Re: [rootsradicals] plans for kid seat and a few more questions

  • Sean Mackin
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 28, 2013
      If you want to email me I have an extra set of planet bike fenders. They work great for me. They are quiet and solid.

      Sent from my iPad

      On Mar 27, 2013, at 8:29 PM, Don Thompson <donthompsonjr@...> wrote:

      Hi Radicals,

      I'm continuing to upgrade my cargo bike, and am wondering some could offer a few suggestions.

      1)  Does anyone have plans for a child seat of any sort or a recommendation for something to strap a 3+ year old in to? I have a hooptie ordered, but since my guy isn't 4 for a while, I think having something for him to sit in would be good (and don't want to order a hooptie and the pea pod, a little too pricey).  I figure the hooptie will last for a lot longer.

      2)  I have Big Apple tires, size 2.35, and they're great!  What PSI do others recommend riding on?

      3)  Does anyone have a favorite rear fender they like?

      Thanks,

      DT

    • Brian Livelsberger

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 29, 2013
          I butchered a topeak child seat and bolted it to a snap deck I got off the scratch and dent section of the xtracycle website. It was very easy and works very well

          http://cyclejerk.blogspot.com/2012/04/xtracycle-diy-child-seat.html
        • Nikki Rosenberg
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 29, 2013
            I did something using a milk crate with leg holes cut out of it (http://nicollesoriginals.blogspot.com/2012/12/xtracycle-two-2-child-seat-from-milk.html). I originally had my 18 mo old in the crate and 4.5 year old using it as a back rest with a webbed seat belt with a buckle attaching to it. Then I decided toddler needed a higher back rest and bought the Yepp and moved the crate forward for the older guy. It is getting a little narrow, though, and we are making him a wooden seat to replace the crate. It is almost ready -- just wood on the bottom and back and wooden arm rests. We painted a design and will bolt it to the deck and use the same seat belt he has been using. Nikki

            --
            Nikki Rosenberg
            (415) 948-3755

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
            Brian,

              Sorry for the delay. Attached is some assorted pictures with the pegs up and down as well as the stoker stem set up and seat. I put her old foot rest in place for you to get an idea what she used before her feet reached the pegs. The strap is a generic one from REI. They sell them in a wide variety of sizes and configuration. This one is about 3' long with a quick release buckle. She rarely wears it now.

            Thanks,
            Sean

            Message 6 of 11 , Apr 6, 2013

              On Apr 4, 2013, at 12:22 AM, Sean Mackin <gear.head@...> wrote:

              Brian,

                Sorry for the delay. Attached is some assorted pictures with the pegs up and down as well as the stoker stem set up and seat. I put her old foot rest in place for you to get an idea what she used before her feet reached the pegs. The strap is a generic one from REI. They sell them in a wide variety of sizes and configuration. This one is about 3' long with a quick release buckle. She rarely wears it now.

              Thanks,
              Sean

              --- On Fri, 3/29/13, Brian Livelsberger <livelsbe@...> wrote:

              Sean,

              Where did you source those foot rests from? I wouldn't mind having a set for the occasional adult passenger on mine.

              Steve
            • gear.head@verizon.net
              Message 7 of 11 , Apr 6, 2013
                The ones I used are by Odessey. If you look on Ebay search "fork standers". You will need to make a small shim. I used a strip of plastic cut from a plastic bottle. My wife finds them comfortable too.

                Sean

                From: Steve Fuller <sfuller@...>
                Sender: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2013 07:30:59 -0500