Re: [rootsradicals] Carrying a ladder

  • dr2chase@mac.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 12, 2012
      On 2012-12-12, at 9:27 PM, Mike <kest918@...> wrote:

      > http://www.lowes.com/pd_78463-287-MT-22_0__?productId=1101083&Ntt=werner+folding+22%27+ladder&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNtt%3Dwerner%2Bfolding%2B22%2527%2Bladder&facetInfo=
      >
      > Here's a pic and description, sorry for commercial link. I should have said I was more worried about the unbalanced load than the length as it folds up relatively small for a ladder. Thank you all for your replies.

      47 lbs should not be a problem if you have a wideloader. If you're worried about balance, get 4 gallon jugs, fill them with water, ride over 2+2, ride home 4+ladder.

      Hard to say whether you should use a longloader or not with this; the longloader kicks it out to the side, which gives it more moment-arm down, but sticking 2-3 feet of ladder out the back is also bad for handling.

      If you lack a longloader, just get a lightweight lump of something (empty 5 gallon bucket) to use as a standoff, and cinch it down tight.

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 15, 2012
        Mike,

        I have almost the same exact style ladder. My ladder’s brand name might
        be different, but it definitely looks pretty identical. Personally I
        would probably just try riding with it as an unbalanced load all on one
        side. As I said before, I do carry a 3’ chain as a lock and a messenger
        bag of gear, so I would at least offset the weight a little on the other
        side. The unbalanced load might result in me leaning slightly to one side
        to compensate for the bike’s desire to drift or lean in the direction of
        the weight, but I believe it is manageable.

        Several years ago I picked up an artificial Xmas tree from a manufacturer
        in New Jersey. The box with the three or so dismantled sections was
        almost the size of a gun safe. It weighed about eighty pounds! I did
        manage to tie it off on one side. Fortunately, I also had to buy their 30
        pound base for the tree, so that along with my chain and gear bag helped
        compensate for the imbalance. Admittedly, it was a slow ride back to
        Brooklyn. Instead of taking the PATH train, which would involves lots of
        steps, escalators, and/or tight spaced elevators we decided to take a
        ferry across the Hudson River to Manhattan. It was about two or three
        times the cost, but not having to deal with unloading the box and messing
        with stairs was a life saver. The scenery and fresh air of the bay also
        made it so much more pleasant. After land fall my biggest obstacle
        getting home was going up the arch of one of the East River bridges.

        Back to the topic of your specific ladder load, I do think you have
        another totally reasonable option, which avoids most of the imbalance
        issues. If your ladder is truly like mine, then you can separate the two
        “A” frame sections from each other. According to the Lowes description
        that would be the two “scaffold bases”, as if you intended to rest a
        plank of wood across the two. With those two segments separated and kept
        shut (not folded open like an “A”) you should not have much problem
        putting one on each side. Just make sure to strap it all in good. I would
        imagine having long loaders would help, but I do not think it would be
        absolutely necessary.

        Ride safe,
        _TONE_
      • kest918@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 15, 2012
          Thanks, Tone as usual your replies are well thought out and articulated. Mine does not separate but would make life a lot easier if it did. I've strapped this thing on and rolled around the parking lot with it but was hesitant to enter the roadway without a little more experience with it strapped on. Now the second part of my problem is that was some months ago and I've since sold my Big Dummy and am in the process of building an xtracycle. Backwards I know but I needed the cash. So now I have a little more oscillation to deal with.
           Presently I am in the planning stages of the build. I have an early 90's trek 950 to use as my donor bike and my old Free Rad frame from before the BD. I'm kicking around some ideas to build a "contractor's van" to use for my handyman side work. I don't have vracks or freeloaders and I don't know that I will purchase any just yet. I do have the wideloaders and a homemade long loader. Since most of what I carry is painting and drywall tools I can put those inside milk crates on the other side of the ladder. I'm working out a way to attach a tool box using the h rack ports. This will enable me to store any bungees and locks etc. the things I normally kept in the pockets of my freeloaders. It will also give me a way to utilize the long loader.
           It's a work in progress but I'm having fun with the challenge. Again, thank you all for the replies! Mike

[...]

        • rlwieneke
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 15, 2012
            I was considering building a sidecar wheel for my folding wideloader. It would take the weight from that side out of your balancing with the ladder and the wideloader would not scrape the ground.