Re: [rootsradicals] Big ol' tires! ... and the fenders that cover them.

  • Sean
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 4, 2013
      They ride so much nicer and handle better in my opinion with a fatter tire. I have found the sweet spot to be the 2.35. I have planet bike fenders with no clearance issues. There is some good archived threads about tires as well.

      Sean

      Sent from my iPad

      On Jan 3, 2013, at 9:27 PM, "kiltie_celt" <matthew-campbell@...> wrote:

      So, one of the last things to do on my build is get some fenders on the ride. Right now I have some Kenda 26x1.95 but I'd like to have the ability to run slightly larger tires, say 26x2.35 or so. I don't know exactly how big of a tire I could squeeze onto my frame without worrying about chain rub issues (back tire), or front fork/V-brake clearance. A couple sets of fenders I'm looking at are SKS B60 which will take up to 2.1 size or SKS P55 which can take up to 2.3 size. Do you think there's really that much difference in terms of weight carrying capacity or whatever - any major reason why you'd choose 2.3 over 2.1 size tires? For the record, I can buy the B60s for about $30, and the P55s for $46, so only a $15 difference. I'm kinda leaning towards the P55s just so I know if I end up going up to 2.3 I'll have the room for them. Suggestions?

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 5, 2013
        David,
        No offense, but I strongly disagree with your opinion about big tires
        getting you more load capacity. I say this from my personal experience in
        primarily riding with 1.5” tires. I have carried SO much stuff. Many
        people on this list have already seen some of the photos of my loads, so
        I will not bother posting links to them this time around. In the past I
        always bought 26” x 1.5” Avocet Kevlar lined tires with the inverted
        zig-zag tread, and I would go months with out a flat. As an extra
        precaution, I would also squirt in Slime just in case. That was back when
        I was working as a bike messenger in NYC. The rubber was a stiffer/harder
        type in those avocet tires, so they lasted much longer. Of course, I
        mainly only ride on pavement with occasional packed dirt trails.
        Unfortunately for me in the last several years Avocet stopped making
        these tires from what I understand. If I had to guess, the tires lasted
        so long they did not make enough money off them. I was really bummed when
        I stopped being able to get those tires.
        I do not know if this helps put my own opinion into perspective, but I
        would pump my tires anywhere between 80-110 PSI. At that pressure my
        tires were solid and very responsive. I still felt my ride was
        better/softer than riding on any road bike. For those especially heavy
        loads, I actually much rather preferred a higher inflated tire. I
        disliked feeling the bounce in lower pressure tire when hauling a big
        load.
        I will not at all argue your point about better protection from potholes
        when riding on bigger less-inflated tires. I just avoided pot holes,
        which is sometimes difficult in NYC, but I never had a problem. I did
        frequently fly off sidewalk curbs though, which I would consider harsher
        on a cargo bike than a mild pot hole. I would not bunny hop off sidewalks
        or anything, and I would usually only fly off them when unloaded.
        Unloaded for me though is still riding with about thirty pounds on top of
        the bike itself.
        I am not sure what you mean by longer intervals between tire inflation.
        Maybe I never had a larger tire on my bike long enough to notice a
        difference in re-inflation periods. I think I tended to
        inflate/re-inlfate my tires mainly when I had flats. Truthfully, many
        times when I finally got around to patching or replacing my inner tubes,
        sometimes I would find two or three puncture points. I am almost positive
        I must have been getting flats over stretches of time, but the Slime I
        put in clogged them up enough so I would only have to inflate my tires up
        once every week or every other week. When I did not get flats I would
        never have to re-inflate my tires to pump them up to a higher desired PSI
        unless for some disturbing reason my bike was not ridden for a long
        stretch of time. Of course back then that would have been NEVER as my
        bike was my primary mode of transportation as well as my profession.

        Ride safe,
        _TONE_
      • dr2chase@mac.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 5, 2013
          On 2013-01-05, at 2:21 PM, Tone <tone@...> wrote:

          > David,
          > No offense, but I strongly disagree with your opinion about big tires
          > getting you more load capacity. I say this from my personal experience in
          > primarily riding with 1.5” tires.

          No offense taken -- I'm just working from the Schwalbe site; they include load ratings for different sizes of Big Apple, and the fatter the tire, the higher the rating. Here's where I got my info: http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/big_apple

          There's apparently a tradeoff between wheel strength and tire strength; my understanding is that smaller (spoked) wheels are stronger than larger ones, but larger tires appear to be stronger (carry larger loads) than smaller ones.

          Back when I ran 700c, I did bottom out a 32mm (1.25") tire to the point that I rumpled the rim. Fortunately, disk brakes, and I could fix it with vise-grips, but not a really great thing to have happen.

          > I am not sure what you mean by longer intervals between tire inflation.

          Many weeks, maybe months. I suspect that Slime would also work better in the larger, lower-pressure tires, just because of the lower pressure pushing goop through holes..