Re: [rootsradicals] Xtracycle build failure part 2

  • Brian Livelsberger
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 21, 2013

      I have a suspension fork (Giant Boulder XT frame w stock fork), and like it, have had no problems at all. So far 1 yr of riding as an xtracycle conversion (just over 1000 mi) in varied conditions, half of it under an approx 100lb load of kids and school gear. Lots of flex in the add-on frame under these conditions, very happy that the donor frame itself is stiff.

      Brian, DCish

      On Feb 21, 2013 10:53 AM, "kiltie_celt" <matthew-campbell@...> wrote:

      Okay, so the search for a larger frame continues. One stumbling block is trying to keep the price of the frame to something reasonable. Reasonable being less than $200 I hope. There was a possibility of getting a Long Haul Trucker frame at cost, which is roughly about $280. I could still stomach that because the LHT frame is really nice, however that deal possibility fell through and is likely off the table at this point.

      One of the things I began debating though, was going with another cro-moly steel frame like my Stumpjumper or going with an aluminum frame. I've been reading that a lot of folks like an aluminum frame to go with the FreeRadical because the stiffness of the aluminum helps combat some of the inherent flexiness of bolt on design of the attachment.

      The problem I'm running into, looking at all the aluminum frames available is that most of them are designed around front suspension, whether they come with a fork or not. I can buy a suspension-corrected fork but that just seems to mean the frame is going to have a weird, jacked-up front end. I'm sure it doesn't affect the handling any, but has anyone felt that a suspension-corrected fork/frame combo handles weirdly with as an Xtracycle?

      Another idea was building up the Xtracycle around the same 700c touring frame that my daily commuter bike is built on. I could still run a 26" rear tire which would help with weight capacity. However, the front fork would potentially limit the front tire (with fender), to no more than possibly 700x40, maybe, MAYBE 700x45, but I doubt that large size (equivalent to 28x1.75), would fit within the fork.

      Of course that sort of Edgerunner layout might work, in theory but the front end would be jacked up a couple inches over the back and I don't know if that makes a difference, especially when the wheelbase is so long. Also, I wonder if the 700c up front would compromise low speed handling with a heavy load. I'm not too enamored of that idea as a whole. Just seems to have too many potential issues.

      So, any thoughts from you folks regarding steel versus aluminum, 26 versus 700c, suspension-corrected versus frames designed to be totally rigid (ie. older 90s mtbs or something like a LHT)?

    • Thom Chiaramonte

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 21, 2013
          Currently I have a Big Dummy, but prior to it I had a Univega 750 FS
          mountain bike frame with the Xtracycle on the back. The Univega was a
          fat tubed aluminum frame, and I honestly feel it was felt more rigid
          with a load on the Xtracycle than my Big Dummy. I can only attribute
          that to the flex inherent to the Big Dummy’s steel frame. The Univega
          lasted me for many years, with over 30,000 miles on it. I worked as a
          cargo bike messenger in New York City on that thing, but most of my
          heavier loads were personal, like Costco wholesale runs or lumber from
          Lowes, etc. I also liked the Univega because the top tube was lower down
          than most other bikes. With the top tube being lower
          mounting/dismounting the bike was easier, but it also meant I could get
          some relief from the saddle while waiting for traffic lights by sitting
          at an angle over the thick frame tubing.

          When I first got the Univega it was before the turn of the century
          (sounding like an old-timer), so I am not sure you would be able to find
          one. If my Big Dummy ever catastrophically failed on me though, I think I
          might try to hunt down a Univega though and attach an Xtracycle again. I
          am all about low-maintenance, so having the pricier Big Dummy makes me
          constantly paranoid over rust developing. I know the FreeRadical
          extension is susceptible to rust, but at least with an aluminum donor
          bike frame I could still be riding a bike while I get a replacement
          FreeRadical… and that would also be cheaper than an entire Big Dummy.

          I believe the Univega came with a stock suspension fork. Admittedly, I’m
          not sure what you mean by a suspension-corrected fork, though I have
          heard the term before. In any case, when I first got the Univega, I
          dialed down the suspension fork to be as stiff and responsive as
          possible. Eventually though I replaced it with a non-suspension fork,
          which also had disc brake mounts. That was before I upgraded to an
          Xtracycle extension though. I am not a big stickler on biometrics,
          dimensions, and geometry. I just try out bikes to feel my comfort level
          with them. Either way, I never felt replacing the fork “jacked-up” the
          front end as you say.

          To your other inquiry into input on using your 700c touring frame with an
          Xtracycle, I would not recommend that. Admittedly, I am not really a road
          bike rider, so I may be biased. I have always been a mountain bike hybrid
          guy, who rides with 1.5-1.75” tires even on my long-tail bikes. Keep in
          mind, I have certainly toured with panniers and camping loads on my
          hybrids. It is just that I feel a tougher mountain bike is much more
          suited for ideal compatibility with an Xtracycle. As you pointed out you
          would most likely have better suited tire/wheel options with a mountain
          bike frame than with your touring bike. Then again, as I said, I am more
          about feel than crunching numbers, so if you tend to feel more
          comfortable riding your touring bike, you may want to start off trying to
          merge an Xtracycle to your commuter touring bike. That would be cheaper
          than initially trying to purchase an unfamiliar mountain bike as your
          donor frame for and Xtracycle. Who knows, as you progress you may find
          you do feel more comfortable on your 700c touring bike, then decide to
          keep it as your Xtracycle’s mate.

          I hope that helps, but keep in mind if you mate an aluminum frame to an
          Xtracycle there are some minor issues you have to accommodate for. One
          significant issue is the steel tongue of the Xtracycle grinding/sawing
          into the chain-stay bridge of my aluminum Univega. Every now and then
          after getting the Xtracycle, I would feel it becoming a little squeamish
          and would have to tighten the bolts passing through the tongue. At first
          I just thought I had to break it in or something, but then when it
          happened one or two more times I figured I should apply some loc-tite to
          the tongue bolt. When I was going to do that I only then noticed the
          steel tongue was cutting slowly into the aluminum. That was what caused
          the bolt to loosen, not apparent road vibrations as I had speculated.
          Keep in mind this is while I was working every day as a messenger and
          therefore putting my bike through a lot of motions. The average Xtracycle
          rider with an aluminum donor frame probably would not experience what I
          did, at least not as extreme. In any case, by the time I caught it the
          chain-stay bridge had been cut almost in half with two grooves. The
          simple fix I applied was buying an inexpensive short piece of plumbing
          pipe from Lowes or whatever, then I cut a few little trapezoidal shaped
          half-pipes with drill holes in the middle. Using two of these I
          sandwiched the chain-stay bridge before reattaching the Xtracycle. That
          totally fixed the issue.

          Ride safe,
          _TONE_
        • kiltie_celt
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 21, 2013
            TONE,

            A "suspension-corrected" rigid fork is simply a fork that replaces a suspension fork. They are designed to have a similar trail to a suspension fork and have longer legs than a typical rigid fork for a bike that would be specced without front suspension. Basically just a longer rigid fork to replace a suspension fork.

            The more I've thought about it, I just can't do a 700c frame, even one as robust as the Nashbar touring frame that is the basis of my everyday commuter rig. I just won't be able to get fat enough tires for the front wheel. I'm definitely narrowing it down on some inexpensive aluminum frames. Thanks for the advice on watching the connection area at the chainstay bridge. It seems like it might just be a better idea to add a second FAP in there with a longer bolt and do away with a direct connection around the chainstay bridge.

            The other major reason for sticking with 26" wheels is that I already ordered some nice Schwalbe Marathon 420 tires and I have some SKS Chromoplastic fenders ready for installation. I just have to keep plugging in the numbers until I find a frame that looks like the measurements will work.

          • gear.head@verizon.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 21, 2013
              If you are going to stick with the xtra set up I would go steel, 26" rigid. The standard chromoly mtb frame of the 80's worked great for me. They are plentiful and cheap. I just saw a made in the USA trek 800 at the local thrift store for $30. Also the 26" allows a wide range of tire options. Leaning towards a larger volume tire negates the need for suspension fork issues.

              Sean

              From: "kiltie_celt" <matthew-campbell@...>
              Sender: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 15:53:52 +0000