Alternative snap decks

  • kiltie_celt
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 24, 2012
      Seems like my posts are all about the alternatives these days. Anyway, I purchased a piece of 3/8" Baltic Birch plywood which I used to make a snap deck along with a couple running boards. Total cost for the plywood was I think about $17 or something for a 2'x4' piece. I stained my boards and was in the process of applying the finish when a thought struck me. Why didn't I look into just using plastic lumber - you know, the stuff made out of recycling milk jugs? I turns out you can get the stuff in 3/4" thick by up to 10" or 12" wide, perfect size for making a deck and maybe some running boards and no concern ever about it falling apart due to the elements.

      I know Xtracycle makes one of their decks out of some kind of HDPE material, but I don't know if it's made from the recycled stuff. Anyway, so now I'm surfing around trying to find a way to buy a single piece of this 3/4"x10"(or 12"), so that I can craft a worry-free deck. The thing is, I will probably have to end up buying a whole piece that is something like 12 feet long which will give me WAY more than I'll need for what I'm doing. What is the likelihood that anyone else might be interested in buying some of this stuff off of me to make your own enviro-friendly super long life snap decks/running boards? Just throwing it out there.

      My only real issue is that the 3/4" stuff is really probably thicker than is necessary and certainly way heavier than wood. I'm also toying with the idea of trying to get a thinner material and attaching some slats with stringers underneath to hold it together, thus shaving some of the weight. Of course if I'd only thought of this earlier on before I started stinking up the apartment with all the staining and finishing of the Baltic Birch boards.
    • kiltie_celt
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 24, 2012
        Of course I went and looked and found out that the Xtracycle deck is made from 100% recycled HDPE and comes with the attachment hooks (which I already own). I wonder if worse case scenario, Xtracycle would sell one of those decks minus the clips for a discount?

      • gear.head@verizon.net
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 24, 2012
          If you are looking to do a plastic snap deck there is all kinds of cool materials out there in the industrial world. Try your local plastic material distributor. I live in SoCal, we have Coast plastics (sales@...). The owner is Matt also a bike guy / gear head of sorts. He may have some remnants for a reasonable cost just ask.

          Sean

          From: "kiltie_celt" <kiltie_celt@...>
          Sender: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 19:36:04 +0000
          To: <rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [rootsradicals] Alternative snap decks

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 24, 2012
            I'm in Chicago, and there are certainly no shortage of plastic suppliers around here. If I end up going this way rather than using the wood deck I've already almost finished, I'd rather go with a product made from recycled materials like either the fascia boards or recycled HDPE. There's a place near Chicago that manufactures one of the many decking lumber products made from recycled HDPE, so I can probably call them and at the very least see if I can score some scrap pieces or something.

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 24, 2012
              I am a huge proponent of making good use of manufacturing cast offs and remnants. If you can get some of those in a recycled material even better. Either way you are putting a material to good use that would otherwise go in the trash.

              Let us know what you find out.

              Sean

              From: "kiltie_celt" <kiltie_celt@...>
              Sender: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 20:42:54 +0000
              To: <rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com>
              ReplyTo: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: [rootsradicals] Re: Alternative snap decks

              I'm in Chicago, and there are certainly no shortage of plastic suppliers around here. If I end up going this way rather than using the wood deck I've already almost finished, I'd rather go with a product made from recycled materials like either the fascia boards or recycled HDPE. There's a place near Chicago that manufactures one of the many decking lumber products made from recycled HDPE, so I can probably call them and at the very least see if I can score some scrap pieces or something.

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, gear.head@... wrote:

              > If you are looking to do a plastic snap deck there is all kinds of cool materials out there in the industrial world. Try your local plastic material distributor. I live in SoCal, we have Coast plastics (sales@...). The owner is Matt also a bike guy / gear head of sorts. He may have some remnants for a reasonable cost just ask.
              >
              > Sean

            • David Forbes
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 24, 2012
                On 12/24/12 12:36 PM, kiltie_celt wrote:
                > Seems like my posts are all about the alternatives these days.
                > Anyway, I purchased a piece of 3/8" Baltic Birch plywood which I used to
                > make a snap deck along with a couple running boards. Total cost for the
                > plywood was I think about $17 or something for a 2'x4' piece. I stained
                > my boards and was in the process of applying the finish when a thought
                > struck me. Why didn't I look into just using plastic lumber - you know,
                > the stuff made out of recycling milk jugs? I turns out you can get the s
                > tuff in 3/4" thick by up to 10" or 12" wide, perfect size for making a
                > deck and maybe some running boards and no concern ever about it falling
                > apart due to the elements.

                I have a used flight deck that I replaced with a wooden board. It's in
                excellent condition, and yours for $35 plus shipping if you're
                interested. No mounting clips included.

                --
                David Forbes, Tucson AZ
              • Steve Fuller
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 24, 2012

                  On Dec 24, 2012, at 1:36 PM, kiltie_celt <kiltie_celt@...> wrote:

                  Check with a local home or decking construction company. I bet you can get some scraps from one of their jobs fairly easily. I think the HPDE deck on my BD is at least 1/2" or 3/4" thick so that it doesn't bend when you drill through it to put the hooks in.

                  Steve
                • Brian Livelsberger
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 24, 2012
                    I have a brand new flight deck that I ordered and only ended up using the Super Hooks that came with it. I ended up tracing it onto a piece of 3/4" board and making my own deck because I wanted to mount my Topeak child seat on the back which required lots of sawing to be able to install the base rack/mount onto the deck so that I can pop the seat on and off. It just seemed a shame to cut up a perfectly good Flight Deck for the project. If you're interested, I'd sell it to you for $45 ($70 flight deck minus the $25 super hooks that normally come with it), plus shipping from DC to Chicago. PM me if interested.

                    Brian.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 24, 2012
                      I know a number of people have spoken about various options, and many
                      prefer recycled/reused options, but here is another possibility. When I
                      made a side-extension with a railing to put atop a wide-loader for my dog
                      to be able to hop on and off, I used ½” HDPE cutting board material. I
                      call it the “dog chariot.” Anyway, I ordered the cutting board material
                      from:
                      http://www.cuttingboardcompany.com/custom.asp

                      You can plug in the exact dimensions you want and they will send it to
                      you. They charge by the square inch if I remember correctly. I think the
                      largest size they can offer is 4’x8’, which is way more than enough. They
                      also offer multiple colors (white, tan, yellow, blue, green, and black).
                      All the colors are available in ½” thickness, while ¾” thickness is
                      available in all colors except black. You can even get a 1” thickness,
                      but that is only available in white as a full 4’x8’ sheet.

                      I think I spent something like $30-$50 with shipping to get a 12”x30”
                      black cutting board. I realize it was custom ordered and new rather than
                      salvaged, but I recall the service rep I dealt with saying their HDPE
                      products are all made from 100% recycled materials. Then again, I could
                      be mixing that up with Xtracycle’s eco-deck or whatever. I should mention
                      the rep I interacted with was also thoughtful enough to throw in two
                      small scrap boards of the same material so I would have something to
                      practice my cuts on. All that is necessary is a wood saw of some kind. I
                      used a table saw and circular saw, but a jig-saw or hand-saw would work
                      fine too. I believe I have posted a link to photos of my dog chariot
                      before, but in case anyone is interested:
                      http://www.cranksgiving.net/XtraDogChariot/DogChariot-Close.jpg

                      My dog, Pandora, is super cute in the photo, but she has grown immensely
                      since then to something around sixty pounds. Now I have to be at a full
                      stop and bracing myself when she steps into the chariot, then I kind of
                      ride like I have not had a V-8 juice if there is not a balancing load on
                      the other side of the bike.

                      Ride safe,
                      _TONE_
                    • kiltie_celt
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 26, 2012
                        David,

                        I'd be interested in buying your used Flight Deck. I sent you an email through the messages section on here, but if your email is like mine, it probably ended up in your spam folder. Let me know how much shipping will be to Chicago, zip code 60637.

                        Thanks,
                        Matt

                        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, David Forbes <dforbes@...> wrote:

                        > On 12/24/12 12:36 PM, kiltie_celt wrote:
                        > > Seems like my posts are all about the alternatives these days.
                        > > Anyway, I purchased a piece of 3/8" Baltic Birch plywood which I used to
                        > > make a snap deck along with a couple running boards. Total cost for the
                        > > plywood was I think about $17 or something for a 2'x4' piece. I stained
                        > > my boards and was in the process of applying the finish when a thought
                        > > struck me. Why didn't I look into just using plastic lumber - you know,
                        > > the stuff made out of recycling milk jugs? I turns out you can get the s
                        > > tuff in 3/4" thick by up to 10" or 12" wide, perfect size for making a
                        > > deck and maybe some running boards and no concern ever about it falling
                        > > apart due to the elements.
                        >
                        > I have a used flight deck that I replaced with a wooden board. It's in
                        > excellent condition, and yours for $35 plus shipping if you're
                        > interested. No mounting clips included.
                        >

                        > --
                        > David Forbes, Tucson AZ

                      • David Forbes
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 30, 2012
                          On 12/26/12 5:16 PM, kiltie_celt wrote:
                          > David,
                          >
                          > I'd be interested in buying your used Flight Deck. I sent you an email through the messages section on here, but if your email is like mine, it probably ended up in your spam folder. Let me know how much shipping will be to Chicago, zip code 60637.
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > Matt

                          Matt,

                          Hi. I have been out of town for the last few days. I'll figure out
                          shipping in the next few days, as I'm now sick.

                          --
                          David Forbes, Tucson AZ
                        • kiltie_celt
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 30, 2012
                            David,

                            Sorry, I wanted to get this build finished so I bought Brian's Flight Deck.