RE: [rootsradicals] Re: Bicycle workstand for Xtracycle?

    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 22, 2012
      I have heard of a bike shop in an old barn, which uses rope nooses tied
      to the wooden rafters. I believe one attaches to the seat and another to
      the handlebars. It sounds cool, but I am not sure how the possibility of
      swinging might restrict or help while repairing a bike.
      There was a documentary on-line about someone with an electric Xtracycle,
      who biked across Canada from coast to coast. I think that person is even
      probably on this list. Anyway, I remember him encountering a guy with a
      bike shop where bikes were “suspended” from the ceiling. I say
      “suspended” in quotes because technically the bikes were not suspended
      because they did not swing or rotate. There were vertical pipes bolted to
      the ceiling, and the mechanic would detach a bike’s seat, then use the
      bike’s own seat post quick release to clamp the bike up in the air. In
      effect, the pipe coming down from the ceiling replaced the seat post in
      the seat tube. I thought that was a very clever idea because a few pipes
      attached to the ceiling are much cheaper than several work stands, and
      there is nothing in the way when sweeping/mopping the floor, etc. The
      only drawback was temporarily marking the depth of the seat post to make
      sure the seat was put back just like the rider wanted it.

      Ride safe,
      _TONE_
    • gear.head@verizon.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 22, 2012
        Speaking from experience the rope idea is much better in principle than practice. Before I bought a proper purpose built stand I did a rafter suspended arrangement using motorcycle tie downs. It worked, but was very inconvenient. Always seemed to be at the wrong angle and always was swaying away from me at the wrong time. If you have no other option give it a try but beware it has plenty of drawbacks. I would try some of the home stand variants on instructables.com first.

        Sean

        From: "Tone" <tone@...>
        Sender: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 19:42:37 -0500
        To: <rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: RE: [rootsradicals] Re: Bicycle workstand for Xtracycle?

[...]

      • Steve Fuller
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 23, 2012
          I have a Big Dummy. For maintenance work I remove the wideloaders, etc. and hang it from the ceiling via the bike lift, where it is normally stored anyway. For most maintenance tasks, a little bit of swing isn't a huge deal. If it is, I either move it to the floor, or put something underneath one of the wheels so it doesn't move.

          Steve

          On Nov 21, 2012, at 7:21 PM, kiltie_celt wrote:

          This might fit under the category of "obvious answers to dumb questions", but how do you generally work on your Xtracycles? I'm guessing because of where the seatpost ends up in relation to the rest of the bike, that clamping the whole thing in a workstand probably doesn't work? In the past when I've needed to make adjustments to my rear derailleur on my commuter bike I've put it into my trainer which works, but is a pain in the rear since you have to sit hunched up on the floor to work on everything. I've been planning on buying an actual workstand but I'm wondering if it'll be of any use with the Xtracycle I'm building. Whether I can use it on the Xtracycle is not going to bias the purchase, I'm getting a stand either way. It's just that doing things like brakes and shifting would be so much easier if I could stand up.