Re: [rootsradicals] Re: What's your longest one day ride or longest trip overall?

  • Devian Gilbert
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2012
      The BD is totally touring capable.  I've done multiple +60 mile days over and over.

      Sent from my iPad

      On Dec 1, 2012, at 8:48 PM, kiltie_celt <kiltie_celt@...> wrote:

      Thanks for the video link! I always love watching videos that folks do of their cycle tours. I went ahead and subscribed to your channel so I can go back later and watch all those videos.

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Devian Gilbert <asanacycles@...> wrote:

      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M14zbm6TevU&list=UUI42QPcQgXeN7TZrvPOGmCw&index=22&feature=plcp
      > On Dec 1, 2012, at 6:06 PM, kiltie_celt wrote:
      >
      > > Title says it all. Has anyone ridden their Xtracycle on a Century, or taken a multi-day cycle tour with one?

    • Augustus Fleming
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
        I rode 83 miles in one day. It was part of a long weekend. I rode 15 miles to a campground with around 60 pounds of gear. I hiked the next day. On the third day I rode in a local fundraiser, Tour de Farm. The route was 35 miles and I rode 24miles each to get there, and back, from the campground. Earlier in the summer I did a campground that is 30 miles away, but only hauled around 45 pounds. I rode my X in the Centurian event. I did the 25 mile loop. I had one other campground trip this past summer, however, that one involved a blown rim. But, that is a story for another day.

        Sent from my iPad
      • Sam Knight
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
          Not sure if he's still here on the list, but in 2010, Jon Watts posted up about a (musical) tour he was doing up the east coast with guitar, amp and gear all on a Radish.  He ended up riding over 1,000 miles from gig to gig with something like 120lbs of gear.  He has a whole chunk of his website about the tour with a lot of blogging along the way.  http://www.jonwatts.com/tag/the-2010-two-wheel-tour/

          On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 9:06 PM, kiltie_celt <kiltie_celt@...> wrote:

          Title says it all. Has anyone ridden their Xtracycle on a Century, or taken a multi-day cycle tour with one?

        • Brian Livelsberger
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXX4OYsyJio

            On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Sam Knight <knightscape@...> wrote:

            Not sure if he's still here on the list, but in 2010, Jon Watts posted up about a (musical) tour he was doing up the east coast with guitar, amp and gear all on a Radish.  He ended up riding over 1,000 miles from gig to gig with something like 120lbs of gear.  He has a whole chunk of his website about the tour with a lot of blogging along the way.  http://www.jonwatts.com/tag/the-2010-two-wheel-tour/

            On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 9:06 PM, kiltie_celt <kiltie_celt@...> wrote:

            Title says it all. Has anyone ridden their Xtracycle on a Century, or taken a multi-day cycle tour with one?

          • Mark Goldblum
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
              I just returned to my home in New Mexico after 9 months touring on my Big Dummy. I traveled about 10,000 miles, of which 7000 miles I was riding the bike. My trip Started in the end of January in San Diego, took me  south through Baja Peninsula to La Paz, over to the mainland Mexico and south to Guadalajara. In May I started from Douglas Arizona and followed the continental divide north through New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho into BC Canada. After Canada I went West to the San Juan Islands, around the Olympic Peninsula, and then down the coast to San Francisco.
              My biggest days were two consecutive 100 mile days in Colorado which included going over Wolfcreek Pass which topped out at 10,856 feet (3,309 m). On my journey I climbed many many mountain passes along the way. On an average day, with all my gear, 2 gallons of water, and a few days worth of food, my bike was weighing in around 125 lbs. Heading north over Dallas divide near Telluride Colorado I hit my top speed of 57 mph on the downhill side. Long wheel base = super stable ride! YES, Xtracycle equiped long bikes are WELL SUITED for distance traveling!
            • rkt88edmo
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012

                I did a full century. I was not in very good shape. Started early and finished late but didnt get pulled off the course. Ride was my big dummy fully dressed (not lightened up for the ride). Suffered but completed it.

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
                  If by “century” you mean a general 100 miles, rather than an organized
                  100 mile ride for a charity/group ride, then yes I have ridden a century
                  a couple of times on my Big Dummy. Actually, it was more like 114 miles
                  and both times I did it in one day.
                  After I moved to York, PA I found out an artist of the only comic book I
                  ever collected was going to be attending a comic convention in Baltimore
                  Maryland, and I had never seen him in person. Before I moved to the area,
                  I knew about a rail trail from York, PA running down into Maryland, so I
                  naturally intended on riding it at some point. Just for a side note, the
                  rail line is the same one used by Abraham Lincoln when he traveled up to
                  give the Gettysburg Address. The rail line was also a significant route
                  of the Underground Railroad, and the first town along its path north of
                  the Mason-Dixon Line is appropriately called New Freedom, PA.
                  Anyway, the very next day after I picked up my Big Dummy (before this I
                  had an Xtracycled Univega, which broke), I biked down to Baltimore as a
                  reconnaissance ride to figure out the precise route and see exactly how
                  long it would take to bike down there for my later trip to the actual
                  comic book convention. The trip down is 57 miles one way with it mostly
                  flat on the rail trail, but then there are significant rolling hills in
                  Maryland between the end of the rail trail and Baltimore. Once I arrived
                  outside the convention center and looped around the block to determine
                  the most secure lock up spot, I then simply headed back home on my Big
                  Dummy.
                  For the second trip down to Baltimore on the day of the convention, I had
                  to leave way early in the morning while it was still dark. Since the rail
                  trail is under the authority of the parks department, I had to get
                  advance permission to be on it at night because night time usage of the
                  rail trail is officially not allowed. Since I hung out for a few hours at
                  the convention, I ended up being on the rail trail after the sun set as
                  well, but both times I was lit up like a Xmas tree. I had red strobe
                  lights, handle-bar mounted head lights, a head-mounted light, a 2-tube
                  blue Down-Low-Glow system, and even a couple of different colored glow
                  sticks for good measure.

                  Apart from those two rides I have not toured/bike-camped like I use to
                  before even getting my Xtracycle. Although, I did do a charity century
                  ride on my Xtracycle, but that was 100 kilometers instead of 100 miles.
                  Come to think of it, I biked up to the start of that century and back
                  home, so technically I did actually do more than 100 miles that day.
                  Having a long tail cargo bike on that century ride also made things more
                  amusing. Since I hauled everything I needed on board, I never had to stop
                  at any of the rest stops. Many other riders would pass me, only to pass
                  me again repeatedly between check points.

                  Ride safe,
                  _TONE_
                • Ben Rosenthal
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
                    I've done some centuries (miles) on my Xtracycle, but not loaded with gear. I think these were in 2005 and 2006 on the Hazon New York Jewish Environmental Bike Ride. I expect to be on it when I first ride cross-country (U.S.) one upcoming summer.

                    On 1 Dec 2012, at 18:06, kiltie_celt <kiltie_celt@...> wrote:

                    Title says it all. Has anyone ridden their Xtracycle on a Century, or taken a multi-day cycle tour with one?

                    <*> Your email settings:
                       Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                       (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                       rootsradicals-digest@yahoogroups.com

                       http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Liz W Durham
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
                      No real long rides for me but I just did a couple day camping trip with my boys in back in October. The youngest, age 6, rode 10 miles on his own 16" wheel bike and the remaining 30 miles on the back of mine. I was loaded with all sorts of gear so his first camping trip would be comfortable. So for 30 miles I had gear for 3 people plus my 6 y.o. plus his bike.
                      Was a blast. We will be going again in the Spring.
                      -liz

                      -Liz

                    • kiltie_celt
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
                        Wow! That sounds like an amazing ride! Now my wife wants to try that continental divide ride. I told her to start riding the trainer this winter to get in shape.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
                          I'm hearing some really great stories here. It's great to hear all these stories of adventures with longtail bikes beyond the average grocery. Also that video of longtails on singletrack was awesome!