Re: [rootsradicals] Step-thru frame on a freerad

  • Abigail vR
    Message 1 of 7 , May 12, 2013
      I ride a step through xTownie. I don't have problems with it and liked being able to get on and off without swinging my leg over the back when me kids used to ride back there. I am not a heavy duty rider, though.

      Abigail

      On May 12, 2013, at 12:42 PM, Brian Livelsberger <livelsbe@...> wrote:

      I hate the flex on my wife's step-thru on the times I've ridden it, can't imagine coupling that with the flex of a free rad -- I'd share your wet noodle concern.

      On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 12:51 PM, Sam Knight <knightscape@...> wrote:

      Hi folks, I'm wondering if anyone can comment on how well a stepthrough frame works as the base for a freeradical?  I'm specifically looking at the 2010 Fuji crosstown 1.0 that Nashbar has on sale as a frame swap for the trusty AL cruiser frame my xtra is based on now.  My main concern is that it would be like riding a wet spaghetti noodle when loaded up.  But I'm thinking the convenience of a total step through would be nice when mounting with my kid in the yepp mini up front or the maxi on the rear.  Thanks for your thoughts.

      -Sam

    • anthonyeberger
      Message 2 of 7 , May 13, 2013
        I've been riding the step-thru I built for my wife a few years back. It's on a old Mixte frame and has been fine. I broke my foot and can't "kick" off on a bike currently so a step thru was the ideal way to go. Having the Xtra to carry my crutches has allowed me to keep riding and still get around once I'm off the bike.

        We did Cranksgiving on this bike last year. Two guys please about 50lbs of groceries. It has flex but nothing unmanageable. I'm even running it with a 700c front and 26 rear (internal 8 Alfine)

        Tony B.
        Milwaukee WI

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Sam Knight <knightscape@...> wrote:

        > Hi folks, I'm wondering if anyone can comment on how well a stepthrough
        > frame works as the base for a freeradical? I'm specifically looking at the
        > 2010 Fuji crosstown 1.0 that Nashbar has on sale as a frame swap for the
        > trusty AL cruiser frame my xtra is based on now. My main concern is that
        > it would be like riding a wet spaghetti noodle when loaded up. But I'm
        > thinking the convenience of a total step through would be nice when
        > mounting with my kid in the yepp mini up front or the maxi on the rear.
        > Thanks for your thoughts.
        >
        > -Sam

      • Brian Livelsberger
        Message 3 of 7 , May 13, 2013
          Ok, I guess I should be a bit more clear... my wife's is a Marin San Rafael EZ Step (http://www.marinbikes.com/2009_html/us/spec_pageLocal.php?serialnum=916), which will have much more flex to it than a Mixte and perhaps some other step through designs.

          Brian.

          On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 7:47 AM, anthonyeberger <anthonyeberger@...> wrote:

          I've been riding the step-thru I built for my wife a few years back. It's on a old Mixte frame and has been fine. I broke my foot and can't "kick" off on a bike currently so a step thru was the ideal way to go. Having the Xtra to carry my crutches has allowed me to keep riding and still get around once I'm off the bike.

          We did Cranksgiving on this bike last year. Two guys please about 50lbs of groceries. It has flex but nothing unmanageable. I'm even running it with a 700c front and 26 rear (internal 8 Alfine)

          Tony B.
          Milwaukee WI

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Sam Knight <knightscape@...> wrote:

          > Hi folks, I'm wondering if anyone can comment on how well a stepthrough
          > frame works as the base for a freeradical? I'm specifically looking at the
          > 2010 Fuji crosstown 1.0 that Nashbar has on sale as a frame swap for the
          > trusty AL cruiser frame my xtra is based on now. My main concern is that
          > it would be like riding a wet spaghetti noodle when loaded up. But I'm
          > thinking the convenience of a total step through would be nice when
          > mounting with my kid in the yepp mini up front or the maxi on the rear.
          > Thanks for your thoughts.
          >
          > -Sam

        • Troy
          Message 4 of 7 , May 13, 2013
            We put a free rad on my wife's aluminum trek ladies cruiser style bike. It may have been called a Calypso, but i couldn't swear to it. It was very comfortable and the step-through ability is _really_ great for a commuter bike. It's so convenient and comfortable, especially if you have something on top of the rear deck like cargo or kids.

            Unfortunately, the combination of the step through frame and the free rad made for a very flexy ride that was disconcerting at times. I especially didn't like the feel of slow speed maneuvering. There was some springiness and lead/lag between inputs and then reactions. Definitely not ideal.

            The free rad on a conventional frame definitely handles better than on a step-through. A one-piece frame like a Yuba Mundo also definitely handles better than a free rad.
          • Sam Knight
            Message 5 of 7 , May 13, 2013
              You guys are pretty much, unfortunately, telling me exactly what I was expecting.  The specific frame I am looking at is this: http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_548334_-1___202337
              So, much like Brian's frame rather than a Mixte, which I would love but have trouble finding (for cheap) large enough to be practical, as I'm 6' tall.  I have been considering getting this fuji in the 19" size.  I've got enough parts lying around to make a direct swap.  I might just do it anyway, and if it doesn't work out I could always go back and make it back into a light duty cruiser.  Thanks for the feed back!

              -Sam