Re: [rootsradicals] Xtracycle build failure part 2

  • gear.head@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 21, 2013
      If you are going to stick with the xtra set up I would go steel, 26" rigid. The standard chromoly mtb frame of the 80's worked great for me. They are plentiful and cheap. I just saw a made in the USA trek 800 at the local thrift store for $30. Also the 26" allows a wide range of tire options. Leaning towards a larger volume tire negates the need for suspension fork issues.

      Sean

      From: "kiltie_celt" <matthew-campbell@...>
      Sender: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 15:53:52 +0000
      To: <rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [rootsradicals] Xtracycle build failure part 2

      Okay, so the search for a larger frame continues. One stumbling block is trying to keep the price of the frame to something reasonable. Reasonable being less than $200 I hope. There was a possibility of getting a Long Haul Trucker frame at cost, which is roughly about $280. I could still stomach that because the LHT frame is really nice, however that deal possibility fell through and is likely off the table at this point.

      One of the things I began debating though, was going with another cro-moly steel frame like my Stumpjumper or going with an aluminum frame. I've been reading that a lot of folks like an aluminum frame to go with the FreeRadical because the stiffness of the aluminum helps combat some of the inherent flexiness of bolt on design of the attachment.

      The problem I'm running into, looking at all the aluminum frames available is that most of them are designed around front suspension, whether they come with a fork or not. I can buy a suspension-corrected fork but that just seems to mean the frame is going to have a weird, jacked-up front end. I'm sure it doesn't affect the handling any, but has anyone felt that a suspension-corrected fork/frame combo handles weirdly with as an Xtracycle?

      Another idea was building up the Xtracycle around the same 700c touring frame that my daily commuter bike is built on. I could still run a 26" rear tire which would help with weight capacity. However, the front fork would potentially limit the front tire (with fender), to no more than possibly 700x40, maybe, MAYBE 700x45, but I doubt that large size (equivalent to 28x1.75), would fit within the fork.

      Of course that sort of Edgerunner layout might work, in theory but the front end would be jacked up a couple inches over the back and I don't know if that makes a difference, especially when the wheelbase is so long. Also, I wonder if the 700c up front would compromise low speed handling with a heavy load. I'm not too enamored of that idea as a whole. Just seems to have too many potential issues.

      So, any thoughts from you folks regarding steel versus aluminum, 26 versus 700c, suspension-corrected versus frames designed to be totally rigid (ie. older 90s mtbs or something like a LHT)?