Re: [rootsradicals] What do you like for semi-slicks?

  • James McGregor
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 24, 2012

      I ride Serfas Drifters on my Xtra and really like them. Flat protection  which is a big plus for me - I'm not looking forward to ever having to change a tube with my daughter in tow. They have a kind of inverse knobbiness, so good on the road but a decent grip in the lose stuff too.

    • Tom Fuller
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 24, 2012
        Bontrager"s H5 26" is a Kevlar tire smoothish in the center with grips on the side

        http://bontrager.com/model/09389

        In absentia lucii, tenebrae vinctum!! In the absence of light, darkness prevails.
      • Sean
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 24, 2012
          If you look in the archives you will find some detailed discussions on tires from time to time. I like to take my dummy everywhere, including bike-packing, running errands around town and some mild mountain biking with real single track. I am currently running a Maxxis Holy Roller 2.4 out front and either a Kenda Nevegal or Small Block 8 out back in a 2.2. The Maxxis has great volume, rolls pretty darn well and can tolerate higher pressures for prolonged street rides or lower pressures for some off road fun. Don't get me wrong, it is not an off road tire, but it does remarkably well all things considered. The Kendas out back are really overkill for all intensive purposes. The Small Block 8 actually rolls pretty nice and will do just fine with varied pressures. The Nevegal is a pig on the street but when you turn on to the dirt it is hard to beat. I usually have about 50% non-paved on my rides so I take the trade off willingly. You really need to be honest with yourself about how much you are going to ride under which conditions. If your off road follies will be few and far between, you may just keep some spare mountain tires in the rafters and only mount them for those adventures.

          On a side note, I would look back in the archives for some sizing direction as well. High volume tires on these bikes work great. However, you really need to pay attention with the combinations you may want to mix. Some high volume tires mixed with narrow Q cranks and triple chain rings will result in your chain dragging the side wall while in granny gear. For instance, I have a Dummy, and for a while I ran the 2.4 Maxxis out back with a standard XT crank, it rubbed the tire in granny gear. That same tire has not been an issue for others running a different crank combo than I have (maybe compact road cranks, different cassette etc.).

          As for the lighting, I would agree with others: if you are going to go non-battery, go all the way and spring for a good hub the first time around. I have been building modifying and swapping out lighting systems for years in my bike. I am finally switching to a dyno hub as we speak. I bought the Shimano, but there are a few out there. If you want to get creative with building your own lighting rigs, look on some of the do it yourself sites. I really like instructables.com they seem to always have some cool new lighting ideas with detailed instructions so you can do it yourself. Which every you choose, be sure to share with us. We love to be inspired! If you like e-mail me direct I can share some pictures of my lighting set up. The folks on the list already checked it out a while back.

          Sean

          On Nov 23, 2012, at 6:17 PM, "kiltie_celt" <kiltie_celt@...> wrote:

          Title says it all. I'd like a tire that can handle some off-road/gravel/hard-pack/maybe some mud, but which will also be fairly low rolling resistance on the the street. Right now I think my Xtracycle will see mostly street duty, but I'd like to have tires on it that will serve for those times that I might ride on the rough stuff. Also, after seeing some blog posts by a guy who uses his Big Dummy to carry equipment out to his research sites, I've been inspired by the idea of maybe using my Xtracycle to get out to do camping, birding, carrying my boat, etc. and again, it'd be nice to have some more aggressive tires. Tires with sidewall dyno strips are a plus too, since I think I'm going to convert over to sidewall dynamos for all of my bikes. Never have to worry about extra batteries again. I was poking around on Bike Tires Direct and saw these:
          http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/kenda-k847-kross-plus-26x195-tire
          They look pretty decent as an all-rounder, and they have a dynamo strip. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

        • David Dannenberg
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 24, 2012
            I use Maxxis Hookwoms. Heavy as lead, but low rolling resistance, smooth, stiff, and strong. Use the on street, gravel, dirt, occasional rock. No problems. Just heavy.

            David Dannenberg
          • Brian Livelsberger
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 24, 2012
              I run Serfas Drifters, which I like a lot (wear well, nice on pavement, decent on dirt), but since then I've seen some Continental Town and Country which seems like it would do just a tad better on dirt (bigger cut-outs). Anyway, Drifters are puncture-resistant, which as someone else mentioned, is a huge plus for me.

              Brian.

              On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 5:56 PM, David Dannenberg <ddannenberg@...> wrote:
              Maxxis Hookwoms

            • kiltie_celt
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 25, 2012
                It seems like the answers here were all over the map, with somewhat of a preference for tires that had lower rolling resistance on pavement but which had some tread blocks or tread design that would allow for extra off-road traction above and beyond a typical road slick. So, with that in mind I went with my original thought and bought the Kenda I linked to in my initial post. It would be nice if they'd been puncture resistant, but I guess if I start having issues with flats, I can always just slip in some tire liners to make do.

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "kiltie_celt" <kiltie_celt@...> wrote:

                > Title says it all. I'd like a tire that can handle some off-road/gravel/hard-pack/maybe some mud, but which will also be fairly low rolling resistance on the the street. Right now I think my Xtracycle will see mostly street duty, but I'd like to have tires on it that will serve for those times that I might ride on the rough stuff. Also, after seeing some blog posts by a guy who uses his Big Dummy to carry equipment out to his research sites, I've been inspired by the idea of maybe using my Xtracycle to get out to do camping, birding, carrying my boat, etc. and again, it'd be nice to have some more aggressive tires. Tires with sidewall dyno strips are a plus too, since I think I'm going to convert over to sidewall dynamos for all of my bikes. Never have to worry about extra batteries again. I was poking around on Bike Tires Direct and saw these:
                > http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/kenda-k847-kross-plus-26x195-tire
                > They look pretty decent as an all-rounder, and they have a dynamo strip. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

              • Nathan Bosch
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 26, 2012
                  As a guy who has written "some blog posts by a guy who uses his Big Dummy to carry equipment out to his research sites"  I'll throw my two cents out there.

                  (I don't know for sure if it was my posts that you read or not, but if there is somebody else hauling research equipment with a Dummy I'd love to have the link and the chance to pick his brain.)

                  First off I see you bought the Kendas.  Looked like a great deal on a quality tire, I hope you enjoy them and report back when you've got some miles and an opinion on them.

                  As for my set up, I am a tire tinkerer.  I enjoy experimenting with different tire/rim combos just to see what happens.  On the BigDonkey I've tried a number of things including:  2.4 Maxxis Holy Rollers, 3.7 Surly Endomorph (up front only), 3.0 Nokian Gazzaloddi, 2.1 Bontrager 'generic style mountainbike tires', 29x2.35 Schwalbe Big Apples, and my favorite set up 26x2.35 Big Apples.

                  All of these tires were run on a widish (~44mm) Alex DM24 rim, and a couple also spent time on a modified Sun Ringle Double wide.

                  If you were posing this question regarding a non-longtail setup, I would hands down recommend the Holy Rollers (which I've run in the summer on couple different bikes, including my Surly 1x1), but a cargobike is a different beast.
                  This spring a gypsy I crossed path with traded me some Holy Rollers he had for the Big Apples I'd been running on my Dummy.  A few thousand miles later he was switching to full on fat tires and offered to mail my Big Apples back to me, to which I enthusiastically said 'yes'.  I swapped the Holy Rollers off and slapped the Big Apples back on and everything was again right with the world.  Not that the Holy Rollers were bad or lacking, but I just find the Big Apples to be a little nicer, a little quieter, a little smoother and a little more pleasant to ride.

                  The Big Apples plenty of traction for almost all of the trail riding I do on the Dummy.  The long, stable cargo bike isn't getting rallied through corners quite the same way a regular bike would so cornering traction isn't a huge issue.
                  The flat protection from the tires is fantastic and the ride quality is super plush.  I think Gypsy Nick rode something like 3,000 flat free,  loaded, touring miles on my well used Big Apples before mailing them back.

                  A flat tire on a loaded cargobike could be particularly inconvenient.
                  Knock on wood, but in the past 3 years I've had no flats on the Big Donkey that I can recall.
                  I have however shifted the chain off the top of the cassette a couple of times and learned how annoying rear wheel repairs in the field can be.

                  I've had more than one instance of slamming hard into an unavoidable rock and feeling my rim make contact with the rim.  Not only have I escaped without pinch flats, but I've also not had to true the rims.
                  It looks like the Schwalbe Fat Franks would also be a excellent option and perhaps provide a hair more traction.

                  Just my thoughts, no more right or wrong than anyone else's, but I'll put them out there for what they're worth.
                  Have fun,

                  -nthn
                • kiltie_celt
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 26, 2012
                    Yep, that was you. Good advice on the tires. I notice a lot of those you mention are seriously fat tires. I wonder about potential clearance issues on my Stumpy frame should I decide to try some high-flotation rubber in the future. The other issue is running fenders large enough to give decent coverage front and rear. I saw that your Big Dummy doesn't sport fenders which probably helps with clearance on some of those bigger diameter tires. Having had my first set of fenders on my daily commuter, I can't see owning a bike without them now. Anyway, I'll be sure to tender a report on the Kendas once I get some serious miles on them.

                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Nathan Bosch <nathanjbosch@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    >
                    > A flat tire on a loaded cargobike could be particularly inconvenient.
                    > Knock on wood, but in the past 3 years I've had no flats on the Big Donkey that I can recall.
                    > I have however shifted the chain off the top of the cassette a couple of times and learned how annoying rear wheel repairs in the field can be.
                    >
                    > I've had more than one instance of slamming hard into an unavoidable rock and feeling my rim make contact with the rim. Not only have I escaped without pinch flats, but I've also not had to true the rims.
                    > It looks like the Schwalbe Fat Franks would also be a excellent option and perhaps provide a hair more traction.
                    >
                    > Just my thoughts, no more right or wrong than anyone else's, but I'll put them out there for what they're worth.

                  • David Dannenberg
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 27, 2012
                      On my Big Dummy I run Planet Bike 29er fenders with my 2.5" Maxxis Hookworms. The fenders work wonderfully. Off now to ride it to work in mixed snow and rain...