Xtracycle Sidecar

  • Robert Tilley
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 16, 2012
      Got my Christmas present a bit early so I installed the sidecar this weekend & was able to get one ride on it. Installation was simple. The thing is heavy & I could definitely feel the added weight. Not sure yet if I'll keep it on all of the time or if I'll just slap it on when I need it.

      I thought the use of quill stems was pretty unique & they seemed to do the job well. Once I loaded up the sidecar with 4 cases of soda & took off I was surprised how poorly the bike handled. It was tough keeping the bike going in a straight line. I'm thinking that I have the clamps tightened a bit too much & the sidecar isn't pivoting as easily as it should. I'll play around with it & see if it helps to loosen the bolts a bit.

      The axle has some play in it which allows the wheel to move around a bit. This is how it is supposed to be but it does make it rather noisy both when folded up as well as when the sidecar is deployed. I may remove the wheel when not using it so it doesn't rattle. The platform surface is pretty slick so I may put some deck material on there at some point to keep cargo from sliding around. The sidecar does stick out into the lane which only bothered me in left hand turn lanes. I was worried drivers wouldn't see it & would run it over. Wonder if a flag would be a good idea on it?

      All in all it is a pretty cool addition the Dummy & I'm looking forward to getting lots of use out of it. Had a lot of people doing double-takes when I rode by with it. I put some pics of it in the album at the link below. Sidecar pics are all the way at the bottom.

      Robert Tilley
      San Diego, CA
    • katsujinkenliu
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 16, 2012
        Thanks for sharing Robert! Can you say whether you got the sidecar directly from xtracycle, or do you have a local dealer you like? Also, what part of San Diego are you in? I live in RB. Thanks much.

        -Kev

      • rltilley@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 16, 2012
          I ordered directly from Xtracycle. We're close then as I'm in Rancho Penasquitos.

          Robert Tilley
          San Diego, CA

          Thanks for sharing Robert! Can you say whether you got the sidecar directly from xtracycle, or do you have a local dealer you like? Also, what part of San Diego are you in? I live in RB. Thanks much.

          -Kev

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Robert Tilley <rltilley@...> wrote:

          > Got my Christmas present a bit early so I installed the sidecar this
          > weekend & was able to get one ride on it. Installation was simple. The
          > thing is heavy & I could definitely feel the added weight. Not sure yet if
          > I'll keep it on all of the time or if I'll just slap it on when I need it.
          >
          > I thought the use of quill stems was pretty unique & they seemed to do the
          > job well. Once I loaded up the sidecar with 4 cases of soda & took off I
          > was surprised how poorly the bike handled. It was tough keeping the bike
          > going in a straight line. I'm thinking that I have the clamps tightened a
          > bit too much & the sidecar isn't pivoting as easily as it should. I'll play
          > around with it & see if it helps to loosen the bolts a bit.
          >
          > The axle has some play in it which allows the wheel to move around a bit.
          > This is how it is supposed to be but it does make it rather noisy both when
          > folded up as well as when the sidecar is deployed. I may remove the wheel
          > when not using it so it doesn't rattle. The platform surface is pretty
          > slick so I may put some deck material on there at some point to keep cargo
          > from sliding around. The sidecar does stick out into the lane which only
          > bothered me in left hand turn lanes. I was worried drivers wouldn't see it
          > & would run it over. Wonder if a flag would be a good idea on it?
          >
          > All in all it is a pretty cool addition the Dummy & I'm looking forward to
          > getting lots of use out of it. Had a lot of people doing double-takes when
          > I rode by with it. I put some pics of it in the album at the link below.
          > Sidecar pics are all the way at the bottom.
          >
          > http://roberttilley.smugmug.com/Bicycles/Surly-Big-Dummy/16185229_DFKXRK#!i=1445560082&k=6w6VK7k
          >
          > Robert Tilley
          > San Diego, CA

        • katsujinkenliu
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 17, 2012
            Cool. We'll have to compare notes. Would love to see that sidecar on your BD, and I'll be test riding the EdgeRunner next week.

            -Kev

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, rltilley@... wrote:

            > I ordered directly from Xtracycle. We're close then as I'm in Rancho Penasquitos.
            >
            > Robert Tilley
            > San Diego, CA

          • Neil Schneider
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 17, 2012
              I would look for some non-skid at home repair store. It's often adhesive
              backed and like sand paper on the other side. Should work well for keeping
              things from sliding on the deck.

            • kest918@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 17, 2012
                Could use skateboard grip tape also.

                Robert Tilley wrote:
                > Got my Christmas present a bit early so I installed the sidecar this
                > weekend & was able to get one ride on it. Installation was simple. The
                > thing is heavy & I could definitely feel the added weight. Not sure yet if
                > I'll keep it on all of the time or if I'll just slap it on when I need it.
                >
                > I thought the use of quill stems was pretty unique & they seemed to do the
                > job well. Once I loaded up the sidecar with 4 cases of soda & took off I
                > was surprised how poorly the bike handled. It was tough keeping the bike
                > going in a straight line. I'm thinking that I have the clamps tightened a
                > bit too much & the sidecar isn't pivoting as easily as it should. I'll play
                > around with it & see if it helps to loosen the bolts a bit.
                >
                > The axle has some play in it which allows the wheel to move around a bit.
                > This is how it is supposed to be but it does make it rather noisy both when
                > folded up as well as when the sidecar is deployed. I may remove the wheel
                > when not using it so it doesn't rattle. The platform surface is pretty
                > slick so I may put some deck material on there at some point to keep cargo
                > from sliding around. The sidecar does stick out into the lane which only
                > bothered me in left hand turn lanes. I was worried drivers wouldn't see it
                > & would run it over. Wonder if a flag would be a good idea on it?
                >
                > All in all it is a pretty cool addition the Dummy & I'm looking forward to
                > getting lots of use out of it. Had a lot of people doing double-takes when
                > I rode by with it. I put some pics of it in the album at the link below.
                > Sidecar pics are all the way at the bottom.
                >
                > http://roberttilley.smugmug.com/Bicycles/Surly-Big-Dummy/16185229_DFKXRK#!i=1445560082&k=6w6VK7k
                >
                > Robert Tilley
                > San Diego, CA

              • Jj Velvetackbar
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 17, 2012
                  DEF go for the skateboard tape. way different than the stair tread tape. I use skateboard tape on my pedals to great effect.

                  Robert Tilley wrote:
                  > Got my Christmas present a bit early so I installed the sidecar this
                  > weekend & was able to get one ride on it. Installation was simple. The
                  > thing is heavy & I could definitely feel the added weight. Not sure yet if
                  > I'll keep it on all of the time or if I'll just slap it on when I need it.
                  >
                  > I thought the use of quill stems was pretty unique & they seemed to do the
                  > job well. Once I loaded up the sidecar with 4 cases of soda & took off I
                  > was surprised how poorly the bike handled. It was tough keeping the bike
                  > going in a straight line. I'm thinking that I have the clamps tightened a
                  > bit too much & the sidecar isn't pivoting as easily as it should. I'll play
                  > around with it & see if it helps to loosen the bolts a bit.
                  >
                  > The axle has some play in it which allows the wheel to move around a bit.
                  > This is how it is supposed to be but it does make it rather noisy both when
                  > folded up as well as when the sidecar is deployed. I may remove the wheel
                  > when not using it so it doesn't rattle. The platform surface is pretty
                  > slick so I may put some deck material on there at some point to keep cargo
                  > from sliding around. The sidecar does stick out into the lane which only
                  > bothered me in left hand turn lanes. I was worried drivers wouldn't see it
                  > & would run it over. Wonder if a flag would be a good idea on it?
                  >
                  > All in all it is a pretty cool addition the Dummy & I'm looking forward to
                  > getting lots of use out of it. Had a lot of people doing double-takes when
                  > I rode by with it. I put some pics of it in the album at the link below.
                  > Sidecar pics are all the way at the bottom.
                  >
                  > http://roberttilley.smugmug.com/Bicycles/Surly-Big-Dummy/16185229_DFKXRK#!i=1445560082&k=6w6VK7k
                  >
                  > Robert Tilley
                  > San Diego, CA

                • soappedaler
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 18, 2012
                    I've used my sidecar 3 times now. First time I had the tightness or looseness of the hinge thing just right, until I visited the bike shop to show it off, the mechanic  put some tight grip on the screws then tightened them too much, as soon as I left the Dummy started handling squirrely. I stopped and loosened the screws and all was fine. Second time
                    I had a giant Tupperware container on and it was too high and impeded turning to the left. Last time I used it all was wonderful. Had a lot of weight on the sidecar but it wasn't too high, had very little weight on the other side of the dummy and had no problems. I have some extracycle belt straps and they work better at securing loads against slide than bungees.