Re: [rootsradicals] Bicycle workstand for Xtracycle?

  • Steve Fuller
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 23, 2012
      I have a Big Dummy. For maintenance work I remove the wideloaders, etc. and hang it from the ceiling via the bike lift, where it is normally stored anyway. For most maintenance tasks, a little bit of swing isn't a huge deal. If it is, I either move it to the floor, or put something underneath one of the wheels so it doesn't move.

      Steve

      On Nov 21, 2012, at 7:21 PM, kiltie_celt wrote:

      This might fit under the category of "obvious answers to dumb questions", but how do you generally work on your Xtracycles? I'm guessing because of where the seatpost ends up in relation to the rest of the bike, that clamping the whole thing in a workstand probably doesn't work? In the past when I've needed to make adjustments to my rear derailleur on my commuter bike I've put it into my trainer which works, but is a pain in the rear since you have to sit hunched up on the floor to work on everything. I've been planning on buying an actual workstand but I'm wondering if it'll be of any use with the Xtracycle I'm building. Whether I can use it on the Xtracycle is not going to bias the purchase, I'm getting a stand either way. It's just that doing things like brakes and shifting would be so much easier if I could stand up.