Bicycle workstand for Xtracycle?

  • kiltie_celt
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 21, 2012
      This might fit under the category of "obvious answers to dumb questions", but how do you generally work on your Xtracycles? I'm guessing because of where the seatpost ends up in relation to the rest of the bike, that clamping the whole thing in a workstand probably doesn't work? In the past when I've needed to make adjustments to my rear derailleur on my commuter bike I've put it into my trainer which works, but is a pain in the rear since you have to sit hunched up on the floor to work on everything. I've been planning on buying an actual workstand but I'm wondering if it'll be of any use with the Xtracycle I'm building. Whether I can use it on the Xtracycle is not going to bias the purchase, I'm getting a stand either way. It's just that doing things like brakes and shifting would be so much easier if I could stand up.
    • Sam Knight
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 21, 2012
        A good solid stand can take an xtracycle.  I have a Park PCS-1 which is an older "home mechanic" model and it supports my xtra which weighs in around 45 lbs.  It's a little more awkward than a regular bike, but it's certainly doable.  I also stick my tandem in it and that's longer and heavier than my xtra.  Just look for one with a good solid clamp and a stable base and you'll be all set.

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 21, 2012
          Good to know. I guess if you can put a tandem into a workstand to work on it, then an Xtracycle sounds like not that big of a deal. Cool.

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Sam Knight <knightscape@...> wrote:

          > A good solid stand can take an xtracycle. I have a Park PCS-1 which is an
          > older "home mechanic" model and it supports my xtra which weighs in around
          > 45 lbs. It's a little more awkward than a regular bike, but it's certainly
          > doable. I also stick my tandem in it and that's longer and heavier than my
          > xtra. Just look for one with a good solid clamp and a stable base and
          > you'll be all set.
          >

          > On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 8:21 PM, kiltie_celt <kiltie_celt@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > This might fit under the category of "obvious answers to dumb questions",
          > > but how do you generally work on your Xtracycles? I'm guessing because of
          > > where the seatpost ends up in relation to the rest of the bike, that
          > > clamping the whole thing in a workstand probably doesn't work? In the past
          > > when I've needed to make adjustments to my rear derailleur on my commuter
          > > bike I've put it into my trainer which works, but is a pain in the rear
          > > since you have to sit hunched up on the floor to work on everything. I've
          > > been planning on buying an actual workstand but I'm wondering if it'll be
          > > of any use with the Xtracycle I'm building. Whether I can use it on the
          > > Xtracycle is not going to bias the purchase, I'm getting a stand either
          > > way. It's just that doing things like brakes and shifting would be so much
          > > easier if I could stand up.

        • Sean
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 21, 2012
            I concur, I have the older version of the Park stand as well. It is a bit of a chore to get it up on the stand but works just fine. I too have used it for my tandem. However, with the tandem I usually throw a bungee around the back seat to the rafter as to not over load the stand to one side. This advice may not cross over to other brands but the Park stuff I own all seems to be top notch quality. If you are considering a bike stand I would steer you to a park brand one.

            Sean

            Sent from my iPad

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 21, 2012
              I guess the key is being sensible too and removing unnecessary items like the deck, load bars, running boards, etc. Basically everything that weighs down the bike and probably needs to be removed anyway for better access to the mechanicals.

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 21, 2012
                The reality is, for most stuff you do not need a stand if you have a good center kickstand like the kickback. The front wheel is off the ground for front end work. For chain lube etc. you can rock it forward and prop it up or weight the front rack if you have one.

                Sean

                Sent from my iPad

                On Nov 21, 2012, at 8:56 PM, "kiltie_celt" <kiltie_celt@...> wrote:

                I guess the key is being sensible too and removing unnecessary items like the deck, load bars, running boards, etc. Basically everything that weighs down the bike and probably needs to be removed anyway for better access to the mechanicals.

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Sean <gear.head@...> wrote:

                > I concur, I have the older version of the Park stand as well. It is a bit of a chore to get it up on the stand but works just fine. I too have used it for my tandem. However, with the tandem I usually throw a bungee around the back seat to the rafter as to not over load the stand to one side. This advice may not cross over to other brands but the Park stuff I own all seems to be top notch quality. If you are considering a bike stand I would steer you to a park brand one.
                >
                > Sean
                >
                > Sent from my iPad
                >
                > On Nov 21, 2012, at 5:21 PM, "kiltie_celt" <kiltie_celt@...> wrote:
                >
                > > This might fit under the category of "obvious answers to dumb questions", but how do you generally work on your Xtracycles? I'm guessing because of where the seatpost ends up in relation to the rest of the bike, that clamping the whole thing in a workstand probably doesn't work? In the past when I've needed to make adjustments to my rear derailleur on my commuter bike I've put it into my trainer which works, but is a pain in the rear since you have to sit hunched up on the floor to work on everything. I've been planning on buying an actual workstand but I'm wondering if it'll be of any use with the Xtracycle I'm building. Whether I can use it on the Xtracycle is not going to bias the purchase, I'm getting a stand either way. It's just that doing things like brakes and shifting would be so much easier if I could stand up.

              • Devian Gilbert
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 21, 2012
                  typically I place the bike stand clamp on the "tongue" of an XtraCycle, where the bike is balanced.

                • bruno.verachten@laposte.net
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 22, 2012
                    I use X-Tools Workshop Prep Stand Wall Mount for the "naked" xtracycle of mine, and it works fine.
                  • David Dannenberg
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 22, 2012
                      I use a good workstand with my Big Dummy. For most things it is OK to raise the bike but let the front wheel stay on the ground--the angle doesn't matter. The other thing that helps is to suspend the end from the ceiling if you have a good way to do that.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 22, 2012
                        I have heard of a bike shop in an old barn, which uses rope nooses tied
                        to the wooden rafters. I believe one attaches to the seat and another to
                        the handlebars. It sounds cool, but I am not sure how the possibility of
                        swinging might restrict or help while repairing a bike.
                        There was a documentary on-line about someone with an electric Xtracycle,
                        who biked across Canada from coast to coast. I think that person is even
                        probably on this list. Anyway, I remember him encountering a guy with a
                        bike shop where bikes were “suspended” from the ceiling. I say
                        “suspended” in quotes because technically the bikes were not suspended
                        because they did not swing or rotate. There were vertical pipes bolted to
                        the ceiling, and the mechanic would detach a bike’s seat, then use the
                        bike’s own seat post quick release to clamp the bike up in the air. In
                        effect, the pipe coming down from the ceiling replaced the seat post in
                        the seat tube. I thought that was a very clever idea because a few pipes
                        attached to the ceiling are much cheaper than several work stands, and
                        there is nothing in the way when sweeping/mopping the floor, etc. The
                        only drawback was temporarily marking the depth of the seat post to make
                        sure the seat was put back just like the rider wanted it.

                        Ride safe,
                        _TONE_
                      • gear.head@verizon.net
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 22, 2012
                          Speaking from experience the rope idea is much better in principle than practice. Before I bought a proper purpose built stand I did a rafter suspended arrangement using motorcycle tie downs. It worked, but was very inconvenient. Always seemed to be at the wrong angle and always was swaying away from me at the wrong time. If you have no other option give it a try but beware it has plenty of drawbacks. I would try some of the home stand variants on instructables.com first.

                          Sean

                          From: "Tone" <tone@...>
                          Sender: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
                          Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 19:42:37 -0500
                          To: <rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com>
                          ReplyTo: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
                          Subject: RE: [rootsradicals] Re: Bicycle workstand for Xtracycle?

[...]

                        • Steve Fuller
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 23, 2012
                            I have a Big Dummy. For maintenance work I remove the wideloaders, etc. and hang it from the ceiling via the bike lift, where it is normally stored anyway. For most maintenance tasks, a little bit of swing isn't a huge deal. If it is, I either move it to the floor, or put something underneath one of the wheels so it doesn't move.

                            Steve