Re: Troubleshooting Build Issues

  • thirdraildesignlab
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2013
      Ha, my FAP bolt was rock solid! But it's been customized considerably, or rather, the FAP itself.

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Pete B wrote:

      > Never had a problem with the "special nuts" loosening. I did convert them
      > over to quick release skewers (from spare seatpost clamps) early on though.
      >
      > Did have a problem with the long bolt through the front tonque/FAP moving
      > but that's another story...
      >

      > On 23 January 2013 11:15, thirdraildesignlab wrote:
      >

      > > 1. Have you ever had your 'special nuts' loosen on their own? I admit that
      > > checking these nuts was not on my regular pre-ride checklist as it should
      > > have been, but I noted yesterday that one side had loosened and allowed the
      > > left side of the FR to lift up and out of the drops (given substantial high
      > > center of gravity weight loading at the time) rendering the bike not only
      > > unridable, but pretty much uncontrollable. No injury to me or my lil'
      > > passengers. But I was surprised that there was loosening of these bolts,
      > > given their critical importance, and even more so that it happened on one
      > > side of a largely symmetrical assembly (excepting of course the force of
      > > the drivetrain on the opposing side)
      >

      > 'The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any
      > member of a civilised community against his will, is to prevent harm to
      > others. He cannot rightfully be compelled for his own good, or because, in
      > the opinion of others, it would be wise, or even right. These are good
      > reasons for persuading him, but not for compelling him.' : John Stuart Mill

    • thirdraildesignlab
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2013
        Mine is a custom trapezoidal section of thick block aluminum top and bottom with more retaining bolts across its surface. Great investment! But in my case, due to the frame size, it was necessary.

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Pete B wrote:

        > For the FAP rotation, I stuck a thicker piece of scrap nylon carpet to the
        > plate.
        > That and a nylock with spring washer seemed to stop the problem.
        >
        > 'The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any
        > member of a civilised community against his will, is to prevent harm to
        > others. He cannot rightfully be compelled for his own good, or because, in
        > the opinion of others, it would be wise, or even right. These are good
        > reasons for persuading him, but not for compelling him.' : John Stuart Mill
        >

        > On 27 January 2013 14:38, Don Thompson wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > I've had that same issue with the long bolt, FAP moving. I adjust VERY
        > > tight, but it still rotates counter clockwise after a week of riding. It
        > > never loosens, but just moves. Did you fix this problem on yours?

      • thirdraildesignlab
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2013
          SO, I'm taking the bike into my LBS that helped with some of the final details on this build and the customization, this saturday, so assuming the bike frame hasn't deformed or cracked under the torsional stress, I should be back in action next week. When it comes to my kids I want a professional to review such things. It occurs to me that I never posted the build photos and notes from this project, so I will do so after this is fixed. Overall it's been an awesome bike, with compromises that were not unexpected.