Re: [rootsradicals] Looking to join the ranks

  • Davey Oil
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 9 12:22 PM
      Robert,
      Say more! I use my x for all trips, haul quite a lot of bikes and tools and groceries and almost never use my wideloaders.

      On Apr 9, 2013, at 11:56 AM, rltilley@... wrote:

      For me the single most useful accessory has been the Wideloaders. Not sure how useful they would be with kids on the back but they made the Big Dummy into much more of a car substitute than it was with just the Freeloaders.

      Robert Tilley
      San Diego, CA

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 10 11:05 PM
        I concur on the list so far. Get fun bell and/or squeak horn for yourself and passengers. I regularly call back to my daughter to help me ring her bell as we approach driveways and tight spots. Lighting is a good idea. Even for day time rides. I have blinking lights front and rear. A cheap $10 bike computer for the kids bars is fun too. You can ask them how fast you are going etc. I keep granola bars, coloring books and extra water with me all the time. A handful of straps for the surprise load you may want to bring home (REI sells them in all sizes, I carry, 2 short, 2 medium and 2 long ones, 2 with quick release the others regular).

        Sean

        Sent from my iPad

[...]

      • Robert Tilley
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 11 7:48 AM
          My Dummy mainly gets used as a weekend erand runner so it gets in lots of Costco trips, grocery runs, Home Depot trips, etc. Most of my cargo is odd shaped which makes it somewhat of a pain to load into the Freeloaders. I tend to carry Rubbermaid (?) storage buckets on the Wideloaders which makes getting my cargo home much more efficient for me.

          I don't have any pics of the buckets in use online but they basically help me avoid loads like this:

          http://roberttilley.smugmug.com/Bicycles/Surly-Big-Dummy/16185229_DFKXRK#!i=1911158068&k=BK9BK5j&lb=1&s=O

          They also sit at virtually the same height as the deck so they can be used as a platform as well which came in handy when I decided to pick up some topsoil on the way home from Costco one day. The 40 lb bag loaded right on top of the deck/bucket.

          Robert Tilley
          San Diego, CA