RE: [rootsradicals] Re: Big ol' tires! ... and the fenders that cover them.

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 5, 2013
      David,
      No offense, but I strongly disagree with your opinion about big tires
      getting you more load capacity. I say this from my personal experience in
      primarily riding with 1.5” tires. I have carried SO much stuff. Many
      people on this list have already seen some of the photos of my loads, so
      I will not bother posting links to them this time around. In the past I
      always bought 26” x 1.5” Avocet Kevlar lined tires with the inverted
      zig-zag tread, and I would go months with out a flat. As an extra
      precaution, I would also squirt in Slime just in case. That was back when
      I was working as a bike messenger in NYC. The rubber was a stiffer/harder
      type in those avocet tires, so they lasted much longer. Of course, I
      mainly only ride on pavement with occasional packed dirt trails.
      Unfortunately for me in the last several years Avocet stopped making
      these tires from what I understand. If I had to guess, the tires lasted
      so long they did not make enough money off them. I was really bummed when
      I stopped being able to get those tires.
      I do not know if this helps put my own opinion into perspective, but I
      would pump my tires anywhere between 80-110 PSI. At that pressure my
      tires were solid and very responsive. I still felt my ride was
      better/softer than riding on any road bike. For those especially heavy
      loads, I actually much rather preferred a higher inflated tire. I
      disliked feeling the bounce in lower pressure tire when hauling a big
      load.
      I will not at all argue your point about better protection from potholes
      when riding on bigger less-inflated tires. I just avoided pot holes,
      which is sometimes difficult in NYC, but I never had a problem. I did
      frequently fly off sidewalk curbs though, which I would consider harsher
      on a cargo bike than a mild pot hole. I would not bunny hop off sidewalks
      or anything, and I would usually only fly off them when unloaded.
      Unloaded for me though is still riding with about thirty pounds on top of
      the bike itself.
      I am not sure what you mean by longer intervals between tire inflation.
      Maybe I never had a larger tire on my bike long enough to notice a
      difference in re-inflation periods. I think I tended to
      inflate/re-inlfate my tires mainly when I had flats. Truthfully, many
      times when I finally got around to patching or replacing my inner tubes,
      sometimes I would find two or three puncture points. I am almost positive
      I must have been getting flats over stretches of time, but the Slime I
      put in clogged them up enough so I would only have to inflate my tires up
      once every week or every other week. When I did not get flats I would
      never have to re-inflate my tires to pump them up to a higher desired PSI
      unless for some disturbing reason my bike was not ridden for a long
      stretch of time. Of course back then that would have been NEVER as my
      bike was my primary mode of transportation as well as my profession.

      Ride safe,
      _TONE_
    • dr2chase@mac.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 5, 2013
        On 2013-01-05, at 2:21 PM, Tone <tone@...> wrote:

        > David,
        > No offense, but I strongly disagree with your opinion about big tires
        > getting you more load capacity. I say this from my personal experience in
        > primarily riding with 1.5” tires.

        No offense taken -- I'm just working from the Schwalbe site; they include load ratings for different sizes of Big Apple, and the fatter the tire, the higher the rating. Here's where I got my info: http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/big_apple

        There's apparently a tradeoff between wheel strength and tire strength; my understanding is that smaller (spoked) wheels are stronger than larger ones, but larger tires appear to be stronger (carry larger loads) than smaller ones.

        Back when I ran 700c, I did bottom out a 32mm (1.25") tire to the point that I rumpled the rim. Fortunately, disk brakes, and I could fix it with vise-grips, but not a really great thing to have happen.

        > I am not sure what you mean by longer intervals between tire inflation.

        Many weeks, maybe months. I suspect that Slime would also work better in the larger, lower-pressure tires, just because of the lower pressure pushing goop through holes..