Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Step-thru frame on a freerad

  • Sam Knight
    Message 1 of 7 , May 13, 2013
      You guys are pretty much, unfortunately, telling me exactly what I was expecting.  The specific frame I am looking at is this: http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_548334_-1___202337
      So, much like Brian's frame rather than a Mixte, which I would love but have trouble finding (for cheap) large enough to be practical, as I'm 6' tall.  I have been considering getting this fuji in the 19" size.  I've got enough parts lying around to make a direct swap.  I might just do it anyway, and if it doesn't work out I could always go back and make it back into a light duty cruiser.  Thanks for the feed back!

      -Sam

      On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 10:21 AM, Troy <troysmith80@...> wrote:

      We put a free rad on my wife's aluminum trek ladies cruiser style bike. It may have been called a Calypso, but i couldn't swear to it. It was very comfortable and the step-through ability is _really_ great for a commuter bike. It's so convenient and comfortable, especially if you have something on top of the rear deck like cargo or kids.

      Unfortunately, the combination of the step through frame and the free rad made for a very flexy ride that was disconcerting at times. I especially didn't like the feel of slow speed maneuvering. There was some springiness and lead/lag between inputs and then reactions. Definitely not ideal.

      The free rad on a conventional frame definitely handles better than on a step-through. A one-piece frame like a Yuba Mundo also definitely handles better than a free rad.