Re: [rootsradicals] plans for kid seat and a few more questions

  • Brian Livelsberger
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 28, 2013
      I picked up a secondhand Topeak Baby Sitter 2, traced the snapdeck onto 1/2" pine, cut it out, then traced the rack mount that comes with the baby seat, cut out the profile, and screwed the rack/mount on at the tail of the deck. I can now install and remove that seat in seconds per manufacturer's mechanism. My 2.5yo has been riding in that for about a year now with her 5yo brother in front of her holding onto a stoker bar with his feet on some hacked-together footsies. The 2.5yo now insists that she take turns with the 5yo (who completely overwhelms the Topeak!) at the stoker bar. I take it easy, and she really does quite well, totally loves it. I'd think that gentle riding with hooptie would be fine for your 3+, depending on your child's individual characteristics, especially once you both get acclimated. Maybe install it and take a few easy rides, see how little one does.

      Regards
      Brian.

      On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 8:43 AM, Liz W Durham <lizwdurham@...> wrote:

      Hey DT.
      I just used a basic webbed strap with a buckle. It was enough to remind him to stay seated. I also put a stoker bar off my seat post. Having something to hold on to definitely helped him.

      On Mar 27, 2013 10:29 PM, "Don Thompson" <donthompsonjr@...> wrote:

      Hi Radicals,

      I'm continuing to upgrade my cargo bike, and am wondering some could offer a few suggestions.

      1)  Does anyone have plans for a child seat of any sort or a recommendation for something to strap a 3+ year old in to? I have a hooptie ordered, but since my guy isn't 4 for a while, I think having something for him to sit in would be good (and don't want to order a hooptie and the pea pod, a little too pricey).  I figure the hooptie will last for a lot longer.

      2)  I have Big Apple tires, size 2.35, and they're great!  What PSI do others recommend riding on?

      3)  Does anyone have a favorite rear fender they like?

      Thanks,

      DT

    • Sean Mackin
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 28, 2013
        DT,

          I will broach this one with caution since it stirred up quite the discussion back when I first posted my set up. Anyway. For my kids (3 have ridden with me safely in different configurations) I put together a simple stoker set up similar to what you can buy from xtracycle but way cheaper. First on the shopping list is a seat post shim from 27.2 to 28.6, you can find them on eBay for $3-$5. This will allow you to use a standard 1 1/8" bike stem as a stoker stem. Next find a nice long stem with decent rise, I currently have 135mm. Again, eBay is a good place to start but Nashbar and Jensen usually get stuck with the long ones, so they are usually pretty cheap on close out. Couple that with and old riser handlebar cut down to size. The next part of my set up is the pad and belt. I took and old stadium seat cushion and trimmed it into a nice short pad to sit on. I made a cover out of an old sweatshirt. The seat belt I use is a generic web strap with quick release from REI. I have about 6 of them with me all the time anyway. They are great for securing loads. Especially precious ones like a little one. With the belt, pad and stoker they are secure and comfortable. For fun we have added a foot pad for little feet and buddy pegs for longer legs. Those too can be found under "fork standers" in the bmx section. Those are clamp on foot pegs. I have the flip up odyssey brand on mine. I will send you a bunch of pictures if you would like.

          Currently my 4 year old and I have been doing weekly mountain bike adventures with this set up. We stick mostly to fire roads and very tame single track. It is super fun!

          As for tire pressures experiment and see what works best. I have dabbled down in the 20's but usually run low 30's for good compromise between traction, comfort and rolling resistance.

          Have fun and get those kids out on a bike

        Sean

        Sent from my iPad

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 29, 2013
              I butchered a topeak child seat and bolted it to a snap deck I got off the scratch and dent section of the xtracycle website. It was very easy and works very well

              http://cyclejerk.blogspot.com/2012/04/xtracycle-diy-child-seat.html
            • Nikki Rosenberg
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 29, 2013
                I did something using a milk crate with leg holes cut out of it (http://nicollesoriginals.blogspot.com/2012/12/xtracycle-two-2-child-seat-from-milk.html). I originally had my 18 mo old in the crate and 4.5 year old using it as a back rest with a webbed seat belt with a buckle attaching to it. Then I decided toddler needed a higher back rest and bought the Yepp and moved the crate forward for the older guy. It is getting a little narrow, though, and we are making him a wooden seat to replace the crate. It is almost ready -- just wood on the bottom and back and wooden arm rests. We painted a design and will bolt it to the deck and use the same seat belt he has been using. Nikki

                --
                Nikki Rosenberg
                (415) 948-3755

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
                Brian,

                  Sorry for the delay. Attached is some assorted pictures with the pegs up and down as well as the stoker stem set up and seat. I put her old foot rest in place for you to get an idea what she used before her feet reached the pegs. The strap is a generic one from REI. They sell them in a wide variety of sizes and configuration. This one is about 3' long with a quick release buckle. She rarely wears it now.

                Thanks,
                Sean

                Message 8 of 11 , Apr 6, 2013

                  On Apr 4, 2013, at 12:22 AM, Sean Mackin <gear.head@...> wrote:

                  Brian,

                    Sorry for the delay. Attached is some assorted pictures with the pegs up and down as well as the stoker stem set up and seat. I put her old foot rest in place for you to get an idea what she used before her feet reached the pegs. The strap is a generic one from REI. They sell them in a wide variety of sizes and configuration. This one is about 3' long with a quick release buckle. She rarely wears it now.

                  Thanks,
                  Sean

                  --- On Fri, 3/29/13, Brian Livelsberger <livelsbe@...> wrote:

                  Sean,

                  Where did you source those foot rests from? I wouldn't mind having a set for the occasional adult passenger on mine.

                  Steve
                • gear.head@verizon.net
                  Message 9 of 11 , Apr 6, 2013
                    The ones I used are by Odessey. If you look on Ebay search "fork standers". You will need to make a small shim. I used a strip of plastic cut from a plastic bottle. My wife finds them comfortable too.

                    Sean

                    From: Steve Fuller <sfuller@...>
                    Sender: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2013 07:30:59 -0500