Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Half-cycle

  • Neil Travers
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 25, 2013
      A heavy duty Dutch rack on a normal bike (they are generally much sturdier build)

      On 22 January 2013 22:11, kiltie_celt <matthew-campbell@...> wrote:

      I don't know about DIY links for building one, but it sounds like you're talking about something similar to the Yuba Boda Boda

      http://yubaride.com/bodaboda

      It has some of the same cargo carrying capacity of their Mundo but a bit less weight apparently, and I've read some review that say the deck is a bit too high so it makes loads on the deck feel a bit unstable. You might start there if you're trying to brain storm ideas. I'd mention, from my own experience, even on a full-size longtail like the Xtracycle, carrying adult passengers is tricky. The frame extension is way too flexy to carry a heavy-ish full size adult. And by heavy-ish I mean 200lb, which really isn't all that heavy. One-piece frames like the Big Dummy or the various Xtracycle versions like the Radish or Edgerunner or similar offerings from either Trek, Yuba, or Salsa might be more rigid and thus support adults better.

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "diy141" wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Anybody have links or references to building your own Half Xtracycle.
      > An xtracycle on a regular bike, with no wheel extension? Still strong enough to support a person sitting in the back, but less of a footprint.
      > Saw some pictures somewhere of one... Thanks!

    • jtrops
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 26, 2013
        I may not understand exactly what you are trying to do, so forgive me if this is off base. There may be a reason the project you saw os difficult to find. Your description reminds me of the Trek/Fisher which got some mixed reviews due to the amount of rack extending past the rear wheel. Once loaded it makes the front end very light and the whole bike becomes skittish. Add to that the whippy frame flex and it doesn't sound so good. I haven't ridden one, but I have looked at them. I could see what people were talking about.

        The boda has a high rack (allows for an under deck battery+fender clearance); however, the frame is remarkably stiff. The deck is also quite a bit shorter than the one on my Dummy. My wife regularly carries our two kids with panniers full and it's not squirly.

        If I was going to build up a standard frame to carry big loads I would start with an old school MTB that has really long stays(by current standards), and keep the cargo over or ahead of the rear axle if possible.

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "diy141" wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Anybody have links or references to building your own Half Xtracycle.
        > An xtracycle on a regular bike, with no wheel extension? Still strong enough to support a person sitting in the back, but less of a footprint.
        > Saw some pictures somewhere of one... Thanks!

      • Di Y
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 30, 2013
          Interesting info...
          Looking for simple diy instructions.
          Seems like for a carrying rear rack, just need to find a way to attach a rear rack to the seat post AND to the axle, like the Flying Pigeon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Pigeon
          Bike forum says it's the rack that needs to be strong.
          Looks like they carry a lot of loads in Vietnam, that battery must be pretty heavy to power the fryer.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/hecookssheeats/1843934949/