Re: Looking to join the ranks

  • Davey Oil
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 9 11:21 AM
      Looks like you have a good handle on necessary necessaries.
      Do you currently ride the bike you'll be using or is the Craigslist a complete bike? The other tip I've got is to give yerself plenty of time to get really proficient on the bike before loading both kids on.

      Oh, and a great kickstand! The Kickback is great, the Rolling Jackass is one of humanity's greatest achievements.

      And a pair of powered speakers.

      And snacks.

      And a nice, friendly sounding but loud bell.

      And a camera, cause you all are gonna be cute!

      Davey Oil
    • Jeremy Cohen
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 9 12:22 PM
        You are describing me and my bike!  I have a 2 year old on a mini-yepp in the front and a smallish 6 year old on the back.  I have the 6 year old using a stoker handlebar under my seat and two bar ends (mountain-bikey) on the xtracycle frame for foot pegs.  The most important features on our ride are bells for all people (much joy is had by ringing a bell...apparently) streamers for the back handlebars, and a seat pad for the snapdeck.  I keep my repair tools in the secret pockets inside the sideloaders.  To be honest, I ride them both to school and back everyday (7+ miles) and I don't really need much at all.  I suppose there are people out there that will tell you to get electric assist, integrated light systems, yadda-yadda--for me, I just plan enough time, and ride.  My kids love it, and I never have to convince them to ride--this is in Portland, OR so we count on 70% of our rides in the rain.  Good luck!  Start small and build up, that way you can watch the bike grow as you need it to.

        Jeremy

        On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 11:56 AM, <rltilley@...> wrote:

        For me the single most useful accessory has been the Wideloaders. Not sure how useful they would be with kids on the back but they made the Big Dummy into much more of a car substitute than it was with just the Freeloaders.

        Robert Tilley
        San Diego, CA

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 9 12:22 PM
          Robert,
          Say more! I use my x for all trips, haul quite a lot of bikes and tools and groceries and almost never use my wideloaders.

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 10 11:05 PM
            I concur on the list so far. Get fun bell and/or squeak horn for yourself and passengers. I regularly call back to my daughter to help me ring her bell as we approach driveways and tight spots. Lighting is a good idea. Even for day time rides. I have blinking lights front and rear. A cheap $10 bike computer for the kids bars is fun too. You can ask them how fast you are going etc. I keep granola bars, coloring books and extra water with me all the time. A handful of straps for the surprise load you may want to bring home (REI sells them in all sizes, I carry, 2 short, 2 medium and 2 long ones, 2 with quick release the others regular).

            Sean

            Sent from my iPad

[...]

          • Robert Tilley
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 11 7:48 AM
              My Dummy mainly gets used as a weekend erand runner so it gets in lots of Costco trips, grocery runs, Home Depot trips, etc. Most of my cargo is odd shaped which makes it somewhat of a pain to load into the Freeloaders. I tend to carry Rubbermaid (?) storage buckets on the Wideloaders which makes getting my cargo home much more efficient for me.

              I don't have any pics of the buckets in use online but they basically help me avoid loads like this:

              http://roberttilley.smugmug.com/Bicycles/Surly-Big-Dummy/16185229_DFKXRK#!i=1911158068&k=BK9BK5j&lb=1&s=O

              They also sit at virtually the same height as the deck so they can be used as a platform as well which came in handy when I decided to pick up some topsoil on the way home from Costco one day. The 40 lb bag loaded right on top of the deck/bucket.

              Robert Tilley
              San Diego, CA