Re: Alternative watchamacollars?

  • Lawrence
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 18, 2012
      until you figure out which one you like, try wrapping the tubes with electrical tape -monster performance!
    • gear.head@verizon.net
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 20, 2012
        On ebay there is usually a decent assortment of 2 bolt seat post clamps in that size range. If I remember Odyssey and Primo are the most common. If you cannot find them there I have gotten misc bmx stuff from pork chop bmx

        As for shim material I have used all kinds of stuff. Such as: cut up cans not just beverage, cut up plastic containers like laundry bottles, caps off spray paint cans, copper thin wall tubing, be creative there are a lot of options.

        From: kest918@...
        Sender: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 07:43:16 -0500
        To: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com<rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Alternative watchamacollars?

        I really like this idea. Does anyone have a link to post where these seat post clamps can be found?

        On Dec 19, 2012, at 7:28 PM, "kiltie_celt" <kiltie_celt@...> wrote:

        Looks like this BMX seat collar thing is the way to go. I found some that will work over the insert tubes on the FreeRadical, but I'll need some shims to step them down to the 22.2mm diameter of the P-rack tubing. I couldn't actually find anyone selling BMX seat collars with the two bolts, but instead stumbled across a site selling stuff for unicycles of all things. They had the size of collars that I'll need. I'll get some later in the week and see how it all works sometime later, since it'll all end up shipping well after x-mas I'm sure.

      • kest918@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 20, 2012
          Yes I did a quick google search for 22.2  seat posts. I found a couple different sites that carried them.

          Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 07:43:16 -0500

> [...]

          > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "kiltie_celt" <kiltie_celt@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Has anyone figured out a secure alternative to spending $70 on watchamacollars? An alternative besides drilling a hole and sticking and running a bolt/nut combo through the P/V racks? Drilling a hole seems like it could compromise the strength so I'm looking for something that could clamp around the outside similar to the watchamacollars. Only problem is that Xtracycle chose to use an oddball size of tubing so things like electrical conduit clamps or fittings won't work and there's pretty much no regular pipe fitting that would work for that either. I'm still searching the web for any type of 22.0 mm tubing fittings of any sort, but it's turning into a real pain in the rear.

        • “Dancer”
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 20, 2012
            I've a friend who has older (slightly worn?) V racks in a new ride. (She got hit by a motorcycle blowing a stop sign. Trashed her bike & destroyed the front of the X? But she salvaged the bags, deck & V racks.) She was worried about water getting into the tubes and freezing/busting the tubes. I put a strip of rubber around each connection & used hose clamps to secure it. This protected her from water, eliminated the rattling and seems to strengthen the joint.
            Even if you bought the clamps, this is a less than $10 fix.

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Lawrence" <blacklizard@...> wrote:

            > until you figure out which one you like, try wrapping the tubes with electrical tape -monster performance!

          • kiltie_celt
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 20, 2012
              Be careful with sizing though. I think one of the things that has been taken into account with the design of the whatchamacollars is that where the tube of the P-rack or V-rack meets the FreeRadical, they are two different sizes. In the case of my FreeRadical and P-racks, the P-racks are 22.2mm while the FreeRadical tubes that the P-racks slot into is the 25.4mm diameter. So, to do this I'd need 25.4 collars with shims to take up the extra space where the overlap the 22.2mm P-racks. I'm thinking it would be a good idea to put the collars on, stick an O-ring around the P-rack, then push it down into place with a shim above the O-ring. The O-ring will seal the connection between the tubes to keep water out of the FreeRadical and the shims will obviously take up the extra little bit of slack between 25.4mm and 22.2mmm.