Re: Troubleshooting Build Issues

  • thirdraildesignlab
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2013
      MJ, I'm right there with ya. Or will be, in some years time.
      I have a Burley trailer, though I've never attached it to the Xtracycle. I have a Piccolo, but my eldest is still not yet 4, so we're a ways off. I do find that if I weight down the Freeloaders with copious quantities of sundries, lowering the center of gravity helps a lot.
      The instability is really felt at the bars. The steerer becoming a pivot point. Well, BEING a pivot point, but becoming the hardest to manhandle into staying stable at slow speeds and stops. I actually originally put some touring bars with some sweep back to make the overall dimension of the bike narrower (my aforementioned bike access issue) but switched back to long straight bars to give myself a wider triangle.

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "MJ" wrote:

      > Hey Thom,
      >
      > The X has been a wonderful addition to our family for 9 years now, and I can share a couple of tips about hauling kids. My boys are now 8 and 5, and their combined weight had me huffing and puffing as I biked them 6 miles to school each morning last fall. On the plus side, I turned in a great time in a century ride I did in early October. Thanks kids!
      >
      > Given the high center of gravity and the likelihood that the guys will be even heavier this spring, I've become concerned about the possibility of low speed crashes. It's when we're stopping and starting that the X is most unstable, as you seem to be experiencing as well.
      >
      > This spring, I plan to get a Burley Piccolo, attach it to the X and ask the heaviest kid to pedal along with me. In addition to lowering the center of gravity, I should get a small boost from his workout. The Piccolo attaches to the X with enough room to spare for the smaller guy. It's a solution that just came to me recently, so I thought I'd share it.
      >
      > The problem with high center of gravity/kid hauling must be fairly widespread: the new X's have small wheels in the back to lower the center of gravity plus rollbars for rear seat passengers. Nice additions, but we plan to get a few more years out of our original X before moving on to another.
      >
      > Good luck!

    • thirdraildesignlab
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2013
        Ha, my FAP bolt was rock solid! But it's been customized considerably, or rather, the FAP itself.

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Pete B wrote:

        > Never had a problem with the "special nuts" loosening. I did convert them
        > over to quick release skewers (from spare seatpost clamps) early on though.
        >
        > Did have a problem with the long bolt through the front tonque/FAP moving
        > but that's another story...
        >

        > On 23 January 2013 11:15, thirdraildesignlab wrote:
        >

        > > 1. Have you ever had your 'special nuts' loosen on their own? I admit that
        > > checking these nuts was not on my regular pre-ride checklist as it should
        > > have been, but I noted yesterday that one side had loosened and allowed the
        > > left side of the FR to lift up and out of the drops (given substantial high
        > > center of gravity weight loading at the time) rendering the bike not only
        > > unridable, but pretty much uncontrollable. No injury to me or my lil'
        > > passengers. But I was surprised that there was loosening of these bolts,
        > > given their critical importance, and even more so that it happened on one
        > > side of a largely symmetrical assembly (excepting of course the force of
        > > the drivetrain on the opposing side)
        >

        > 'The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any
        > member of a civilised community against his will, is to prevent harm to
        > others. He cannot rightfully be compelled for his own good, or because, in
        > the opinion of others, it would be wise, or even right. These are good
        > reasons for persuading him, but not for compelling him.' : John Stuart Mill

      • thirdraildesignlab
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2013
          Mine is a custom trapezoidal section of thick block aluminum top and bottom with more retaining bolts across its surface. Great investment! But in my case, due to the frame size, it was necessary.

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Pete B wrote:

          > For the FAP rotation, I stuck a thicker piece of scrap nylon carpet to the
          > plate.
          > That and a nylock with spring washer seemed to stop the problem.
          >
          > 'The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any
          > member of a civilised community against his will, is to prevent harm to
          > others. He cannot rightfully be compelled for his own good, or because, in
          > the opinion of others, it would be wise, or even right. These are good
          > reasons for persuading him, but not for compelling him.' : John Stuart Mill
          >

          > On 27 January 2013 14:38, Don Thompson wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > I've had that same issue with the long bolt, FAP moving. I adjust VERY
          > > tight, but it still rotates counter clockwise after a week of riding. It
          > > never loosens, but just moves. Did you fix this problem on yours?

        • thirdraildesignlab
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 1, 2013
            SO, I'm taking the bike into my LBS that helped with some of the final details on this build and the customization, this saturday, so assuming the bike frame hasn't deformed or cracked under the torsional stress, I should be back in action next week. When it comes to my kids I want a professional to review such things. It occurs to me that I never posted the build photos and notes from this project, so I will do so after this is fixed. Overall it's been an awesome bike, with compromises that were not unexpected.