frame of a bike and if there is any flex to be found its the perfect tool to find it. I built my FR on a Karate Monkey frame and it performs like a champ( this weekend I delivered an 80lb sapling with my sidecar, but I really have to hand it to anyone brave enough to cart two squirming kids around!) But it all adds up to $850 worth of tubes that took me awhile to mate -no chain stay bridge, rear fork connection that just barely fit, and then there is the every-funky front anchor on the FR that I filled and drilled with JR Weld to stop the bolt from sliding around. And forget the scrap of carpet they give you to put under the alloy clamp (mine melted!), my kink was to cut leather pads from a spare Velo Orange mudflap. In retrospect I would only go the FR route again if I had a suitable base bike gathering dust to start with (like a triple-triangle GT), otherwise it would be a BD or Edge Runner frame. Or something really seductive like the Vanilla frame circulating around a year ago.

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, David Dannenberg <ddannenberg@...> wrote:

        > Well, there you have it. Different amounts of experience and different opinions on ride quality.
        >
        > As Samdog wrote: all options are good.
        >
        > The ideal way to guess which option is best for you (cost aside) would be to try to find one or more of each--an X, a YM, and a BD--to actually ride both loaded and unloaded.
        >
        > As to the weight difference: YM weighs 53lbs (according to this review http://www.upadowna.org/gear/review/yuba-mundo-cargo-bike) and the BD 39.5 lbs. (according to this Dirt Rag article: http://www.dirtragmag.com/reviews/surly-big-dummy). That is a difference of over 13 lbs--around 25%. Whether that matters for your use of a cargo bike I cannot tell you; I think it would matter to me for my uses. And the various accouterments and junk one carries changes the weight as well, as does the build. Weights above are for factory equipped models, not custom build-ups of factory frames.
        >
        > David Dannenberg

      • brad.lide
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 2, 2013
          Rob, I have personally owned two Yuba Mundo's both vs. 3. Wouldn't fool with 1's and 2's. I have personally ridden 2 girls, one weighing 150+ and one weighing 110 with bags and gears. We rode down through main street about 9:30 at night having a great time. I have also ridden my 170 lb son with no issues. The bike is a beast. I have hookworm tires and downhill tubes on it. Not real fast, but clips along at a leisurely 10-12 mph and gets up to 18 down hills. Very stable. I take it on trails, go off road, handles great on grass with the big tires. Very low geared and am able to go up pretty steep grades (very slowly). I am 56 and am pretty heavy myself so appreciate how stable and smooth this is. I find it easier to ride than my commuter.

          I am building an x with a Swobo Heywood and Imotion 9, although may go Nuvinci.
          Am putting a Patterson 2 speed up front so all internal with disc. I have a great time with my grandson and by all means put a bell on the stoker bars.

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Rich W" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

          > Rob;
          >
          > Hi-Ten steel is always a cost consideration driven choice. It is NOT stiffer than chrome-moly FOR THE SAME WALL THICKNESS AND WEIGHT. In Steel the alloy has little effect on the modulus of elasticity. Effective stiffness is a matter of tube diameter and wall thickness.
          >
          > I am not sure about current production but I have read reports of some older Yuba Mundos that had some standard part/accessory mounting holes misaligned making assembly difficult.
          >
          > Rich Wood
          >
          > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "rdstreet" <rdstreet@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I am impressed with the amount of response. Thanks to all.
          > >
          > > The more I read the more attracted I am to a Yuba Mondo. It has the highest weight rating, and costs much less than a Big Dummy. Odd to me that they use high tensile steel, though. Does anyone know if this is a cost or design consideration? I initially assumed it was cost, but I am now considering that it may be because high tensile steel is less flexy, which is a good thing in a cargo bike.
          > >
          > > I don't have the cash, but I don't have the cash for a fully outfitted FreeRadical either, so a manufactured longtail means saving a little longer, and probably avoiding another thread with "buyers regret" in the title.
          > >
          > > I am still considering the FreeRadical though, particularly for my wife's bike, which *I think* has conforming dropouts. Her load would be much less, as I have at least 80 pounds on her, and I will carry the heavier children.
          > >
          > > Rob

        • Brian Livelsberger
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 3, 2013

            A pitch for nuvinci. The range is better in the 2nd gen hub, and it is smooth and solid. No regrets after 1 year of riding it on an X. I have occasion to get on a standard shift bike and an internal gear hub, and the biggest thing that I always miss is my nuvinci.

            On Aug 3, 2013 1:19 AM, "brad.lide" <brad.lide@...> wrote:

            Rob, I have personally owned two Yuba Mundo's both vs. 3. Wouldn't fool with 1's and 2's. I have personally ridden 2 girls, one weighing 150+ and one weighing 110 with bags and gears. We rode down through main street about 9:30 at night having a great time. I have also ridden my 170 lb son with no issues. The bike is a beast. I have hookworm tires and downhill tubes on it. Not real fast, but clips along at a leisurely 10-12 mph and gets up to 18 down hills. Very stable. I take it on trails, go off road, handles great on grass with the big tires. Very low geared and am able to go up pretty steep grades (very slowly). I am 56 and am pretty heavy myself so appreciate how stable and smooth this is. I find it easier to ride than my commuter.

            I am building an x with a Swobo Heywood and Imotion 9, although may go Nuvinci.
            Am putting a Patterson 2 speed up front so all internal with disc. I have a great time with my grandson and by all means put a bell on the stoker bars.

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Rich W" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

            > Rob;
            >
            > Hi-Ten steel is always a cost consideration driven choice. It is NOT stiffer than chrome-moly FOR THE SAME WALL THICKNESS AND WEIGHT. In Steel the alloy has little effect on the modulus of elasticity. Effective stiffness is a matter of tube diameter and wall thickness.
            >
            > I am not sure about current production but I have read reports of some older Yuba Mundos that had some standard part/accessory mounting holes misaligned making assembly difficult.
            >
            > Rich Wood
            >
            > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "rdstreet" <rdstreet@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I am impressed with the amount of response. Thanks to all.
            > >
            > > The more I read the more attracted I am to a Yuba Mondo. It has the highest weight rating, and costs much less than a Big Dummy. Odd to me that they use high tensile steel, though. Does anyone know if this is a cost or design consideration? I initially assumed it was cost, but I am now considering that it may be because high tensile steel is less flexy, which is a good thing in a cargo bike.
            > >
            > > I don't have the cash, but I don't have the cash for a fully outfitted FreeRadical either, so a manufactured longtail means saving a little longer, and probably avoiding another thread with "buyers regret" in the title.
            > >
            > > I am still considering the FreeRadical though, particularly for my wife's bike, which *I think* has conforming dropouts. Her load would be much less, as I have at least 80 pounds on her, and I will carry the heavier children.
            > >
            > > Rob

          • David Dannenberg
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 3, 2013
              For a lark recently I sat with my friend on the back of my Big Dummy while another friend pedaled it around. Very short ride, but did include hills. There were absolutely no problems. Total weight: at least 500lbs plus bike. I wouldn't necessarily recommend that for every day--the Yuba is rated for a higher load--but for the BD ditto what Brad said about his Yuba regarding comfort and stability with and without loads and on grass, gravel, or even trails and if properly geared very very steep hills.