which xtracycle accessory for free radical?

  • soappedaler
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 28, 2013
      I have a Dummy with the original bag style and love it, use it for my business, my 17 year old niece has been helping me at the Farmer's market and needs a bike to ride and carry her 26 pound dog. So I'm thinking about adding an xtracyle to my LHT and using a sidecar for the dog, in a carrier. I have a sidecar but don't use it much. Any thoughts on this?

      Also for economy I'm thinking about going with the hoodie, it seems limited, any thoughts?

      How would you carry a 26 pound dog?
    • Robert Tilley
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 28, 2013
        A nice post about building a dog carrier on a wideloader is here:

        Correct link to photos in above post here:

        Robert Tilley
        San Diego, CA

        On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 7:01 AM, soappedaler <soappedaler@...> wrote:
        I have a Dummy with the original bag style and love it, use it for my business, my 17 year old niece has been helping me at the Farmer's market and needs a bike to ride and carry her 26 pound dog. So I'm thinking about adding an xtracyle to my LHT and using a sidecar for the dog, in a carrier. I have a sidecar but don't use it much. Any thoughts on this?

        Also for economy I'm thinking about going with the hoodie, it seems limited, any thoughts?

        How would you carry a 26 pound dog?

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            rootsradicals-digest@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Jeffrey Hiroshima-Chan
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1 2:24 PM
          I would go the rout of a trailer unless she has a bunch of other stuff to carry. An extra+a sidecar+ surly LHT = a ton of money.

          I'm all for getting new extracycle users but there may be cheaper and just as efficient ways to meet your goals.

          Sent from my iPhone
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2 10:47 AM
            Robert already posted a link to the instructional guide I wrote up for
            the Xtracycle compatible side car for dogs, which I made and call the dog
            chariot. Thanks Robert for also correcting the link within that old post
            of mine.

            I can say from experience the dog chariot works really well. When in a
            car I always put a full chest harness around my dog with it chained to
            the back seat’s head rest to make sure a sudden stop does not choke my
            pup from the forces of being thrown forward during an abrupt stop. The
            same goes for the dog chariot. I either use a chain with a clip to attach
            the harness to the dog chariot framing or I just clip a leash to the
            harness with the handle loop of the leash wrapped around the stoker bar I
            attached to my seat post. There is a close up photo of the leash and
            stoker bar set up, along with all the other photos and technical guides
            on:
            http://www.cranksgiving.net/XtraDogChariot/

            What is nice about the leash set up is I can stop and tell my dog,
            Pandora, “Off” and she will get off. Granted she does it reluctantly
            sometimes because she is either lazy or wants to be closer to me, but
            once she is off I can ride with her running alongside me. When I do that
            I always try to ride at the edge of the pavement beside the grass though.
            I found out early on the pavement is hard on her feet, especially when
            the asphalt is hot during the summer from the sun. Now Pandora is fully
            grown, so I do not think that is as much of a problem, but I would think
            soft grass still feels much nicer to any dog’s feet.
            It did not take too long, maybe two or three outings at about 15-30
            minutes each, for my dog to become accustomed to her optimal positioning
            when running along side my bike. Before that it was awkward with her
            pulling away a lot or being fearful of my big-assed bike while in motion.
            Make sure your leash is not too long when doing this though because your
            dog might be inclined to slow down and trail behind you. If your dog can
            do that, then he/she will also be able to switch to the other side of
            your bike, which means your dog might be exposed to automobile traffic!

            Admittedly, I have not ridden with my dog for a long while. The last time
            I did she was around forty pounds. The photos of her on the dog chariot
            were when she was still less than twenty. In any case, when she was
            around forty pounds I had to make sure I was securely straddling my bike
            before she got in. Otherwise she was likely to tip it over if she hopped
            on alone with enthusiasm. Keep in mind this happened despite me having a
            Kick Back dual-footed kickstand. I actually had to take Pandora to the
            vet this past Thursday for a mild ear infection, and they weighed her. To
            my surprise she is now seventy nine pounds! They grow up so fast. She is
            a Border-Collie/Lab mix, so we figured she would max out at about sixty
            pounds. I have handled unbalanced loads of that weight on one side of my
            bike before, so I was not too worried. Eighty pounds might be a whole
            other ball game though, but I am still confident I can manage.
            In any case, since the original inquiry stated the niece’s dog is twenty
            six pounds, I have no doubt that dog would be easily manageable even by a
            seventeen year old young lady. Heck, my bicycle lock and chain weigh
            about that much! In fact, I use my lock and chain to counter-balance
            loads on my bike, including my dog.

            I would imagine for a dog weighing only twenty six pounds a person could
            get away with not having to build something as elaborate as I did. When I
            was a messenger I used a trick where I would drop the free loader flaps
            through my wide loaders, then I would pull them out and up around the
            wide loader bars before clipping the free loader’s three straps back up
            to the buckling points at the deck. This effectively created a tightened
            hammock stretched below and between the wide loader and the free radical
            frame. It also provided an added fabric lip/bumper/wall of about four to
            six inches high extending up from the wide loaders. The height of the
            fabric wall depended on how deep I inserted my wide loader tubing into
            the free radical mount holes. This was before Xtracycle used spring-clips
            inside the tubing to retain the wide loaders in the mounting holes, so
            this trick also kept my wide loaders in place from gradually shaking out.
            I would not recommend using just this set up with a dog because their
            paws nails might rip into the free loader fabric. However, you could just
            drop a 0.25” to 0.5” small sheet of plywood or plastic down into that
            same space to support such a small dog. The mesh/flap at the ends of the
            free loader with its tightened draw string should be enough to keep the
            dog in place fairly well. I would just make sure the edges of the board
            are smoothed out well or have some kind of added soft/thick edging so
            your board does not cut/saw into the free loader fabric. Maybe just
            wrapping the board in a towel or small blanket would do the trick, and it
            could also be easily removed to be washed while providing a little bit of
            padding and grip for your dog.

            To the original inquiring poster (SoapPedaler), you said you have a side
            car. Is that a side car made specifically for use with an Xtracycle set
            up, or is it a side car for attachment on any bike. My question is merely
            for my own curiosity, but if you already have a side car, then I would
            think it would be ideal for carrying a dog, even a larger one than mine.
            Do you have photos of the side car?

            Ride safe,
            _TONE_
          • Cara Lin Bridgman
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 3 3:21 AM
              My dog is about a third of the weight of the dog in question. He is
              about 6 kg or 8 lbs. I bought a laundry basket to sit on the
              non-traffic-side wide-loader. I use the free-loader clips to hook the
              laundry basket into place through the basket's handle holes. I figured
              the dog's weight would keep the basket from flipping out over bumps
              (since the attachment was only at the top), but went ahead and added
              another strap that went through one handle, around the basket and to the
              wide loader. This basket could easily contain a much larger dog. The
              only problem with my dog is that he's too small to get in by himself. I
              have to lift him in and out.

              My dog wears a harness. I fixed a strap with a clip on it to the top of
              the non-traffic-side v-rack. I clip this strap (aka seat belt) to the
              front of my dog's harness. I found that if I clip it to the back of his
              harness (i.e. the usual spot), he could jump out (but this was with a
              smaller basket). I usually clip his leash to the front of his harness,
              too, since it helps keep him from pulling (or swings him back around to
              me when he does pull).

              Somewhere on the internet, I have seen a picture of someone carrying a
              2-3-year-old nephew in a free-loader. The kid looked comfortable
              enough. When I tried it, the kid wasn't that familiar with me or the
              bike, so it was no-go.

              Anyway, I find that the weight of my dog is negligible, but his basket
              is on the opposite side of my bike's battery (I've got a stokemonkey).
              A 2-3-year-old kid probably wouldn't be too much of a problem, either.
              A lot of it has to do with experience. Heavier weights, like Tone's
              80-lb dog, would require some adjustment in handling.

              I have carried loads that were so heavy and so poorly balanced (this
              last being the problem), that I had trouble getting started and needed a
              push. After that, it was ok. Recently, I carried a large box full of
              books that was heavy enough to make the bike wheelie when parked. The
              box could have been 70-80 lbs. I could pull the bike down when I wanted
              to ride it - so no wheelies in transit. I did have to give the bike a
              serious lean to compensate for the weight. This lean for balance
              becomes automatic with practice.

              CL