Re: [rootsradicals] Alternative watchamacollars?

  • Steve Fuller
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 18, 2012
      I've n
      On Dec 18, 2012, at 6:01 PM, David Forbes <dforbes@...> wrote:

      On 12/18/12 4:51 PM, kiltie_celt wrote:
      > Has anyone figured out a secure alternative to spending $70 on watchamacollars? An alternative besides drilling a hole and sticking and running a bolt/nut combo through the P/V racks? Drilling a hole seems like it could compromise the strength so I'm looking for something that could clamp around the outside similar to the watchamacollars. Only problem is that Xtracycle chose to use an oddball size of tubing so things like electrical conduit clamps or fittings won't work and there's pretty much no regular pipe fitting that would work for that either. I'm still searching the web for any type of 22.0 mm tubing fittings of any sort, but it's turning into a real pain in the rear.

      I didn't see that it would seriously compromise the strength of the
      tube, so I drilled 1/8" holes and used backpack pins & rings to hold
      mine down. They are holding together well so far (over a year) with 30
      lbs per side and 20 lbs on top.

      --
      David Forbes, Tucson AZ

    • Steve Fuller
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 18, 2012
        I've never had an issue with mine pulling out, even hanging my bike from the ceiling.

        If you are just concerned about water getting in, then some cut sections of innertube over the joint work quite well.

        Steve

        On Dec 18, 2012, at 6:01 PM, David Forbes <dforbes@...> wrote:

        On 12/18/12 4:51 PM, kiltie_celt wrote:
        > Has anyone figured out a secure alternative to spending $70 on watchamacollars? An alternative besides drilling a hole and sticking and running a bolt/nut combo through the P/V racks? Drilling a hole seems like it could compromise the strength so I'm looking for something that could clamp around the outside similar to the watchamacollars. Only problem is that Xtracycle chose to use an oddball size of tubing so things like electrical conduit clamps or fittings won't work and there's pretty much no regular pipe fitting that would work for that either. I'm still searching the web for any type of 22.0 mm tubing fittings of any sort, but it's turning into a real pain in the rear.

        I didn't see that it would seriously compromise the strength of the
        tube, so I drilled 1/8" holes and used backpack pins & rings to hold
        mine down. They are holding together well so far (over a year) with 30
        lbs per side and 20 lbs on top.

        --
        David Forbes, Tucson AZ

      • Lawrence
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 18, 2012
          until you figure out which one you like, try wrapping the tubes with electrical tape -monster performance!
        • Sarah Hunter
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 19, 2012
            I use the whatcha's. I've heard it makes the free-radical have less flex, and I believe it (disclaimer: I'm not a connoisseur).  My understanding is the whatcha's are optional with the original racks (V-racks), but required for the heavy-duty racks (P-racks). However, since you only need one pair it's not quite as bad as $70.

            Sarah H.

            On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 9:16 PM, Steve Fuller <sfuller@...> wrote:

            I've never had an issue with mine pulling out, even hanging my bike from the ceiling.

            If you are just concerned about water getting in, then some cut sections of innertube over the joint work quite well.

            Steve

            On Dec 18, 2012, at 6:01 PM, David Forbes <dforbes@...> wrote:

            On 12/18/12 4:51 PM, kiltie_celt wrote:
            > Has anyone figured out a secure alternative to spending $70 on watchamacollars? An alternative besides drilling a hole and sticking and running a bolt/nut combo through the P/V racks? Drilling a hole seems like it could compromise the strength so I'm looking for something that could clamp around the outside similar to the watchamacollars. Only problem is that Xtracycle chose to use an oddball size of tubing so things like electrical conduit clamps or fittings won't work and there's pretty much no regular pipe fitting that would work for that either. I'm still searching the web for any type of 22.0 mm tubing fittings of any sort, but it's turning into a real pain in the rear.

            I didn't see that it would seriously compromise the strength of the
            tube, so I drilled 1/8" holes and used backpack pins & rings to hold
            mine down. They are holding together well so far (over a year) with 30
            lbs per side and 20 lbs on top.

            --
            David Forbes, Tucson AZ

          • Brian Livelsberger
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 19, 2012

              I have the collars (2 sets, a collar on each post) and I do notice improved stiffness. With all the flex inherent to the aftermarket extension concept, I'm grateful for any little bit I can get! Sure is pricey, though, no doubt. I know of no alternate way to get a similar improvement in stiffness.

              Brian.

              On Dec 19, 2012 9:16 AM, "Sarah Hunter" <hunter.sarahc@...> wrote:

              I use the whatcha's. I've heard it makes the free-radical have less flex, and I believe it (disclaimer: I'm not a connoisseur).  My understanding is the whatcha's are optional with the original racks (V-racks), but required for the heavy-duty racks (P-racks). However, since you only need one pair it's not quite as bad as $70.

              Sarah H.

              On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 9:16 PM, Steve Fuller <sfuller@...> wrote:

              I've never had an issue with mine pulling out, even hanging my bike from the ceiling.

              If you are just concerned about water getting in, then some cut sections of innertube over the joint work quite well.

              Steve

              On Dec 18, 2012, at 6:01 PM, David Forbes <dforbes@...> wrote:

              On 12/18/12 4:51 PM, kiltie_celt wrote:
              > Has anyone figured out a secure alternative to spending $70 on watchamacollars? An alternative besides drilling a hole and sticking and running a bolt/nut combo through the P/V racks? Drilling a hole seems like it could compromise the strength so I'm looking for something that could clamp around the outside similar to the watchamacollars. Only problem is that Xtracycle chose to use an oddball size of tubing so things like electrical conduit clamps or fittings won't work and there's pretty much no regular pipe fitting that would work for that either. I'm still searching the web for any type of 22.0 mm tubing fittings of any sort, but it's turning into a real pain in the rear.

              I didn't see that it would seriously compromise the strength of the
              tube, so I drilled 1/8" holes and used backpack pins & rings to hold
              mine down. They are holding together well so far (over a year) with 30
              lbs per side and 20 lbs on top.

              --
              David Forbes, Tucson AZ

            • jtrops
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 19, 2012
                A sound solution would be to use a BMX double bolt seatpost clamp that is designed for frames with 22.2 seatposts. This is an old school piece and as such not easy to find anymore, but as luck would have it, very cheap when you do. These clamps have an inside diameter of 25.4 (more like 25.6), and can be opened a bit with a screwdriver to fit around the frame tube. After you get the bottom of the double clamp around the frame tube the top will be free to clamp the rack. You will need a 22.2-25.4 shim to secure the rack, but that shim is very easy to find, and since you only need about 15mm's you could probably get all four from one shim if it's a long one, or you may need to get two. I have made shims from hard plastic that worked well for holding seatposts, and would probably be better for this application. If you can find plastic tubing with close to the right inside/outside diameters you could save a chunk of change.

                When it all comes out in the wash you would invest maybe $20 in four clamps, another $10 or $15 in shims, and maybe half an hour of time to get it all together. You still wouldn't have the tubes sealed to prevent water and dirt intrusion, but you would have invested only $40 in parts (add a bit for time).

                Another solution is to drill a hole in the tube, and cut a slot from the hole to the tube opening so that you could use a single bolt BMX seatpost clamp and secure the V-Rack in the same way that we secure our saddles. This would be cheaper yet, and probably as secure. It would take more time, so in the end the real value may not be much different.

                Value. When you consider the amount of work it would take to make something that is as elegant as the Watchamacollars it really sounds like they are fairly priced.

                I happen to have a well stocked parts bin, so I can usually make due with materials on hand rather than having to purchase them. If you are in a similar situation it may well be worth your time to rig up an alternative.

                For what it's worth I have a Big Dummy, and so I can't verify that the tube diameters are the same on an X. I have successfully fit a BMX clamp onto my tubes without fuss.

                Of course there may be other solutions out there. I'm always interested in finding out how people deal with different problems. If you come up with a clever way to solve this one I would love to see how it works.

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "kiltie_celt" <kiltie_celt@...> wrote:

                > Has anyone figured out a secure alternative to spending $70 on watchamacollars? An alternative besides drilling a hole and sticking and running a bolt/nut combo through the P/V racks? Drilling a hole seems like it could compromise the strength so I'm looking for something that could clamp around the outside similar to the watchamacollars. Only problem is that Xtracycle chose to use an oddball size of tubing so things like electrical conduit clamps or fittings won't work and there's pretty much no regular pipe fitting that would work for that either. I'm still searching the web for any type of 22.0 mm tubing fittings of any sort, but it's turning into a real pain in the rear.

              • Mark Goldblum
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 19, 2012
                  I find that my freeloaders, which attach to the frame and rack, hold everything together very well. However, when using the P-Rack and panniers, another solution is necessary as there is a lot of rattle, and the possibility of the rack coming out of the frame when hitting a big bump. I used a strap to go from the rack to the freeloader attachment points on my frame. (or on the free radical for those who have one) This replaced the freeloader as a way of keeping the rack and frame together.
                • kiltie_celt
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 19, 2012
                    Looks like this BMX seat collar thing is the way to go. I found some that will work over the insert tubes on the FreeRadical, but I'll need some shims to step them down to the 22.2mm diameter of the P-rack tubing. I couldn't actually find anyone selling BMX seat collars with the two bolts, but instead stumbled across a site selling stuff for unicycles of all things. They had the size of collars that I'll need. I'll get some later in the week and see how it all works sometime later, since it'll all end up shipping well after x-mas I'm sure.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 19, 2012

                      On Dec 19, 2012, at 6:28 PM, kiltie_celt <kiltie_celt@...> wrote:

                      Looks like this BMX seat collar thing is the way to go. I found some that will work over the insert tubes on the FreeRadical, but I'll need some shims to step them down to the 22.2mm diameter of the P-rack tubing. I couldn't actually find anyone selling BMX seat collars with the two bolts, but instead stumbled across a site selling stuff for unicycles of all things. They had the size of collars that I'll need. I'll get some later in the week and see how it all works sometime later, since it'll all end up shipping well after x-mas I'm sure.

                      I've used scissors to cut strips out of a pop can for use as shims. You can stack them fairly easily to build up whatever thickness you need (within reason)

                      Steve
                    • kest918@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 20, 2012
                        I really like this idea. Does anyone have a link to post where these seat post clamps can be found?

                      • gear.head@verizon.net
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 20, 2012
                          On ebay there is usually a decent assortment of 2 bolt seat post clamps in that size range. If I remember Odyssey and Primo are the most common. If you cannot find them there I have gotten misc bmx stuff from pork chop bmx

                          As for shim material I have used all kinds of stuff. Such as: cut up cans not just beverage, cut up plastic containers like laundry bottles, caps off spray paint cans, copper thin wall tubing, be creative there are a lot of options.

                          From: kest918@...
                          Sender: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
                          Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 07:43:16 -0500
                          To: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com<rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com>
                          ReplyTo: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
                          Subject: Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Alternative watchamacollars?

                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 20, 2012
                            Yes I did a quick google search for 22.2  seat posts. I found a couple different sites that carried them.

                            Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 07:43:16 -0500

> [...]

                            > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "kiltie_celt" <kiltie_celt@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Has anyone figured out a secure alternative to spending $70 on watchamacollars? An alternative besides drilling a hole and sticking and running a bolt/nut combo through the P/V racks? Drilling a hole seems like it could compromise the strength so I'm looking for something that could clamp around the outside similar to the watchamacollars. Only problem is that Xtracycle chose to use an oddball size of tubing so things like electrical conduit clamps or fittings won't work and there's pretty much no regular pipe fitting that would work for that either. I'm still searching the web for any type of 22.0 mm tubing fittings of any sort, but it's turning into a real pain in the rear.

                          • “Dancer”
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 20, 2012
                              I've a friend who has older (slightly worn?) V racks in a new ride. (She got hit by a motorcycle blowing a stop sign. Trashed her bike & destroyed the front of the X? But she salvaged the bags, deck & V racks.) She was worried about water getting into the tubes and freezing/busting the tubes. I put a strip of rubber around each connection & used hose clamps to secure it. This protected her from water, eliminated the rattling and seems to strengthen the joint.
                              Even if you bought the clamps, this is a less than $10 fix.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 20, 2012
                                Be careful with sizing though. I think one of the things that has been taken into account with the design of the whatchamacollars is that where the tube of the P-rack or V-rack meets the FreeRadical, they are two different sizes. In the case of my FreeRadical and P-racks, the P-racks are 22.2mm while the FreeRadical tubes that the P-racks slot into is the 25.4mm diameter. So, to do this I'd need 25.4 collars with shims to take up the extra space where the overlap the 22.2mm P-racks. I'm thinking it would be a good idea to put the collars on, stick an O-ring around the P-rack, then push it down into place with a shim above the O-ring. The O-ring will seal the connection between the tubes to keep water out of the FreeRadical and the shims will obviously take up the extra little bit of slack between 25.4mm and 22.2mmm.