  • kiltie_celt
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
      Wow! That sounds like an amazing ride! Now my wife wants to try that continental divide ride. I told her to start riding the trainer this winter to get in shape.

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Mark Goldblum <rippledub@...> wrote:

      > I just returned to my home in New Mexico after 9 months touring on my Big
      > Dummy. I traveled about 10,000 miles, of which 7000 miles I was riding the
      > bike. My trip Started in the end of January in San Diego, took me south
      > through Baja Peninsula to La Paz, over to the mainland Mexico and south to
      > Guadalajara. In May I started from Douglas Arizona and followed the
      > continental divide north through New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming,
      > Montana, and Idaho into BC Canada. After Canada I went West to the San Juan
      > Islands, around the Olympic Peninsula, and then down the coast to San
      > Francisco.
      > My biggest days were two consecutive 100 mile days in Colorado which
      > included going over Wolfcreek Pass which topped out at 10,856 feet (3,309
      > m). On my journey I climbed many many mountain passes along the way. On an
      > average day, with all my gear, 2 gallons of water, and a few days worth of
      > food, my bike was weighing in around 125 lbs. Heading north over Dallas
      > divide near Telluride Colorado I hit my top speed of 57 mph on the downhill
      > side. Long wheel base = super stable ride! YES, Xtracycle equiped long
      > bikes are WELL SUITED for distance traveling!

    • kiltie_celt
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
        I'm hearing some really great stories here. It's great to hear all these stories of adventures with longtail bikes beyond the average grocery. Also that video of longtails on singletrack was awesome!