Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Bicycle workstand for Xtracycle?

  • Devian Gilbert
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 21, 2012
      typically I place the bike stand clamp on the "tongue" of an XtraCycle, where the bike is balanced.

      On Nov 21, 2012, at 9:18 PM, Sean wrote:

      The reality is, for most stuff you do not need a stand if you have a good center kickstand like the kickback. The front wheel is off the ground for front end work. For chain lube etc. you can rock it forward and prop it up or weight the front rack if you have one.

      Sean

      Sent from my iPad

      On Nov 21, 2012, at 8:56 PM, "kiltie_celt" <kiltie_celt@...> wrote:

      I guess the key is being sensible too and removing unnecessary items like the deck, load bars, running boards, etc. Basically everything that weighs down the bike and probably needs to be removed anyway for better access to the mechanicals.

    • bruno.verachten@laposte.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 22, 2012
        I use X-Tools Workshop Prep Stand Wall Mount for the "naked" xtracycle of mine, and it works fine.
      • David Dannenberg
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 22, 2012
          I use a good workstand with my Big Dummy. For most things it is OK to raise the bike but let the front wheel stay on the ground--the angle doesn't matter. The other thing that helps is to suspend the end from the ceiling if you have a good way to do that.

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 22, 2012
            I have heard of a bike shop in an old barn, which uses rope nooses tied
            to the wooden rafters. I believe one attaches to the seat and another to
            the handlebars. It sounds cool, but I am not sure how the possibility of
            swinging might restrict or help while repairing a bike.
            There was a documentary on-line about someone with an electric Xtracycle,
            who biked across Canada from coast to coast. I think that person is even
            probably on this list. Anyway, I remember him encountering a guy with a
            bike shop where bikes were “suspended” from the ceiling. I say
            “suspended” in quotes because technically the bikes were not suspended
            because they did not swing or rotate. There were vertical pipes bolted to
            the ceiling, and the mechanic would detach a bike’s seat, then use the
            bike’s own seat post quick release to clamp the bike up in the air. In
            effect, the pipe coming down from the ceiling replaced the seat post in
            the seat tube. I thought that was a very clever idea because a few pipes
            attached to the ceiling are much cheaper than several work stands, and
            there is nothing in the way when sweeping/mopping the floor, etc. The
            only drawback was temporarily marking the depth of the seat post to make
            sure the seat was put back just like the rider wanted it.

            Ride safe,
            _TONE_
          • gear.head@verizon.net
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 22, 2012
              Speaking from experience the rope idea is much better in principle than practice. Before I bought a proper purpose built stand I did a rafter suspended arrangement using motorcycle tie downs. It worked, but was very inconvenient. Always seemed to be at the wrong angle and always was swaying away from me at the wrong time. If you have no other option give it a try but beware it has plenty of drawbacks. I would try some of the home stand variants on instructables.com first.

              Sean

              From: "Tone" <tone@...>
              Sender: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 19:42:37 -0500
              To: <rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com>
              ReplyTo: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: RE: [rootsradicals] Re: Bicycle workstand for Xtracycle?

[...]

            • Steve Fuller
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 23, 2012
                I have a Big Dummy. For maintenance work I remove the wideloaders, etc. and hang it from the ceiling via the bike lift, where it is normally stored anyway. For most maintenance tasks, a little bit of swing isn't a huge deal. If it is, I either move it to the floor, or put something underneath one of the wheels so it doesn't move.

                Steve